What does Islam have to do to surpass Khabib?

blaseblase

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Islam's in a weird place as a champion in that he didn't face any top fighters before getting a title shot and his two defenses were against a featherweight. He's only one win away from tying the lightweight title defense record but IMO that won't put him on Khabib's level. He's only beaten one contender in his division. You also have to consider Khabib's almost perfect career compared to Islam getting KO'd in the UFC.

Khabib - 7 top 10 wins
RDA
Poirier
Gaethje
Conor
Barboza
Johnson
Iaquinta

Islam - 2 top 10 wins
Oliveira
Hooker
Plus Volk 2x

How many more wins does Islam need to be a greater fighter than Khabib?

Clean out his division and then become double champ at WW.
Looking at the LW rankings, who besides Armen have an outside shot at beating Islam? Gamrot? Justin? Chandler? Max? Come on. There’s nothing for him at LW after the Armen fight. He’s at least a -300 vs anyone at LW. I can see if topuria steps up. But It’s time to accept his biggest challenge is Leon.

Islam's in a weird place as a champion in that he didn't face any top fighters before getting a title shot and his two defenses were against a featherweight. He's only one win away from tying the lightweight title defense record but IMO that won't put him on Khabib's level. He's only beaten one contender in his division. You also have to consider Khabib's almost perfect career compared to Islam getting KO'd in the UFC.

Khabib - 7 top 10 wins
RDA
Poirier
Gaethje
Conor
Barboza
Johnson
Iaquinta

Islam - 2 top 10 wins
Oliveira
Hooker
Plus Volk 2x

How many more wins does Islam need to be a greater fighter than Khabib?

Go back and erase his loss

Not sure, but if it takes place in that hot tub - it really needs to remain private.

<{katwhu}>

I'd like to see Islam beat Khamzat, Usman, Shavkat, or Leon Edwards on his record.

He needs to fight.

I love Islam but man he fight so rarely, like come on man..these dagestanis tear it up but they fight like once a year.

Beat a Conor type of opponent who would make you a star

Mad how wins at the Johnson/Iaquinta level are somehow an important metric now.

The answer is: he needs to defend a few more times and not retire in his prime.

Khabib's record aint that exceptional on paper, he retired too early to make it something special, so he'll likely be surpassed soon if Islam keeps fighting.

Just continue doing what he does. Stacking up wins and breaking the LW title defense record would do him great. If he manages to break Anderson Silvas's record of wins which he is getting closer to with each win that would pretty much seal the deal for me though.

Just continue doing what he does. Stacking up wins and breaking the LW title defense record would do him great. If he manages to break Anderson Silvas's record of wins which he is getting closer to with each win that would pretty much seal the deal for me though.
obvious answer
no one can deny you if u defend your belt more times

Looking at the LW rankings, who besides Armen have an outside shot at beating Islam? Gamrot? Justin? Chandler? Max? Come on. There’s nothing for him at LW after the Armen fight. He’s at least a -300 vs anyone at LW. I can see if topuria steps up. But It’s time to accept his biggest challenge is Leon.
Why do you assume he's going to win all of those fights? He's been KO'd before and he got rocked by a featherweight not long ago. Khabib had to strike for a round against Gaethje, there's no guarantee Islam can do the same without getting hurt since he doesn't have Khabib's chin. I'd favor him for sure but it's MMA, anything can happen.

I remember people were saying Volk had no challenges at featherweight and should stay at lightweight then look what happened. And that's a guy who cleaned out his division, which Islam hasn't done yet.

Back