What is your scoring criteria

Just thought about how some people score fights when watching. I started watching a lot of muay thai and kickboxing as well, and how they score it. So i thought of how I would score mma fights and my criteria.

these are in order of most highly scored to lowest

Standup Striking:
Damaging strike - knocked down or wobbled
Clean strikes landed - punches, kicks, knees elbows
Combinations landed/partially blocked
Powerful strikes blocked (blocked head-kicks are damaging)
Pitter patter - rabbit punches/knees when against the fence
Circling and refusing to engage with the sporadic leg kick or feint

Grappling:
Damaging GnP
Near sub - when a guy is holding on for dear life.
Big takedowns/Slams
Dominant controlling position - back taken/mounted
Pitter patter - doing enough to not get boo’d
Lay n Pray - obvious

10-10 round - no clear winner, neither fighter showing any damage
10-9 close round but 1 fighter outscored the other
10-8 dominant round, a knockdown, winning majority of the round.
10-7 near finish, couldve been stopped with no complaints

also: open scoring! Let everyone know the judges scoring between rounds so nobody can say they thought they won. The only round not shown openly would be the 5th round in title fights (for the drama factor).
What about 1 judge gives there score every round, and in 5 rounders we only get a score from the first 3 rounds.

Damage. As it should be.

I give zero fucks if you landed 20 significant strikes to 10 if you got rocked with those 10 shots and barely made contact with him on your 20. Damage ends fights, fighters who pursue damage and ending fights should be rewarded.

Every time there's a knockdown, it's a guaranteed 10-8.

Effective strikes and effective grappling are equal

some special notes I often focus on during mma fights

-when a fighter takes down and is on top of his opponent landing gnp, he is committing effective striking AND grappling together

-head strikes are more favorable than leg strikes majority of the time. Head strikes land knockouts nearly every fighting event while leg strikes finish fights significantly less often

-a fighter’s spirit being weakened is listed under effective striking/grappling and can be a big factor in close rounds when determining who gets the round

Lol we would have bad decisions even with diehards scoring fights. Everybody has their hierarchy based on different criteria

Just thought about how some people score fights when watching. I started watching a lot of muay thai and kickboxing as well, and how they score it. So i thought of how I would score mma fights and my criteria.

these are in order of most highly scored to lowest

Standup Striking:
Damaging strike - knocked down or wobbled
Clean strikes landed - punches, kicks, knees elbows
Combinations landed/partially blocked
Powerful strikes blocked (blocked head-kicks are damaging)
Pitter patter - rabbit punches/knees when against the fence
Circling and refusing to engage with the sporadic leg kick or feint

Grappling:
Damaging GnP
Near sub - when a guy is holding on for dear life.
Big takedowns/Slams
Dominant controlling position - back taken/mounted
Pitter patter - doing enough to not get boo’d
Lay n Pray - obvious

10-10 round - no clear winner, neither fighter showing any damage
10-9 close round but 1 fighter outscored the other
10-8 dominant round, a knockdown, winning majority of the round.
10-7 near finish, couldve been stopped with no complaints

also: open scoring! Let everyone know the judges scoring between rounds so nobody can say they thought they won. The only round not shown openly would be the 5th round in title fights (for the drama factor).

As per the available scoring criteria.
https://www.reddit.com/media?url=https://i.redd.it/9tj5eqpvw5g41.jpg

The scoring criteria is right there. They just don't score by it half the time.

I wait until a day or two after the fight when the UFC releases 'significant strike' metrics to prove guys like omalley/paddy AcKtUaLlY won despite having eyes.

Depends if it’s MMA or WMMA
Life or Death
MoBooty or FlatBooty

1,2,3 Reyes all day everyday.
Even Jones thought he lost, you could hear it in his voice. The octagon interview was getting booed and ….really a bad decision. It those type of fights that are the issues. If you are not landing or hurting you opponent, octagon ‘control’ is worthless.

All I know is there should be way more 10-10 rounds rather than pretending someone "won" because they lightly kicked a few more times or whatever.
2nd, there should be a 6th sudden death round for fights on main cards that are a draw or majority draw.

Usually just try to follow like the rules have it. Effective striking/grappling, aggressiveness, etc.

But it obviously can change depending if I like the fighter or not. (Colby would never win any round if I'm jugding, lol)

Back