What were commentators watching during Volkov/Tai? