What lifting exercices for boxing and mma ?

• Thread starter Deleted member 584792
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 584792

heard that sometimes lifting or working some muscles may slow me down in boxing for example if i work my biceps i would be slower or something

I train alot but dont lift only bodyweight exercises once very two week to prevent injuries (not counting my training we always do x3 reps of push ups abs etc at the end but its not enough to prevent injuries or build muscle probably

is it enough to do only bench press, shoulders and leg press to start? i dont want to look big or something just get some muscle to improve my performance and prevent injuries idk for example if i should do 8 10 12+ reps, lift heavy or light (first thread btw hello everyone)

Working out with safe form and enough recovery could help prevent injuries. Stronger walls less likely to fall.

Depends how much time you have set for the workout portion of your training. You don't lift just to get huge, core strength is excellent for all sports. Strong biceps make a meaner hook and upper cut. But squats and rows will help your punching power as much bench will.

Working out with safe form and enough recovery could help prevent injuries. Stronger walls less likely to fall.

Depends how much time you have set for the workout portion of your training. You don't lift just to get huge, core strength is excellent for all sports. Strong biceps make a meaner hook and upper cut. But squats and rows will help your punching power as much bench will.

1-3 times a week for lifting and at least 3 times a week of training maybe lift and train the same day im looking for simplicity squats, rows, bench i can do it, isolation and specific muscle exercice like the things they do for physical therapy is not my thing my level is not that advanced

Check out this channel man, it's a goldmine :

https://youtube.com/c/PowerTraining

Awesome didn't know about it thanks !

You also got Phil Daru's channel that's pretty informative on the subject. He's the S&C coach at American Top Team :

https://youtube.com/c/PhilDaruStrong

Watch a lot of those two channels and you'll get a grip of what a S&C program for mma should be

iv been following him for 2 years his exercises look really effective he trained champs, iv seen his videos to increase punching power, mma strenght i plan to do some of them he have lot of exercises for everything and very informative content too he is even talking about nutrition

I don't want to sound like a broken record but as an athlete you should do these and check out kneesovertoes guy. Big big for agility, speed, jumps, and power in lower body. Good for your footwork and kicks I'm sure.

You might not dig it but this is big man. These exercises are great. The waist and back work is really good, arm work is good, hip work is good, all of it is good.

If you want to make it this kind of conditioning is necessary. Don't skimp or you'll fail. There's no getting around this.
Get a piece of rubber you can chew on. Dog toy even. Sterilize and start chewing for 1 minute each day. Every month into your training add a minute. After a year you should be chewing and pulling on it for 13 minutes.

Do the kneesovertoes guy stuff as your exclusive lower body work for 2 - 4 months, put in a couple hours every day. You need to put in high volume. Don't worry too much about sets and reps, just do more than you start with. You want to do about 16 minutes each exercise with minimal rest if any. Do at least 2 sets of each exercise though.
Set a baseline then put in similar or greater subjective intensity and total volume, don't drop the weight though, and do it every day. Goal is 5 sets of 25 with 50% BW in each exercise, 1 minute rest. Just keep putting in volume and time until you hit the stretch goals and can do 2 sets of 50 with 25% BW 1 minute rest, before moving onto the Ningzi. Keep doing the kneesovertoes guy stuff and progressing throughout your career and life.

After you're doing good with the kneesovertoes guy stuff go ahead and do the Ningzi exercises AS WELL, with either a short barbell with weight on the ends (more difficult) or a dumbbell where you can remove the handle and move the weights to the center of it and clamp them down. Get a camera to record yourself for form check. Use an empty bar and go for 10 minutes in each exercise. Make sure to pay attention to form and remember the feel and muscles used -- you want body control and this sets up future training where you can target what you want to train. It's a compound movement afterall. You want vigorous and big with solid or 'rooted' torso and legs on first exercise, big wide movement and long stretch with arms over head on second, and a really low and good twist with horizontal arms on the third.

After 10 minutes in each exercise each day for a week your form should be improving but keep working on it for a month. Form has to do with strength and endurance level so don't be stupid and think it's just useless kungfu shit. Improve speed and add time when your form is good. Might take 2 months to get to 20 minutes each with good form. Check video and message me if you want help.

Add 5 lbs, do each for 20 minutes still, then get your speed, form and endurance up to standard if it deteriorates. Or if it's still good, go for a week and see if it is still good; if it's not good after a week just keep at it until it's up to standard. Once it's good add another 5 lbs. Repeat this process throughout your career. Sometimes you want to drop the weight a little and focus on speed and explosiveness, and that's OK but don't take more than a month or 6 weeks to focus on such.

After you hit 10 lbs with the Ningzi go ahead and do the battle rope jump rope. You want to start at perhaps 10 minutes then get your speed up. Once you can whip the rope around, after a month probably, slowly get the time up to an hour. Getting the time up to an hour might take 3 months.

After all this you want to start doing a lot of heavy bag work and grip training so that your strikes land hard and fast, and a lot of neck training to prevent injury.

Last edited:
Wrestler bridges.

Also don't neglect unilateral work, lunges for example

Last edited:
Phil Daru is quite amazing.
IMO the big problem when people lift and punch is not focusing on doing anything for shoulder mobility. I couldn't bench at the start of Covid and I couldn't believe what it did for improving my shoulder mobility. Since then I got into Indian clubs and it is borderline crazy if you lift and punch to not do Indian clubs. You just can't get your shoulders feeling "unglued" from lifting the way Indian clubs will.
Get a steel mace too. I remember Josh Barnett talking about the mace at least 15 years ago. Just my own pigheadedness for not getting a mace sooner.

There is also a great video online that Floyd Mayweather Sr mentions how all the great boxing power punchers chopped wood and used an axe. Ernie Shavers said this is what developed his power. Axe/sledge/med ball slams even. I think there is something to be said though for actually chopping wood with an axe and having to put in that power and hit the target. Just hitting a tire with a heavier sledge is a bit different modality.

honestly, that's the great thing about mma. all sorts of body types can find success. it just depends on your build, your strengths and your favored style.

Cable wood chops from low to high. That's what my boxing trainer had me do.

I was doing all sorts of lifting two days a week when I was boxing but I never really pushed the progressive overload because I didn't want to bulk up. But a lot of explosive movements and core exercises help a lot.

Lifting weights will not make you slower if you do it correctly. Don't think of training muscle groups. It has to be movements. Generally lower volume, higher intensity either from load or speed. E.g. heavy = squat @85% 1RM. Speed = various throws and jumps.

Compound lifts only.
Focus on explosiveness and low reps.
Not high reps and control.

Also, some muscle groups should have high focus for any athlete.
Such as abs (very important) and hips/butt. Basically the core.
The back is also very important.

Shoulders, pectorals, quads, are much less important.

Compound lifts only.
Focus on explosiveness and low reps.
Not high reps and control.

Also, some muscle groups should have high focus for any athlete.
Such as abs (very important) and hips/butt. Basically the core.
The back is also very important.

Shoulders, pectorals, quads, are much less important.
aren't the hips/butt getting enough exercise from Squats/deadlifts/cleans?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back