What Kind of Trading Cards Did You Collect as a Kid?

The current street value of a Magic The Gathering: Lord Of The Rings box is triple digits.

MTG_LordoftheRIngsFeatured.jpg

My local store is selling them for $50 per pack. This is the set that has the "One Ring" card. There will be only ONE of those cards, EVER. The current bounty for the card is 2 Million USD.

^ That's crazy. Aside from scarcity, is there any other appeal? Sounds like a lottery.

Was digging thru old worthless '02 and '03 Topps cards and found Ronald Acuna prospect card. I guess that's Jr.'s dad Sr. His stats were way shittier than the son's.

Bought my first Panini Stars & Stripes blaster box. It says 2 auto or relic cards per box, on average. Got Inge auto and a Mexican jersey patch card, two diff Dylan Crews cards, Skenes. No other draft prospect hitters I've seen on the TV. It said 4 cards per pack, but a few had maybe 5 cards. Seems like 2 or more cards in each pack are chrome.

Was browsing eBay and apparently Topps made these UFC cards using same basic designs from old Topps Baseball like '84. Also saw some football cards using the same design used for baseball.

From 1980 to 1991 baseball cards. Had tons of em. Wish i knew how to keep em gem mint as I had a few that would of qualified. Had perfect Ripken, Henderson,Mattingly, Clemens etc rookies. Had every set from 80 to 87 in all 3 or 4 brands that made cards that year. Had a perfect Clemens 84 fleer update rookie that likely would of been gem mint 10. Had I kept it. My 3 Rickey Henderson rookies would of been at least 9. I didn't take care of like I needed ro mostly cause I didt know..

I watch some youtube unboxing vids and even some of them don't take care of the cards and quickly stick the cards into a sleeve where it's very easy for a corner to get snagged on one end of the sleeve and damage it. I saw some cut one corner of the sleeve to prevent such damage.

I recently learned those hard acrylic screw down holders are bad because the thing is too tight. The newer "one-touch" holders have recessed indentations so the card isn't squished. Never tried yet.

MARVEL MASTERPIECE BABY

got them walking home from school at the little deli in town. glorious time.

Was digging thru old worthless '02 and '03 Topps cards and found Ronald Acuna prospect card. I guess that's Jr.'s dad Sr. His stats were way shittier than the son's.

Bought my first Panini Stars & Stripes blaster box. It says 2 auto or relic cards per box, on average. Got Inge auto and a Mexican jersey patch card, two diff Dylan Crews cards, Skenes. No other draft prospect hitters I've seen on the TV. It said 4 cards per pack, but a few had maybe 5 cards. Seems like 2 or more cards in each pack are chrome.

Had no idea that his dad had a lengthy career in the minors.

Not a bad batting average but almost no power.

Bought a value pack of '22 and '23 Topps Heritage and pretty much got crap for $14. Scratched that itch and feeling foolish. I keep seeing Reddit posts of guys pulling awesome autos from the last pack on the pegs. I think maybe those were Topps employees posting bullshit.

Had no idea that his dad had a lengthy career in the minors.

Not a bad batting average but almost no power.
Yanks have an infield prospect recently back in majors, Oswald Peraza, and when searching on eBay, I think I have '89 Donruss and Score cards of maybe his dad, a pitcher, with same name.

Super7 GI Joe trading cards Series 1:

box 24 wax packs $144
pack $7.50 (6 cards?)

That's too expensive for me, especially after shipping, so I'll just buy a few packs if I see them in stores. That's more expensive than Fanatics era Topps baseball hobby box!

Football Cards. I remember having more 49' ers in the NFC and Patriots in the AFC than any other team. I'm in Mid America, and both those teams sucked in the 70's, so I just hated them. Both Franchises have had considerable success since then.

The current street value of a Magic The Gathering: Lord Of The Rings box is triple digits.

