What is the worst advice you've received?

"You should play on the rugby team."

with #11 booked for next month and #12 and possibly #13 this coming winter
O man. I just had another mri with contrast dye on my shoulder last Monday. Dr. Is gonna tell me if I need surgery or not. If I do I won't do it. About a year of rehab. Mostly my own rehab at home. Sucks because either way once I see em I won't have a "job".

I think all of that "money isn't everything" talk is coping.

Evey time someone says:
"You can't take it with you when you die."

I think: How's that affect me now?

Yes and no. Plenty of people who acquire a lot of money come to realize it doesn't fulfill their lives, and when they say "money isn't everything" it's true and is coming from experience. It's not coming from the same place as someone else who is struggling financially though.

Yes and no. Plenty of people who acquire a lot of money come to realize it doesn't fulfill their lives, and when they say "money isn't everything" it's true and is coming from experience. It's not coming from the same place as someone else who is struggling financially though.

Moneys ultility is in the words of Charles Foster Kane "to buy things". Once it ceases this purpose it loses its value.

Move up to Management in a corporate job, the rise in pay didn't make up for my life revolving around work. I literally had zero downtime, id get a message when I was sleeping about something random. My attitude and enjoyment of life in general took a massive hit and I missed so many opportunities to enjoy life with family.

Not the best advice but definitely up there was to leave said management position and go elsewhere, happier, more time to enjoy life, less stress and so on.

I think all of that "money isn't everything" talk is coping.

Evey time someone says:
"You can't take it with you when you die."

I think: How's that affect me now?
Extra money when you are already somewhat set is indeed not everything. But if you do not have enough to cover your basic needs and feel secure it impacts pretty much every aspect of your life.

My dad trying to talk me out of buying my first house in '94. Best investment I ever made.
my parents tried to talk me out of buying a home in 2010-2012.... they partially convinced me, I was going to buy multiple homes, ended up with only one, which has tripled in value.............................

"dont start a business"

lol, that was laughable as well

“Take the plea deal.”

Wtf, I’m innocent by the letter of the law? Instead I had her setup a meeting with the DA in which I told them exactly what happened, that I had a witness who would testify as much, and that I would go to trial.

They let me off.

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take"...

After the Camp Fire everyone told us to not buy a house and rent to see if we like the new area. We said fuck no and bought Jan 2020. If we would have rented we would have been priced out easily within a year.

My wife received some shocking career advice when she did a short course, a certificate in business.

The teacher said to keep a copy of their job description on them and if asked to do anything outside of it to show said job description and say it's not part of my role.

I mean if you want to piss your boss off and make sure he knows you're not a team player and entitled as fuck go right ahead, otherwise this is terrible career advice.

oof, that's nuts. great way to be the first on the chopping block and or never get a promotion.

reminds me of this...

kind of true though, employers can't run their employees dry.

gg6kvo60taa71.jpg

It wasn’t advice for me per say but a discussion I had with my kids mother, my ex. It was about debt and our son. She said, it’s better for him to get in debt so he can get himself out. All of you can imagine the stupidity of a statement it was. How bout teaching him not to get into debt in the first place. SMH

It wasn’t advice for me per say but a discussion I had with my kids mother, my ex. It was about debt and our son. She said, it’s better for him to get in debt so he can get himself out. All of you can imagine the stupidity of a statement it was. How bout teaching him not to get into debt in the first place. SMH
I swear all women are on the spectrum...

Back