What is a good bench press OVER your own weight? What is the record?

Whatever the bench world record is.

Look up Julius Maddox, might be a different spelling.

I think by general population standards anything over 1x bw is considered good, “gym strong” would probably be closer to 1.5x bw, and competitive PL’er would be right around 2x bw(though it varies depending on weight class).

3x bw, raw, will probably get you a WR.

2x bodyweight if you're super serious about bench pressing and probably not natural. 1.5x is solid tho if you don't care about the bench press that much or are natural.

Depends on how big you are. Manlets find a 2xbw much easier than normal or larger people. They have more advantageous levers and require the manufacture of less muscle tissue. Trying to create a rule across population is like using the cluster fuck that is BMI.

Look up john haack. He's benching right around 3x bw at 90kg. I find the explosive lifts (power snatch/clean), deadlift, and back/front squat to be much more so indicative of athletic capacity than the bench. Irrespective, 2x BW bench press will get you some eyes at any globo gym.

Also some competitors have such a high arch that they only lift the bar a couple of inches off their chest.

1,5x body weight is very good i rarely saw people doing even more than their own weight same for me i dont do bench press a lot or even lift but my average max is -30 -40kg of my own weight

Guess it depends on how often you bench press. If you've been benching for several years at least a couple times a week, 1.5x your bodyweight should a minimum. It's a skill you have to get better at just like anything else.

I've been lifting in some way shape or form for about ten years of my life and I can only bench about 1.5x my bodyweight..... but I don't bench often. Even if I work it into my program, I might bench once a week at the most. But if I really went hard and started benching three times a week and stuck with it for say a year straight.. I would expect to be benching 2x my body weight at that point. It's not that unrealistic even as a natty.

I would say OHP 1 x BW is more impressive than 1.5 / 2 x bw bench

I'm 95kg and can do 65 for 5's, so I am a ways off.

In my younger days I was getting 3's at 80 while weighing 85 ish.
I was a lot more conditioned then.

Bench I never really cared for as I don't often push fat birds off me so not much of a transferable skill.

I doubt anyone has ever been able to bench 2x body weight and not overhead press 1x body weight.

Uhhhh what?

1.5xBW might be debatable, but benching 2xBW is infinitely more impressive than pressing 1xBW. Think about what you just said.
2 x bw is infinitely more impressive if benched than 1 x bw over head with no leg drive?

Maybe I should have upped my antee with 1.5 bw over head press.

Edit; fair after 30 seconds reflection.
I just find benching a bit meh. Maybe because and due to being shit at it

?

2 x bw is infinitely more impressive if benched than 1 x bw over head with no leg drive?

Maybe I should have upped my antee with 1.5 bw over head press.

Edit; fair after 30 seconds reflection.
I just find benching a bit meh. Maybe because and due to being shit at it

?

Maybe you think most people have a 2:1 BP vs OHP ratio? In reality I think the average ratio would be closer to your press being around 55-70% of your BP for most people, or 1.8-1.4 : 1. So if a 180lbs lifter can bench 360lbs, I would bet he can overhead press more than 200lbs almost for sure, however, if I knew his OHP max was 180lbs (assuming he presses and benches with some regularity), there's no way I'd bet he benches 360lbs based on that. So yeah, I'd say 2xBW BP is a more unique and impressive feat than 1xBW OHP.

I think most people don't give the 1RM press too much importance because it's not a commonly contested lift or culturally important compared to the bench press. If it was, I think you'd see people pressing BW more commonly.

1.5BW press would be more debatable for sure.

Last edited:
Back