What was the most depressing fight you ever watched?

If you get depressed after fights you're watching the wrong sport. But Shogun vs Jones was the closest. Shogun just collapsed and started tapping even though the ref already stopped it a couple seconds earlier. Hard to watch. And I can tell you a number of times I made a bet and got upset. Not depressed though. I was upset at how Vitor looked against Jacare. But ecstatic with Holm vs Rousey.

Chuck/Jardine, Chuck/Rampage 2, Chuck/Rashad, Chuck/Shogun.

Chuck is my favourite MMA fighter ever, and it is because of that that I picked a shitty time to start to get into MMA (Jan 2007)

A couple spring to mind.

Franklin vs Le made me sad - I didn't realise Franklin was so far past it, he should never have lost to an ancient Cung Le. To get pasted like that...it hurt to see.

Condit vs Woodley - seeing Condit's knee blow out early in the second upset me. I thought Condit was going to start coming on and Woodley would fade and we would see a desperate NBK going for broke in the third.

Condit vs Lawler - great fight. Terrible result. Still bothers me, I wont lie.

Anderson breaking his leg.

I was legit depressed for a couple of days.
That's some serious depression over these insignificant moments, though. I love this sport, have for many years, but I don't get tied to the fighters. I can't see the outcome of a prize fight disrupting my mental state.

Then you obviously dont know what its like to be invested in a sport. Im a pragmatic person professionally, but when my favorite fighter gets knocked out or my favorite team loses...man, it hurts.

Cro Cop vs JDS... a one sided beatdown of my alltime favorite fighter and a legend.

Fedor vs BigFoot. Utterly disgusting watching Fedor flail under that monster's weight and not be able to get up.

I definitely had a date with a full bottle of liquor to myself after Diaz lost to Anderson. It seemed like no one else believed Nick could win that fight before it and they were all saying he was going to get Lebened in a single round. I know a lot of people prefer to forget that they thought of it like that but they know who they are and it was most everyone.

Anyways I just truly believed Nick could do it and I wish he had pulled it off. I was super depressed and the whole viewing experience of the fight was stressful and soul-crushing. I was the only Diaz fan at the viewing party and everyone else was talking shit as he taunted Anderson and I'm just sitting there shaking my head thinking about how Anderson taunted so many people and how he deserved it more than anyone.

And when they gave him all five rounds over Diaz on one scorecard I wanted to cry. I was just so angry and sad.

I sat out in the rain in a hoodie past midnight chainsmoking after Diego got destroyed by BJ and Nick got decisioned by Condit as well.

Artem fights..all of them.

Then you obviously dont know what its like to be invested in a sport. Im a pragmatic person professionally, but when my favorite fighter gets knocked out or my favorite team loses...man, it hurts.
I appreciate what you're saying, but I outgrew those feelings. I used to be a HUGE Oregon Ducks football fan. My entire weekend would be ruined from a close loss or an injury. Then I realized my emotions hung on a game being played by children - that is unacceptable for me. I've since become a fan of sport and couldn't care any less who wins and loses.

However, I am still susceptible to hating teams/fighters a bit too much.

Every loss of Cro Cop on UFC. I would stay all night just to watch my hero. And then he would get destroyed to many times.

Conor/Diaz. The story behind my reaction to this fight is hard to put into a couple paragraphs on a Sherdog forum post, as it's very long and complex. But I will say this, I was pretty bummed out for at least a day or two.

All of Gomi's recent losses. The last one against Lauzon was hard to watch.

When Anderson broke his leg I was really shocked/gutted for a day or so

Recently it's Mitrione vs Browne. I can handle my favourite fighters being bested. i can handle them being beaten out of nowhere by an unexpected shot.

Seeing incompetent refereeing and dirty tactics go unpunished and a guy pay severely for it with a horrific beating makes me lose a little faith in the sport.

All three of Pettis's recent losses. He clearly wasn't the same Pettis.

Tate/Zingano. Tate was winning that fight only to get screwed by a bullshit stoppage.

Ronda/Tate II. The whole season of TUF 18 made me dislike Ronda and I badly wanted to see her lose.

Hendricks/Wonderboy. I may very well be one of the few Hendricks fans on Sherdog right now and it was depressing to think about how many people were celebrating him getting finished.

JDS/Cain II. Not the fight itself, just when people were booing JDS afterward. He didn't deserve to get booed like that.

AND THE WINNER IS...

Cain/Werdum. I understand people were bitter towards Cain for being injured all the time, but I still felt very bad for him after he finally got the headlining fight in Mexico he's always wanted only to lose the way he did. What's worse is that everyone started being overly harsh on him, talking about "Sea Level Cain" immediately after the fight, but real shit: he's NEVER gassed out like that before. Hopefully his upcoming fight against Browne erases those bitter memories.

Hunt/Manhoef. God, that one sucked. I have never felt more broken than after seeing him get laid out like that. More bottom of the barrel than the McCorkle loss imo.

Back