What happened to Marlon Moraes, why did he fall off so hard?

Marlon was my favorite BW coming up I was a fan during his WSOF (now PFL) run where he was consistently putting on bangers and has some amazing wins. To this day no one ever starched Rivera, Aljo and Assuncao quite like that. He also held a legitimate win over Aldo who went on to fight for the belt. He was a JBG at 135 which is extremely rare the only person putting on consistently exciting and fun fights is OMalley. Everyone else is a boring decision machine. Was it just the Cejudo fight that ruined him, lingering injuries? I just watch him prior to the Henry fight and after and it's not even the same fucking guy and got frustrating to watch as a fan. Literally the scariest killer turn into a joke
Yeah as a MMA fan, I would say, we or I knew he could have went further...and when he spoke on the mic and the crowd laughed at him...I was like, Keep kicking ass dude...it bothered me just cause the difference between the crowd laughing and him.....I wanted him to shut that crowd up..like hell..Tyson and AS had those hight pitch voices too..but he just did not change...but on his rise...I think he had a mental block ...like, oh I speak funny, but he sort of went casual ...like his performance, changed...maybe his gym was at fault...not sure..but he clearly went south...IDK why? ..because he was a tank ...IDK...he just slipped off that G...not sure why...but I saw it...and dont know why...my guess is he lost his will...but if he kept that will...he would have been something else...of course doubters will laugh at that idea...but IMO..he was clearly a champion...but looking at his record now...he just lost it somewhere ...and not sure why?

Out of 100 fighters one gotta drop off hard. Ko loss after ko loss. Statistics.

Legitimate win over Aldo? Nah, he lost that one, he knew he lost it when the decision was announced.

So close to 9 in a row.

Watching that fight live it just seemed like Aldo let him off too much in round 3, should have gone for it being the fresher man but was probably a bit tentative in fear of getting KO'd.

he didn't even get old overnight, he literally got old in a single rd. he was beating the breaks off Cejudo and then just wilted because of the forward pressure of Cejudo. Cejudo didn't even really land anything significant, Moraes just folded to the pressure. after that, he was done. it's a shame because he was a world beater for a long time but he heavily depended on his athleticism and unfortunately that's one of the first things to go as you age.

Probably sparred too hard. For a brief time his camp was Zabit, Edgar, Barboza etc etc etc. I think he left that camp too but hasn't found any success.

135 was REALLY good when he fell off. Probably deeper than any division in MMA history has ever been. There were no easy fights in that division. So while normally one would fall down the ladder and get a rebound there were no rebounds for Moraes. He went Aldo/Sandhagen/Font/Merab. In a different time and place Moraes would still be in the UFC.

He fights at 135 where this happens to everyone

Barao
Moraes
Neck Tat
Assuncao

Yan looked like he was next but maybe not
We'll see

Yan lost two razor thin splits and a 50-45 to the best contender in the division, I wouldn’t say he’s on the decline at all

His chin and cardio were always suspect but once Cejudo exposed him his confidence never recover and sometimes once a fighter's confidence its gone its all over.

He reminds me to Roy Jones Jr, once his athleisim was gone it was over, their style only works when you are on your prime, the second you start to decline it would affect their performance and just like RJJ Morales also have a glass jaw.

he lost the fire after he failed in his title bid. it happens often when a fighter misses his big opportunity, though the fall is not always so dramatic. it’s the pressure of being the best, all the time for years, and then the crushing blow of realizing your best wasn’t good enough. the first loss leads to the second loss, and then a third, until it becomes full blown self-doubt. it’s similar to what happened with volk, imo.

135 was REALLY good when he fell off. Probably deeper than any division in MMA history has ever been. There were no easy fights in that division. So while normally one would fall down the ladder and get a rebound there were no rebounds for Moraes. He went Aldo/Sandhagen/Font/Merab. In a different time and place Moraes would still be in the UFC.
I suspect as well he was viewed as someone the UFC wanted to "trade in" when he started losing, a good name for more markable fighters to beat.

He was super fast, but probably accumulated head trauma.

His chin went, I also think that fighters who cut massive amounts of weight like he did (he was absolutely shredded at 135) start having cardio issues younger.

Marlon was my favorite BW coming up I was a fan during his WSOF (now PFL) run where he was consistently putting on bangers and has some amazing wins. To this day no one ever starched Rivera, Aljo and Assuncao quite like that. He also held a legitimate win over Aldo who went on to fight for the belt. He was a JBG at 135 which is extremely rare the only person putting on consistently exciting and fun fights is OMalley. Everyone else is a boring decision machine. Was it just the Cejudo fight that ruined him, lingering injuries? I just watch him prior to the Henry fight and after and it's not even the same fucking guy and got frustrating to watch as a fan. Literally the scariest killer turn into a joke
Lost 8 of his last 10, and his last 7 in a row. All 8 by KO/TKO. He is 35 now and his style was based on speed and power mainly generated by speed.

Over the past three decades,
the number one thing that changes a person is a concussion in training.

Marlon got concussed in training,
and has not been the same fighter.
This is where his decline stems from.

No clue if he had multiple prior concussions,
or none, or simply returned to training too quickly.

This is the single most common reason fighters fall off, and the most important information for (illegal) betting.

Completely lost his confidence after the Cejudo fight and never got it back.

You hear fighters say all the time that confidence is everything in this game and that's a first hand example of it.

weight cut killed his cardio/chin.

Guy was one of the best

Back