What is the main benefit of a heavier heavy bag?

Nosje

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I am training myself on a bag currently and I feel like a heavier bag would suit me better because of my punching power but.

what are the advantages of having a heavier bag like for example a 155 or 200 pound bag?

I am training myself on a bag currently and I feel like a heavier bag would suit me better because of my punching power but.

what are the advantages of having a heavier bag like for example a 155 or 200 pound bag?

The bag will move less and you will be able to throw heavier punch. So good for punching power.

But, it will be a bit harder on your joints. Thats why I prefer 115-130lb bag. But the density of the bag will also play a huge role.

I have 2 heavy bags. A 100 pounder and an 40 pounder. I prefer the heavier bag because I get a better workout. When working the 100 pounder, I feel it more in my chest, shoulders, arms and upper back/traps. When I’m at the gym, I get on a huge 200 pound Reyes bag for the same reasons. I also use 18-20oz gloves if I have sparred. I like to get out of my headgear and get 4-6 rounds on that bag to finish my workout. I just get more out of hitting the heavier bag. I use the smaller bag when focusing primarily on technique or fast combinations.

Back