What did you find more amazin? Wilder vs Ortiz 1 or Wilder vs Arreola?

Naoya#1

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
For me it was the Arreola fight.

Wilder had a broken hand & a torn bicep and still stopped Arreola.

<{vega}>

Neither amazed me. That said his Ortiz win counted for a lot more than the one over Nipples.

Neither amazed me. That said his Ortiz win counted for a lot more than the one over Nipples.

I meant Wilders heart as a puncher.

Pretty sure most boxers would just quit when they suffer a torn bicep and a broken hand.

I meant Wilders heart as a puncher.

Pretty sure most boxers just quit when they suffer a torn bicep.
It's impressive but I'm not sure I'd agree that most would quit. Many probably would. We know that Wilder is tough and has dog in him. Vitali once retired in his corner after suffering a torn rotator cuff. Would Wilder have done that? Not a chance.

It's impressive but I'm not sure I'd agree that most would quit. Many probably would. We know that Wilder is tough and has dog in him. Vitali once retired in his corner after suffering a torn rotator cuff. Would Wilder have done that? Not a chance.
Wilder was still trying to get up after the last Fury knock down.
He wouldn't have retired in the corner for anything.

Wilder was still trying to get up after the last Fury knock down.
He wouldn't have retired in the corner for anything.
That's what I'm saying. Wilder is as game as they come. There's no quit in him even if he's badly injured and being brutalized in there. When Breland threw in the towel in the second Fury fight Wilder gave him the death stare and subsequently fired him over it. He's a dog.

Ortiz 1 for me .
At the time Ortiz was the boogey man of the division that boxing snobs wanted to put on a pedestal. The odds were not reflective of how it seemed most hardcore fans thought Ortiz was going to get the upset easy.

Wilder was looked at as a complete joke. The "expert" fan scouting report on him was that he had 0 chin. As well as" weak bambi legs." Everyone back then swore he would get KO'ed stiff if he ever faced a skilled heavy weight.

I watched the fight with my friend who didn't believe the Wilder hype at all. He often referred to Wilder as a the "Wilder-than a cat fight -bum."

It was a great action packed fight. Wilder recovering and taking Ortiz's best shots only to brutally stop him turned the perception of Wilder from a joke to a legit champion.
He showed he had a hell of a chin
High level ring IQ with the clinching and recovery
Freakish strength, I remember him ragdolling Ortiz a few times.
That he had legs and could take brutal body work
That he wasn't just a looping or clubbing right. He actually finished Ortiz with a sick uppercut.

Made a believer out my buddy that's for sure.

Ortiz 1 for me .
At the time Ortiz was the boogey man of the division that boxing snobs wanted to put on a pedestal. The odds were not reflective of how it seemed most hardcore fans thought Ortiz was going to get the upset easy.

Wilder was looked at as a complete joke. The "expert" fan scouting report on him was that he had 0 chin. As well as" weak bambi legs." Everyone back then swore he would get KO'ed stiff if he ever faced a skilled heavy weight.

I watched the fight with my friend who didn't believe the Wilder hype at all. He often referred to Wilder as a the "Wilder-than a cat fight -bum."

It was a great action packed fight. Wilder recovering and taking Ortiz's best shots only to brutally stop him turned the perception of Wilder from a joke to a legit champion.
He showed he had a hell of a chin
High level ring IQ with the clinching and recovery
Freakish strength, I remember him ragdolling Ortiz a few times.
That he had legs and could take brutal body work
That he wasn't just a looping or clubbing right. He actually finished Ortiz with a sick uppercut.

Made a believer out my buddy that's for sure.
that fight was awesome, but i still maintain ortiz would've beaten him if he wasn't 57 years old. i mean, the criticism of wilder was valid, he does stupid shit technically. but he is tough, durable, and has the nuclear option. he will not quit. you need to beat his ass into the ground or he can knock you out with 5 seconds left in the 12th round.

Vitali has a PhD and is a successful politician (albeit infamous for saying dumb things a la GWB), of course he did the smart thing for his career.

Too bad a ton of haters decided to question his heart. As if Larry Merchant knows anything about having the heart of a champion.

Vitali has a PhD and is a successful politician (albeit infamous for saying dumb things a la GWB), of course he did the smart thing for his career.

Too bad a ton of haters decided to question his heart. As if Larry Merchant knows anything about having the heart of a champion.
I'm aware but I don't think it has anything to do with his PhD or being a successful politician. He was thinking of his longevity in the sport. Torn rotator cuffs are pretty serious injuries. Wilder is willing to do what's necessary at any cost, even at the expense of his long-term health. That's the difference.

I'm aware but I don't think it has anything to do with his PhD or being a successful politician. He was thinking of his longevity in the sport. Torn rotator cuffs are pretty serious injuries. Wilder is willing to do what's necessary at any cost, even at the expense of his long-term health. That's the difference.

I'm just saying, Vitali was smart. And that was a smart decision.

I'm just saying, Vitali was smart. And that was a smart decision.
It's a matter of perspective, really. Definitely a smart decision for the longevity of his career because torn rotator cuffs have impacted, even ended, the careers of other boxers. As you already noted, however, he took a lot of flak for it in the boxing world and from the general public. His stock took a hit for a while. He rebounded from it but just because it's been forgiven doesn't mean it's been forgotten.

this is the one thing i absolutely cannot stand about boxing pundits and commentators. a guy will get his ass beat, will not come out of his corner, all concussed... and these dickless fucks will run their mouths about how he has no heart and is a quitter.

even when a pro fighter says it, it rubs me wrong. but someone who's never set foot in the ring? shut the fuck up.

Wilder vs Ortiz 1 was probably one the best, if not the best, HW fight of the last decade.

Back