What is there to hate about Pereira?

If Izzy fans didn't exist, Alex would be universally beloved. I saw hilarious Twitter post that "Izzy is still the better fighter, he won 8 out of 13 rounds with Periera".
Just the worst cope.

That was the only LHW fight he had and he got a title shot based on that single win. That’s some pretty egregious preferential treatment imo.

At least he got a top 5 win to earn the title shot. And I see no reason for a champ moving up to not give him a top ranked opponent.

Obviously a lot of adesanya fans hate him because Pereira is 3-1 vs adesanya. Plus the chimaev fans HATE Pereira because he made khamzat look like a GIGANTIC VAGINA

{<jordan}

I don’t see how you can hate on a champion that ices dudes with his lead left-hook with much frequency/accuracy

He is a striker and not of the point-fighting variety

At least he got a top 5 win to earn the title shot. And I see no reason for a champ moving up to not give him a top ranked opponent.
Well the MW championship he had was gifted too lol! And its not like he was some long-reigning champ where a TS in a new division could be justified after one win.
He got the MW title shot after beating two nobodies plus Strickland, which is pretty weak. He had 0 successful defenses, moved up to LHW wherein he fought 72-year-old Blachowicz and got another TS in a new weight class after he won. Having 1 win in the division and getting a TS is pretty sus whether that win is over a top 5 opponent or not—and now people are talking about him moving to HW.

He’s a good fighter but he’s def been the beneficiary of some gifts.

Don't hate the player, hate the game
I don’t hate Poatan. He’s entertaining, puts on good fights, and has sick finishes. But I’m also not going to act like he’s some ATG MW or LHW when his resume is thin and his title shots were gifted.

He's getting spoon fed strikers that have 1/8 of his striking experience.. He seems to be immune to that criticism.

I love watching him fight, but the same people that were crying about Conor, O'malley, Izzy not fighting wrestlers seem to not care about him beating up on dudes who doesn't have close to his striking experience.

It's this era lacking grappling more than anything.

Poatan's job is to fight the best fighters in his division(s). If almost all of them happen to be strikers then that is not on him. Jan, Hill, Jiri, Strickland, Adesanya. Clearly the best, right? All champs/former champs. Even the next best guys like Costa, Cannonier, the Italian meathead, Du Plesis. All strikers. All of them.

His job is to fight and beat the best, not find specific style matchups that will make things difficult for him. And you know what? he just called out Ankalaev.

Damn it really is hard to hate on this guy.

There used to be bellyaching about him getting fast tracked (and he was), but since he kept proving he deserves his spot that's mostly died down.

Well the MW championship he had was gifted too lol! And its not like he was some long-reigning champ where a TS in a new division could be justified after one win.
He got the MW title shot after beating two nobodies plus Strickland, which is pretty weak. He had 0 successful defenses, moved up to LHW wherein he fought 72-year-old Blachowicz and got another TS in a new weight class after he won. Having 1 win in the division and getting a TS is pretty sus whether that win is over a top 5 opponent or not—and now people are talking about him moving to HW.

He’s a good fighter but he’s def been the beneficiary of some gifts.

I don’t hate Poatan. He’s entertaining, puts on good fights, and has sick finishes. But I’m also not going to act like he’s some ATG MW or LHW when his resume is thin and his title shots were gifted.

Lets be honest, Poatan would have still ran through MW like a knife through butter. Every single top guy is a striker, and not even very great ones other than Adesanya. You deny this?

Even at LHW there's one top guy grappler, the Dagi who likes to stand up with opponents a lot and can't check a leg kick to save his ass. Good luck with that against Pereira.

Lets be honest, Poatan would have still ran through MW like a knife through butter. Every single top guy is a striker, and not even very great ones other than Adesanya. You deny this?

Even at LHW there's one top guy grappler, the Dagi who likes to stand up with opponents a lot and can't check a leg kick to save his ass. Good luck with that against Pereira.
We don’t know that he’d have run through MW. The dude got a very quick path to the MW belt because of his past with Izzy, and then got an even faster path to the LW title. That’s just the truth of it.

We don’t know that he’d have run through MW. The dude got a very quick path to the MW belt because of his past with Izzy, and then got an even faster path to the LW title. That’s just the truth of it.

Yes we sure as hell know. Are youy denying that pretty much all the top guys @ MW were also strikers and worse than Adesanya and probably Strickland(not to mention Jan, Jiri, Hill) who Poatan wiped out?

I'm not trying to change your mind about him deserving the TS or not, but lets not pretend Costa, Cannonier, Meathead etc would have had anything for him. They're much smaller sub par strikers who would have had striking matches with Pereira.

If this was a decade ago then forget it. Jacare, Romero, Kennedy, Mousasi, possibly Rockhold and pre-Usada Weidman. That would have been an impossible gauntlet for Pereira. But he came in at the right time.

Yes we sure as hell know. Are youy denying that pretty much all the top guys @ MW were also strikers and worse than Adesanya and probably Strickland(not to mention Jan, Jiri, Hill) who Poatan wiped out?

I'm not trying to change your mind about him deserving the TS or not, but lets not pretend Costa, Cannonier, Meathead etc would have had anything for him. They're much smaller sub par strikers who would have had striking matches with Pereira.

If this was a decade ago then forget it. Jacare, Romero, Kennedy, Mousasi, possibly Rockhold and pre-Usada Weidman. That would have been an impossible gauntlet for Pereira. But he came in at the right time.
MMA history is full of fighters winning fights that we didn’t think they would. If Poatan had to legitimately work his way up the rankings, there’s no guarantee he’d have earned a middleweight title shot.

not enough blood in his fights. too many leg kicks and then he drops people with one punch :cool:

must be nice fighting him, one punch you are out. imagine being hit by 7384267382647823 elbows from a powerless rassler for 25 minutes. a thousand cuts etc. you eat one punch, you sleep, $$ made, next fight. I can understand Hill video laughing jumping etc.

it just happens that the top guys in his division are mostly strikers, i mean: he is fighting the supposed elite of mma, the best of the best...
he was thrown to the lions and he is coming out victorious.

But hee didn't even fight the Marvin Vettori's, Derek Brunson when he was on his way up. Guys that would try to take him down and not kick box with him.

He got fast tracked to a title shot and is clearly being protected from wrestlers.

If MVP was spoon fed nothing but strikers and gets a shot at Leon I guarantee you'd hear a lot of complaining

He's old school awesome. Fights frequently. No fake hate between opponents except Izzy which was very real and he was quiet about.

Exciting fighter, trains his ass off, doesn't miss weight, destroys people.

What is there to hate? Or is just blind hatred from miserable people.
He beat izzy 3 times

That's why some hate him

He has pissed all over Izzy's MMA career too

But hee didn't even fight the Marvin Vettori's, Derek Brunson when he was on his way up. Guys that would try to take him down and not kick box with him.

He got fast tracked to a title shot and is clearly being protected from wrestlers.

If MVP was spoon fed nothing but strikers and gets a shot at Leon I guarantee you'd hear a lot of complaining
Marvin mainly tried to kick box with Izzy and even when he did get him down, Izzy managed to get up. Alex is bigger than Izzy and has gotten back up after getting taken down by bigger guys than Marvin. I don't think Marvin would have anything for Alex tbh. Then as for Brunson, his gas tank is terrible and in his later fights he tried to strike more than he tried to wrestle. So he most likely would get KO'ed by Alex.

Back