What fighters from the old era could be competitive today and who wouldn't? BJ Penn, Sean Sherk, Hendo, Rampage.

- Matt Hughes would out wrestle almost every Welterweight right now. Only Usman, Khamzat and Colby have the skills to defend his takedowns. Maybe Shavkat too but I'm still not completely sold on his wrestling either. Hughes might just slam him and manhandle him like he did to so many others

- Any MMA coach would have Randy cutting to 205 or maybe even 185 today. He would still absolutely ragdoll every current UFC LHW or HW. Only Jones has the wrestling to stop Randy and Jones has 1 fight in the last 5 years so I don't really even count him as an active fighter anymore.

- Prime Shogun would destroy everyone at 205. He would take guys like Jiri and Poatan down and finish them with ground strikes. Everyone else he would either KO or take down for a TKO.

- Fedor would annihilate modern UFC Heavyweights.

- TS must be on crack
lmao
i need to know what your smoking

tf matt hughes gonna do at 170? are u serious?
and tf is fedor gonna do at HW?
may i remind you he look like nothing if theres drug testing invovled

this is fedors resume.his best wins where nog and cro cop lmfao
Untitled.png

Serious troll bait. Everyone knows today's divisions are the weakest they've been since 1999 except LW

Even then Sherk would be top 5 and Penn. Would be #1
Skillwise, I think prime BJ and Frankie Edgar would be competitive today but they're probably too small for LW. Here's a pic of Frankie and Khabib. I agree with TS they'd need to be at FW or BW.

1712552637453.png

- TS must be on crack
What's hilarious is that he thinks Sylvia would be in the top five, but Fedor wouldn't even be competitive.

Post-prime Fedor was doing this to Sylvia:

700full.jpg

Over ten years after losing to Fedor, this is what Hunt was doing to the "modern era" of Heavyweights:

giphy.gif

- Matt Hughes would out wrestle almost every Welterweight right now. Only Usman, Khamzat and Colby have the skills to defend his takedowns. Maybe Shavkat too but I'm still not completely sold on his wrestling either. Hughes might just slam him and manhandle him like he did to so many others

- Any MMA coach would have Randy cutting to 205 or maybe even 185 today. He would still absolutely ragdoll every current UFC LHW or HW. Only Jones has the wrestling to stop Randy and Jones has 1 fight in the last 5 years so I don't really even count him as an active fighter anymore.

- Prime Shogun would destroy everyone at 205. He would take guys like Jiri and Poatan down and finish them with ground strikes. Everyone else he would either KO or take down for a TKO.

- Fedor would annihilate modern UFC Heavyweights.

- TS must be on crack
Spot on...
Maybe he's on meth
Skillwise, I think prime BJ and Frankie Edgar would be competitive today but they're probably too small for LW. Here's a pic of Frankie and Khabib. I agree with TS they'd need to be at FW or BW.

View attachment 1038298

Been hearing this narrative a lot recently

Khabib is a LW Matt Hughes and BJ beat him twice. BJ is also bigger than Frankie.

Frankie also beat Oliveira. No one at LW has Frankie's combination of boxing foot work, speed and wrestling. He's a nightmare matchup for everyone except Islam.

As is prime BJ who had insane reaction time, boxing, bjj and takedown defense

Just because some guys are bigger now doesn't mean they're better

Shogun KOed Reem 2x.

None of the LHW today have good grappling other than Ankalev and to some degree Jan.

Shogun, Rashad and Rampage probably get GNP finishes on most of the top 5 today
they are all small

2022 account checks out.

Competitive
BJ Penn - 135/145
Sean Sherk - 145/155 too small for modern 170 but at 155 he would have a cardio advantage over most of the division at 145 he may be too drained to be effective. Could see Sherk beating many at 155.

Tim Silvia - HW. Big enough to hang with the bigger guys but quite slow may be top 5/10.

Hendo - 170/185/205/HW. He was durable, vicious and very skilled his power would translate all the way up to HW

Rampage - 205

Anderson - 170/185/205 170 Anderson Vs Leon would be a great fight. Anderson as he filled out would be competitive all the way up to 205 and maybe even HW.

Matt Serra 145/155 - too small for modern 170 but at 145/155 would be some great fights for Serra.

GSP - 155/170 - strong wrestling and great jab would be a challenge for most at 155 and 170.

Rashad Evans 170 185 - too small for 205 but would be some great fights for him at 170 and 185

Not competitive

Matt Hughes - 170. At 155 he may have a chance can not see him being competitive with any of the top 10 at 170.

Randy Couture - too small and slow for HW. Can't see him beating Poatan

Shogun - Not big/strong enough for 205. Poatan/Izzy all beat him badly.

Fedor - modern HW is weak but would struggle against Jones/Aspinal/Francis/DC. Do not think Fedora skillset translates well into the modern era. Jones would beat his knees and take him down, Aspinal would take him down, Francis is too big and DC would maul him mixing in takedowns

Karo - 170/155 Similar with Fedor his style would not translate well into the modern era.
You think Fedor and Randy would not be competetive but Tim Sylvia would? I get that Sylvia is a size freak but his durability and overall techinque is suspect even for that retro era, Randy made a joke outta him. Also Fedor beat him and mir so swiftly, so I definetely still see Fedor thriving in this era. Fedor is basically DC but bigger and he has a better standup game so why wouldn't he succeed?

The rest of this list is whatever, depleting some of the fighters from their OG weightclasses can change their game up a lot so just saying they would dominate naturally at lower weightclasses that they never bothered fighting in is silly. GSP would still do fine in WW even if he's short, Colby and Burns are doing well in that weightclass and they're about the same size and they are both vastly inferior in terms of being well-rounded like GSP.

Serious troll bait. Everyone knows today's divisions are the weakest they've been since 1999 except LW

Even then Sherk would be top 5 and Penn. Would be #1
you mean the weightclasses below LHW? mw, ww, lw, fw and even bw are full of straight assasins.

you mean the weightclasses below LHW? mw, ww, lw, fw and even bw are full of straight assasins.
FW and BW is better now.

LOL @MW being better now than this top 10

Weidman
Rockhold
Jacare
Romero
Mousasi
Machida
Kennedy
Vitor
Silva
Bisping