What books are you reading?

Just finished Legends and Lattes by Travis Baldree, a twist on the normal fantasy novel. Not great, but I enjoyed it enough to want to read the next in the series.

About to start Fool Me Twice by Jeff Lindsey.

Cancer and the New Biology of Water Hardcover – September 30, 2019​

Why the War on Cancer Has Failed and What That Means for More Effective Prevention and Treatment
A groundbreaking look at the role of water in living organisms that ultimately brings us closer to answering the riddle of the etiology of, and therapy and treatment for, cancer
When President Nixon launched the War on Cancer with the signing of the National Cancer Act of 1971 and the allocation of billions of research dollars, it was amidst a flurry of promises that a cure was within reach. The research establishment was trumpeting the discovery of oncogenes, the genes that supposedly cause cancer. As soon as we identified them and treated cancer patients accordingly, cancer would become a thing of the past.
Fifty years later it’s clear that the War on Cancer has failed―despite what the cancer industry wants us to believe. New diagnoses have continued to climb; one in three people in the United States can now expect to battle cancer during their lifetime. For the majority of common cancers, the search for oncogenes has not changed the treatment: We’re still treating with the same old triad of removing (surgery), burning out (radiation), or poisoning (chemotherapy).
In Cancer and the New Biology of Water, Thomas Cowan, MD, argues that this failure was inevitable because the oncogene theory is incorrect―or at least incomplete―and based on a flawed concept of biology in which DNA controls our cellular function and therefore our health. Instead, Dr. Cowan tells us, the somatic mutations seen in cancer cells are the result of a cellular deterioration that has little to do with oncogenes, DNA, or even the nucleus. The root cause is metabolic dysfunction that deteriorates the structured water that forms the basis of cytoplasmic―and therefore, cellular―health.
Despite mainstream medicine’s failure to bring an end to suffering or deliver on its promises, it remains illegal for physicians to prescribe anything other than the “standard of care” for their cancer patients―no matter how dangerous and ineffective that standard may be―and despite the fact that gentler, more effective, and more promising treatments exist. While Dr. Cowan acknowledges that all of these treatments need more research, Cancer and the New Biology of Water is an impassioned plea from a long-time physician that these promising treatments merit our attention and research dollars and that patients have the right to information, options, and medical freedom in matters of their own life and death.

Just started Journey to the Center of the Earth by Jules Verne. I loved the 50s movie so I thought I'd give the book a shot.

It's been a really long time, but I don't remember being impressed by the book. And 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea is a top 5 book of mine.

It's been a really long time, but I don't remember being impressed by the book. And 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea is a top 5 book of mine.
The first bit of the of the book has literally been the uncle and kid trying to decipher the piece of paper. Do we really need 20 pages devoted to that? lol

It's a relatively short book so I'll power through it. I hope it gets better when they get on with the journey.

Also, it's sort of odd reading it because it's been translated from French to English, so the English sounds a bit wonky.

The first bit of the of the book has literally been the uncle and kid trying to decipher the piece of paper. Do we really need 20 pages devoted to that? lol

It's a relatively short book so I'll power through it. I hope it gets better when they get on with the journey.

Also, it's sort of odd reading it because it's been translated from French to English, so the English sounds a bit wonky.

That's Verne. About twenty percent of 20K Leagues is the characters identifying taxonomic labels of sea life.

That's Verne. About twenty percent of 20K Leagues is the characters identifying taxonomic labels of sea life.
What do you think of the 50s movies based on both books?

I actually watched both last year for the first time. Thought 20000 was kinda meh and loved Journey.

What do you think of the 50s movies based on both books?

I actually watched both last year for the first time. Thought 20000 was kinda meh and loved Journey.

I liked Journey more. 20K was my first experience in "the book was better", and I was a kid then.

Scoop by Evelyn Waugh. A satirical novel that explores the world of journalism and the absurdities that can arise in the pursuit of a good story. Published in 1938, the novel follows the misadventures of William Boot, a country gentleman who is mistakenly sent to cover a war in Africa. Based on Waugh's experience writing for London's Daily Mail.

I never knew there was a second volume. What did you think about the first volume?
I’m fascinated with Russian history especially the past 100 years. I’m currently reading Autopsy of a Regimen. It takes you through all Russian leaders from 1917 to the fall of the Soviet Union. No other way to put it except ‘Russia has been through some shit’ lol.

Edit: My view is from an American perspective

There's 3 volumes with the second being the best imo. All great though.

I love Russian history and am obsessed with their literature as well. Devouring a few books on the Romanovs and Rasputin at the moment. Such a rich history.

If you are interested in chechen war era then i recommend one soldiers war by arkadi babtsenko, written by guy who was in both conflicts.

Good view on chechen war and rus military at the time (author was nearly raped at some point)

Also author later became journalist, had assasination attempt on him and fled to ukraine, also had biggest honor man can have by having thread about him in war room after assasination attempt

Finishing up Tender is the Flesh. Did not really enjoy the beginning - but became more fucked up and bizarre as it went along. i should have done by the end of the day.

Picked up 3 books over the weekend.

11.22.63 - Stephen King.
The Gone World - Tom Sweterlitsch
I am Legend - Richard Matheson.

still deciding which one to start with.

81gVZMsmNFL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Just finished The Hero of Ages, book 3 of the Mistborn trilogy. This last book started slow, but man did it finish strong. The series continues on, but way in the future. Will get to it eventually but want to get to other books in my backlog.

If you are interested in chechen war era then i recommend one soldiers war by arkadi babtsenko, written by guy who was in both conflicts.

Good view on chechen war and rus military at the time (author was nearly raped at some point)

Also author later became journalist, had assasination attempt on him and fled to ukraine, also had biggest honor man can have by having thread about him in war room after assasination attempt
I am. Those Chechens are a rough and tough bunch. Thanks bro.

going back a while now but somewhere, another thread maybe someone mentioned a sort of oriental adventure fiction and I cant remember the name ... it was titled emerald something or something to do with the colour green

Recently finished:
A Lament for a Nation-George Grant
Rudin- Ivan Turgenev
The Experience Machine- Andy Clark

Currently reading:
The Tragedy of Central Europe-Milan Kundera
A Biography of Franz Kafka-Max Brod
Portrait of an Artist as a Young Man- James Joyce
New Essays on Metaphilosophy--The Canadian Journal of Philosophy

Back