What is sherdogs obsession with Stipe?

YesMySon

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
He is alright I guess. His win over Andrei was great but Andrie's chin is always there for the taking.

Is it because he looks like cro-cop, even though he's from USA? Was Stipe's father or granfather an immigrant from croatia?

I just don't see the fighter you guys are seeing.

obsession?

I didn't know we had one for Stipe.

Hes 14 - 2 with nearly an 80% finish rate. He doesnt have a lot of fight miles like Cain, JDS, Econoreem, and the rest of the top 10 heavies, even though he is on the other side of 30. He is a pretty exciting fighter, so people feel he can win the title and keep it for a while. Most of all he is rarely hurt, but I find once someone wins the championship, injuries start to occur a lot more often, so.

Said it once, I'll say it again. People will go to incredible lengths to discredit Stipe.

He is alright I guess. His win over Andrei was great but Andrie's chin is always there for the taking.

Is it because he looks like cro-cop, even though he's from USA? Was Stipe's father or granfather an immigrant from croatia?

I just don't see the fighter you guys are seeing.

I think he came into the UFC with some hype due to fact he had legit wrestling and boxing credentials, plus the fact he tributed the likeable Cro Cop with the board shorts. As HW is usually lacking, people naturally jumped to his support.

I think some of us jumped off the hype from his early UFC performances. He seemed to lack cardio, was extremely hittable, and his standup didn't seem that great. He's basically Stefan Struve's only "name" win in the UFC, so that fight will be used againt Miocic for awhile, despite the fact that he has improved.

He's a textbook example of fighters sometimes improving, but us fans using the past against him.

He was doing really well against JDS, until he gassed, I felt he would have won that fight. The first round really looked like Cain vs JDS 4, he was dominating JDS. But he gassed late in the round, for whatever reason, and never recovered.

A fresh face in the division where most title fights are rematches.

He's been doing incredibly well since he went to Croatia to train with Crocop. He is a very good firefighter.

there is no obsession. Whats fair is fair.

I know. Every time anyone even mentions Stipe Miocic, all of Sherdog is like...

It's like Conor, Paige, Ronda and Sage don't even exist.

He's Croatian (kind of), and we still miss CroCop.

Also he's one of the newest guys in the division even though he's been around for years.

HW urgently needs new blood... I say scrap the 265 limit.

Maybe obsession was the wrong word? I just don't think he's championship material.

He's Croatian (kind of), t.

I was watching him fight with some guy at the bar and he kept calling stipe foreign. I was like he isn't foreign he's from the states. and he said "Just because he lives here doesnt mean he doesn't come from there and have the accent and culture". Then Stipe started talking and the guy shut his mouth real quick.

HW bisping with power, except his division is so shallow that he has a pretty good chance at becoming champ imo.

He's a country boy with heavy hands, crisp boxing, and good wrestling in a division that is super stagnant. It isn't an obsession, but he is one of the few "prospects" (years ago, I mean) who actually climbed the ranks, even after suffering a loss to Struve. You have to realize that HW is the worst division by far, so seeing a guy climb up and join the perennial guys is exciting and deserves the attention.

The question is, why are you so anti-Stipe, saying we're obsessed with him? I've seen that he gets about the same support and hate as just about everyone.

Said it once, I'll say it again. People will go to incredible lengths to discredit Stipe.

How is this going to incredible lengths to discredit him? I'm not that impressed with him either, don't see him taking the belt from Werdum, Cain, Overeem, or Jones if he moves up

He was doing really well against JDS, until he gassed, I felt he would have won that fight. The first round really looked like Cain vs JDS 4, he was dominating JDS. But he gassed late in the round, for whatever reason, and never recovered.
Cain vs JDS 4. Fuck I missed that one. Lol @ dominating. If your trying to imply he was having the same level of success as Cain, then your high as a kite. I got no problems with Stipe at all and he fought well but JDS handspeed was faster and he landed more. Stipe had some good moments but he still was getting outstruck.

Last edited:
Maybe obsession was the wrong word? I just don't think he's championship material.

Why don't you think he is? He's gone five hard rounds with the guy who KO'ed Werdum and Cain in a close fight, he has good striking, good wrestling, he's gassed here and there, so has everyone else but he has shown he can fight five rounds.

The forum doesn't have an obsession with Stipe, Rothwell on the other hand they're obsessed with.

Back