What makes you fat, carbs or calories?

Timetravel_0

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Someone help me out here, I dont get it. Before Atkins came along it was all about calories. Burn more than you take in and you'll lose weight, which makes sense to me. But now, it's all about carbs. According to Atkins, you can eat 5,000 calories of protein a day and still lose weight. I'm sure both are correct to some degree but what is the best answer to the question, what makes you fat, carbs or calories?

Signed,
Confused

carbs and fat ARe calories

bad fat get you fat, and carb get you fat if you dont use them

carbs and fat ARe calories

bad fat get you fat, and carb get you fat if you dont use them

Protein is calories also, so why can I eat a shitload of protein and not get fat according to Atkins? That's the confusing part.

Protein is calories also, so why can I eat a shitload of protein and not get fat according to Atkins? That's the confusing part.

Your body's physiology is a little more complicated than I think you realize. It's a combination of factors, but to put it simply, your body has different 'modes' which can be triggered by your diet. If it is high in protein and low in carbohydrates, your body starts ****bolizing your stored fat. If you eat enough carbs, then your body does not ****bolize as much fat but instead stores it.

If you want a more detailed explanation, then I would read 'The Ketogenic Diet' by Lyle MacDonald for an in-depth explanation.

I've been eating a low carb ketogenic diet to get rid of some belly fat for the past week so I've been researching this subject.

Your body's physiology is a little more complicated than I think you realize. It's a combination of factors, but to put it simply, your body has different 'modes' which can be triggered by your diet. If it is high in protein and low in carbohydrates, your body starts ****bolizing your stored fat. If you eat enough carbs, then your body does not ****bolize as much fat but instead stores it.

If you want a more detailed explanation, then I would read 'The Ketogenic Diet' by Lyle MacDonald for an in-depth explanation.

I've been eating a low carb ketogenic diet to get rid of some belly fat for the past week so I've been researching this subject.

Thank you for an informative post, and satisfying answer.

well if you want a very concise answer, what makes you fat is your hormones making fat molecules and storing them in adipose tissue. a "calorie" is at it's heart a unit of energy that may or may not actually translate into a a unit of energy your body is capable of chemically turning into fat cells in your midsection.

if i remember correctly, the reason that many carbohydrates are easily turned into fat because they are easily modified into glycerol, which can then combine with free fatty acids to form fat cells. been awhile since i've really studied this stuff though.

I've read a few pieces of research that questions the ****bolic advantage that the Atkins diet supposedly gives you. Some studies that I've seen say the weight loss is mainly due to just eating fewer calories.

Your body burns more calories breaking down protein than it would carbs. Eating a high protein diet can boost your ****bolic rate.

Something like that. It's been a while since I've read up on that stuff for dieting.

Someone help me out here, I dont get it. Before Atkins came along it was all about calories. Burn more than you take in and you'll lose weight, which makes sense to me. But now, it's all about carbs. According to Atkins, you can eat 5,000 calories of protein a day and still lose weight. I'm sure both are correct to some degree but what is the best answer to the question, what makes you fat, carbs or calories?

Signed,
Confused

Its fucking calories, that Atkins shit is a just a fad diet.

If you only burn 2000 calories and take in 3000 calories of protein you will gain fat

If you burn 2000 and only take in 1500 calories from jelly dougnuts you will lose.

Of course the jelly doughnuts would not be a healty diet.

If you only burn 2000 calories and take in 3000 calories of protein you will gain fat

If you burn 2000 and only take in 1500 calories from jelly dougnuts you will lose.

This and only this is the correct answer. It all depends on how many calories you take and burn per day (or whatevery timeline you go for).

This and only this is the correct answer. It all depends on how many calories you take and burn per day (or whatevery timeline you go for).

was this in another forum first?

because there are some crap responses in here.

was this in another forum first?

because there are some crap responses in here.

It does look that way, but no, it was here. I know this cause I had a pretty early response and I almost never venture outside the training forums.

Pretty sure it depends on your body too.

For some people carbs will ****bolize quickly and not really become fat others it will.

But the basic principle is what that dude said: Calories in > Calories burned = weight gain, vice versa = weight loss.

I've read a few pieces of research that questions the ****bolic advantage that the Atkins diet supposedly gives you. Some studies that I've seen say the weight loss is mainly due to just eating fewer calories.

lol @ pieces of research.

I like your act.

stop

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pavy
Back