What should usman have done differently?

613MMAfan

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Usman was trying to slip a jab that he thought was coming and ducked right into the kick by Edwards. It's hard not to bite on feints if you want to be able to react fast enough to slip real punches that are thrown at you. Is the lesson that you should try to block or deflect punches in MMA instead of trying to slip them?

Pulling back can double up as a defense against the head kick and punches. Not exactly as the distancing is different and if you pull back subtly you are may still be in kicking range but it's a much better defense than leaning directly into the head kick. You can also adjust midway to lean back further if your reflexes are on point.

Mcgregor used pull counters against punches in orthodox vs southpaw match ups tons during his career.

Blocking would also have worked as you say.

Usman was trying to slip a jab that he thought was coming and ducked right into the kick by Edwards. It's hard not to bite on feints if you want to be able to react fast enough to slip real punches that are thrown at you. Is the lesson that you should try to block or deflect punches in MMA instead of trying to slip them?
To be fair, there was a feint was with the right hand first. Then the left, which Usman deflected while slipping. It's a lot asking anyone to read two feints with the kick coming behind them. That's why you have to pull back and put some distance between the other guy. Problem is it makes for boring fights to watch.

In that situation it was Edwards ability to read Usman and set him up. That has happened to me before with knees.

Try not to over use the same defensive move. That’s when your opponent can adjust and get a beat on you.

He would have been better off with a shell or just realizing the punches were nothing just setting up a kick

Could have parried the jab and blocked the kick. Could have blocked the jab and blocked the kick.

You can’t throw the baby out with the bath water. Just because someone gets caught slipping (literally) doesn’t mean that you should stop moving your head v. Punches all together.
He had his hand out. I think he might have been thinking of countering with a hook or something. If he had at it by his face he might have been fine. I would say that’s the only real mistake he made

He had his hand out. I think he might have been thinking of countering with a hook or something. If he had at it by his face he might have been fine. I would say that’s the only real mistake he made

He didn't make the read. Leon faked with two atacks before the third landed unexpectedly.

he read a body kick and went to defend. It can happen to the best of us, especially after 24 minutes of fighting like that

A cross
He was static, he had to move more, in and out.. at an angle

Last edited:
Being so far ahead he should have gone on the defensive in the last round.

Same set up and kick that Jones used on DC.

All you can do is spar a lot against people with a good lead leg snap kick. The jab to lead leg head kick, and then the jab-feint to lead leg high kick, is a bread and butter technique for some gyms and a low percentage trick in other gyms. It is possible to train in a gym with UFC fighters and have no one throwing that combo.

In sparring, I throw the lead jab and lead high kick a lot, and do that jab feint a lot. I think scaring people with the power hand so they walk to my left is a good cue for trying this combo. For whatever reason, people who spar me a lot, or who are just better, are hard to feint and hard to hit meaningfully with the lead high kick. So, for the question about what to do, idk, maybe he should work on his blood oxygenation so he feels mentally fresher and harder to trick with feints after half an hour of fighting or whatever.

I can't imagine he needs to change much. It wasn't like it was me that head kicked him. Leon Edwards has one of the best lead leg head kicks in the world for MMA so...shit happens.

Slip but not parry it - with his hands coving up in a close high guard.

Well a lot of people have said for a long time now that head movement in MMA and KB is dangerous. If you choose to slip, it’s a calculated risk.
This shouldn’t be anything new to anyone in MMA

Well a lot of people have said for a long time now that head movement in MMA and KB is dangerous. If you choose to slip, it’s a calculated risk.
This shouldn’t be anything new to anyone in MMA
slips are ok, but you’ve got to wipe side to side without leaning forward, imo

Some people would use the Usman fight as evidence as to why one shouldn't use head movement in MMA.

Except for every guy who got KOed this way, I can legit name 100 other guys who got knocked out precisely because they did NOT move their heads out of the way of the punch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back