What if Jones fought Randy in 2009?

Fedorgasm

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Around this time, Randy and Jones both fought and beat Brandon Vera.

But what if Vera was not in the mix and the UFC pit Jones against Randy instead?

Jones was on his way up and Randy was on his way down, but at this point in time they might have met in the middle and gave each other hell.

It's hard to imagine Jones losing, knowing how much success he had after this point in time, but I think Randy wouldn've had a very good shot.

1. Jones' best weapon was his Greco-Roman wrestling, but Randy was like a Greco-Roman god. There's no way Jones is winning in the clinch.
2. Jon didn't have KO power and that's where Randy was mostly vulnerable.

So if Randy was immune to Jon's strengths and only vulnerable to Jon's weakness, I would favor Randy in this fight. He's a very bad matchup for Jones.

Couture was like a god with his wrestling style that's a good way of putting it. But the clinch and transition game changes with a fighter the reach and size of Jones. It would have been a fun fight

I rate Randy very high all-time at 205. Definitely top 5.

I had never realized they could have crossed paths. Jones was very explosive and intelligent in the cage even back then. He wins anywhere except a collar tie clinch. Randy might also be able to catch a submission but I think hellbows are the most likely outcome.

Randy, who fought Vera, was at the very tail end of his career. Jones would have absolutely dominated Couture at that point.

i think i wouldve favored Jones but you can never ever count out the motherfuckin' Natural. Randy did shit no one thought was possible so many times; who's to say he couldnt have surprised and upset a green Jon Jones?

Jon was too good even back then. I remember seeing the Bonnar fight live and thinking this kid is going to be good, I didn't realize how good but I knew we were dealing with a special talent even in his second UFC fight.

Would have been a great fight. Considering how Randy was able to beat guys who were bigger than him. I still give Jones the edge because of his elbows and overall creativity when it comes to fighting.

I would have favored Couture at the time. Jones was really, really raw. His striking, in particular, had a long way to go.

Randy gets brutalized. 21yo Jones would be far, far too spry for 45yo Couture.

I'm a Jones hater, but he would have walked through Randy easily.
  1. In 2009, Randy was 46. There's no way a 46-year-old Randy could fend off the takedowns of a young, dynamic Jones.
  2. History has demonstrated that offensive wrestling is not the way to beat Jones. In his very next fight after Vera, Jones obliterated The Janitor (another high-level wrester) in under 2 minutes. In his next fight, Jones thoroughly clowned Bader (another high-level wrestler). In the fight before Vera, Jones smashed Hamill (another very good wrestler).
  3. And 46-year-old Randy wasn't going to beat Jones on the feet, despite how raw Jones's boxing was. He was too long and too dynamic.
I don't think it's even remotely competitive.

u forgot that was the hungry version of jones
he was explosive and very fast
bro u havent seen jones supplex a 220 lb man like bonnar?

1. In 2009, Randy was 46. There's no way a 46-year-old Randy could fend off the takedowns of a young, dynamic Jones.
  2. History has demonstrated that offensive wrestling is not the way to beat Jones. In his very next fight after Vera, Jones obliterated The Janitor (another high-level wrester) in under 2 minutes. In his next fight, Jones thoroughly clowned Bader (another high-level wrestler). In the fight before Vera, Jones smashed Hamill (another very good wrestler).
  3. And 46-year-old Randy wasn't going to beat Jones on the feet, despite how raw Jones's boxing was. He was too long and too dynamic.
I don't think it's even remotely competitive.
ts just wanted to say that randy would beat jones
but randy would lose to fedor
it means fedor > jones
i know right

But nobody outwrestled Randy. Not even other high level wrestlers.

But nobody outwrestled Randy. Not even other high level wrestlers.
1. Randy wasn't 46 years old when he fought these "other high level wrestlers."
2. Jones was a better mma wrestler than anyone Randy ever fought. By a pretty wide margin, actually.

I think the version of Jones that fought Vera would’ve likely beaten Randy back then. The Vera vs Randy fight was competitive and arguably could’ve gone to Vera while Jones quickly and brutally ran through Vera.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eltonmjr
Back