MTG_LordoftheRIngsFeatured.jpg

My local store is selling them for $50 per pack. This is the set that has the "One Ring" card. There will be only ONE of those cards, EVER. The current bounty for the card is 2 Million USD.
kpRYUn1.gif

Dug out my toploader and Card Protecto cards untouched for maybe 26 yrs. Almost all the toploaders and Card Protectos turned yellow. Turns out tons of rookies I deemed worthy of putting into sleeves were of garbage players who likely washed out fast.

From my first era of cards, I still had rookies of Roger Clemens, Joe Carter.

From my second era of cards, I had single purchases of rookies of Wade Boggs, Andy Van Slyke, Ruben Sierra, Will Clark. Didn't find my '87 Topps Canseco, Bo Jackson, rookies of Ichiro, Pujols, etc.

Dug out my toploader and Card Protecto cards untouched for maybe 26 yrs. Almost all the toploaders and Card Protectos turned yellow. Turns out tons of rookies I deemed worthy of putting into sleeves were of garbage players who likely washed out fast.

From my first era of cards, I still had rookies of Roger Clemens, Joe Carter.

From my second era of cards, I had single purchases of rookies of Wade Boggs, Andy Van Slyke, Ruben Sierra, Will Clark. Didn't find my '87 Topps Canseco, Bo Jackson, rookies of Ichiro, Pujols, etc.

No Dwight Evans, Barry Larkin, Wally Joyner, or Randy Velarde??

Baseball... and my Mom tossed them when I was away to college. AAAARRRGGGHHH!

I decided to jump to Basket ball in the early 90's, but they are not worth much.

No Dwight Evans, Barry Larkin, Wally Joyner, or Randy Velarde??
Had one '87 Fleer Barry Larkin RC. I don't think I ever had Wally Joyner RC. I was late for '87 so only bought very few packs and most were singles. I don't think Velarde was ever a hot enough prospect to pursue.

I had multiples of Larry Johnson RC's, Alonzo Mourning, Latrell Sprewell, two Stadium Club Brett Favre, maybe a Jim Everett RC, Kordell Stewart RC from one pack, Drew Bledsoe Upper Deck SP RC, Ron Gant RC, Johnny Damon Upper Deck SP RC, Kevin Stevens, Joe Sakic, Paul Kariya.

I did find my 2001 Topps baseball reprints of '86 Bo Jackson, Dave Justice, David Cone rookies.

I thought I wanted to buy some recently released '23 Topps Chrome baseball, but too damned expensive. Sure ain't buying a hobby box or jumbo box. Got a rainbow refractor Kodai Senga RC.

Bought a second '22 Topps Archive blaster box and got another Wander Franco '87 RC and a Bobby Witt Jr. RC. Some doubles from the first box, and mostly crap.

^ USA baseball cards used to have chewing gum stick directly touching the trading cards. They later brought back the gum briefly, but had it wrapped in plastic so it doesn't contact the cards. Cards here pretty much never have a spot on the card for an autograph, except for the special rare insert cards made for autographs and randomly inserted in packs.

I moved around a ton of stuff and dug thru a plastic crate full of cards. Found my Milton Bradley Transformers and GI Joe trading cards, the ones with the boxart on the front and file cards write up on the back. Turns out I probably only bought one pack of each, and somehow the condition was not so good. Only have like 12 cards each. I got Megatron, Soundwave, the two humanoid cassettes and Ravage, Gung Ho, Torpedo, Zartan, and a Dreadnok, Dusty, a couple of vehicle cards.

Also found the bulk of my Marvel trading cards. Still a bunch I'm looking for I didn't find yet. Found my '85 Topps Team USA cards, '88 and '91 Topps Traded Team USA cards. Too bad most of those guys didn't have decent MLB careers.

Still got the entire Marvel Masterpiece set in a photo album somewhere in the shed. That, and the entire Skybox '93 set (minus some of the special cards, obviously).

IMG_20211210_231058765.jpg

Also got a ton of random baseball cards. A full album of rookie cards for the late 80/90s basketball era (shaq and the like), and some other quality NBA cards.

For some reason I never collected football cards, although I loved and played the sport.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pavy
Back