What throw / sweep is this?

don't ask

Special Secretary of Shitposting
@red
Reaction score
This is from All-Rounder Meguru and the comic is famous for depicting real moves (and depicting them well). The page reads right to left:

16-o.jpg

The reason I ask is because when I first started Judo, I was always doing yoko tomo nage from too far away and the only way I could make it work was by using my free leg as a butterfly hook to drag them forward over top of me.

In this page, she uses the butterfly hook and puts the other foot in the midsection like tomo nage, but finishes the throw / sweep with the butterfly hook and a DLR hook. I still struggle to get under the person when I do yoko tomo nage, but I could make this move work easily. I'd love to see some video on it.

It's a sumi gaeshi variation.

It is confusing going from the second panel to the third (for those who don't know manga is read from top right to bottom left) where she clearly going for a tomoe nage, then suddenly she is in this odd sumi-with-DLR-leg thing.

Sumi with the leg on the outside is a very good way of doing that throw. It also works with tomoe. In fact, I reckon a good third to one half of the sumis/tomoes I hit are done using this variation. However, I would not recommend someone use the DLR hook; instead, keep your leg straighter and lower on uke's leg (preferably your calf muscle on their ankle), then as you throw sweep your leg to your other leg. Needless to say, you will also need the right grips and hand movement.

This isn't to say I couldn't see this working, especially with a big over-the-back grip. I could also see it fucking up uke's knee.

I'm a sumi gaeishi guy, set up off an arm drag.

Easier for me being tall and such. Much success.

It's a sumi gaeshi variation.

It is confusing going from the second panel to the third (for those who don't know manga is read from top right to bottom left) where she clearly going for a tomoe nage, then suddenly she is in this odd sumi-with-DLR-leg thing.

Sumi with the leg on the outside is a very good way of doing that throw. It also works with tomoe. In fact, I reckon a good third to one half of the sumis/tomoes I hit are done using this variation. However, I would not recommend someone use the DLR hook; instead, keep your leg straighter and lower on uke's leg (preferably your calf muscle on their ankle), then as you throw sweep your leg to your other leg. Needless to say, you will also need the right grips and hand movement.

This isn't to say I couldn't see this working, especially with a big over-the-back grip. I could also see it fucking up uke's knee.
Thanks so much for solving the mystery! Do you guys have any idea how I can find this specific variation of sumi? I just went on a deep dive on youtube and never saw anything like this.

EDIT: I guess I can figure it out since it looks about as simple as could be. Using the collar and staying square like a tomo nage is causing my brain some conceptual problems.

Last edited:
I just realised she also rolls him to the wrong side. Throwing uke to her right side whilst having both grips and the blocking leg on her left renders them useless. Uke can stop the throw by stepping forward with his left leg and if that alone isn't enough he also has his left arm free to post with.

The manga may be famous for its realistic depictions of technique, but you still need to know a martial art to judge what is realistic with any accuracy and I just don't think the mangaka knows judo all that well, at least judging from this alone.

I've never read All-Rounder Meguru, but I know it is MMA-focused so perhaps it isn't surprising that a judo technique done in the gi isn't the author's immediate wheelhouse.

This is from All-Rounder Meguru and the comic is famous for depicting real moves (and depicting them well). The page reads right to left:

16-o.jpg

The reason I ask is because when I first started Judo, I was always doing yoko tomo nage from too far away and the only way I could make it work was by using my free leg as a butterfly hook to drag them forward over top of me.

In this page, she uses the butterfly hook and puts the other foot in the midsection like tomo nage, but finishes the throw / sweep with the butterfly hook and a DLR hook. I still struggle to get under the person when I do yoko tomo nage, but I could make this move work easily. I'd love to see some video on it.
Looks to me like some sumi gaeshi if I get the sequence right. Why are they illustrating from right to left?

Also it must be said that it's a very weird variation and I don't understand the mechanics of it.

Looks to me like some sumi gaeshi if I get the sequence right. Why are they illustrating from right to left?

Lots of languages read right to left instead of left to right like we're used to. Sometimes I'll spend an hour reading manga and then be discombobulated when I have to go left to right again.

Also it must be said that it's a very weird variation and I don't understand the mechanics of it.

Yeah, when I first posted this thread I thought people were going to say it was a helicopter sweep variation. Looking at it as a sumi throw made some gears grind in my head.

Lots of languages read right to left instead of left to right like we're used to. Sometimes I'll spend an hour reading manga and then be discombobulated when I have to go left to right again.

Yeah, when I first posted this thread I thought people were going to say it was a helicopter sweep variation. Looking at it as a sumi throw made some gears grind in my head.
Well since that manga is in English I found it weird but I guess it makes more sense than to rearrange all illustrations for th3 foreign version.

Well since that manga is in English I found it weird but I guess it makes more sense than to rearrange all illustrations for th3 foreign version.
Yeah, that gets really messy because a lot of comic pages are designed to lead the eye and rearranging pages isn't enough, you'd have to flip the individual panels, too. But then people's clothing and costumes get reversed, as well as any words appearing in the background. It's a mess.

Years back when manga first started being published in the West they used to do just that, figuring that having to read them 'back-to-front' would put off new readers. But that is slow and expensive so they switched to putting instructions on and in the books on how to read them.

I just realised she also rolls him to the wrong side. Throwing uke to her right side whilst having both grips and the blocking leg on her left renders them useless. Uke can stop the throw by stepping forward with his left leg and if that alone isn't enough he also has his left arm free to post with.

The manga may be famous for its realistic depictions of technique, but you still need to know a martial art to judge what is realistic with any accuracy and I just don't think the mangaka knows judo all that well, at least judging from this alone.

I've never read All-Rounder Meguru, but I know it is MMA-focused so perhaps it isn't surprising that a judo technique done in the gi isn't the author's immediate wheelhouse.

Yeah she should really be rolling over her left shoulder with that setup.

Back