What Happened to Gus

His war with Cormier and then being KO'd by Rumble brought his prime to a close.

Very unlucky to be same era as Jones & Cormier

just mentioned it yesterday

he was unmotivated and wanted to sit on his ass until he got a jones rematch, and he got his wish and got destroyed. then after that, he gave up a choke against smith in what appeared like he just gave up and didn't want to fight anymore. it just seemed like once the fights got tough he didn't want to dig deep anymore and face adversity

its ironic as hell, because glover eventually realized his dream and got the title because he stayed motivated and in shape. AND gustaffson beat glover rather easily 5 years ago.

gus did the opposite, he was acting entitled at one point, and all of the sitting out and not being cage ready definitely did harm to his career.

if gus would have stayed at least half as busy and active as he ended up being, perhaps he captures the belt. DC and Jones aren't in his way anymore. but he gave up and didn't see things through, while glover did

What happened to Anthony Johnson?

He would knock Jiri out cold in 1 round if they fought. Jan wouldn't survive the 1st round either. Rumble knocked out Glover in 13 seconds.

And apparently Rumble Johnson knocked out Gus too...

I totally missed that fight

Honestly, it looked like a very bad clash of heads when Rumble through the punch after getting eye poked.
I have no objections to this statement.

I also have exceedingly minimal sympathy for having been headbutted after eye poke then an arguably dirty kick on the glove touch.

His effectiveness was built on his youth. The speed, athleticsm and insane endurance. Seems like he couldn't adapt to his physical aging and turned into an ordinary fighter.
You're partially right. Fighting takes a lot out of you. To be very close to dethroning a prime Jones after all that hard work down the drain over catching an elbow. That kinda shit gets to you whether you want it to or not.

His heart just isn’t in it anymore, and hasn’t been for a long time. Gus had inspirational performances, but he doesn’t and didn’t have the discipline to be a consistently great fighter.

Inspiration lasts for a moment. Discipline lasts for a lifetime.
He's mmas buster Douglas

No Jiri destroys any version of Gus. The other top LHWs during that era- Jones, DC, and Rumble, they would all beat Jiri. But not Gus. He would lose.

Last time we saw that Gus was the Glover fight. He was phenomenal that night

Rumble took the wind out of his sails before DC added insult to injury.

Outwrestled Jan and eye poked his way to a W against Glover. Seemed like he was back. Then Jones beat him again and Ant Smith as well. He tried HW, but half heartedly - showed up all fat for it, got strangled by Werdum.

Attempted to get proper big for HW by lifting weights, but changed his mind after people made fun of him - https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/shoop-that-sad-gus.4182876/ - and started talking about LHW again. Not sure what he's up to right now. I think him vs Dom Reyes would be a good fight.

Overall, it seems - not unlike Dom Reyes - he clung too much on almost beating Jon and didn't focus on what he should've focused.

You're partially right. Fighting takes a lot out of you. To be very close to dethroning a prime Jones after all that hard work down the drain over catching an elbow. That kinda shit gets to you whether you want it to or not.

I don't deny that, he clearly suffered from some mental issues after some of his losses. But I still look back and see him losing his physical attributes due to age/mileage and yet his style stayed exactly the same. The latter is a recipe for disaster in this constantly evolving sport.

He got married and had kids. That took away the need to be extremely focused to a point of being selfish.

Thats a shame, because if I remember correctly, that loss against Johnson started with a headbutt that rocked Gustafsson, and even though he was rocked and Johnson unleashed a barrage of strikes against him, he didn't go out whereas all the other fighters Johnson finished, (lil nog, Texiera, Bader etc) went out bad from one or two shots. Gus showed a really good chin in that situation considering, and if things played out differently and that fight went into later rounds Johnson almost assuredly would have gassed and faded.

Lol and if my aunt had dick she would be my uncle. Gus got KTFO in front of his fan, in his hometown. Deal with it.

Back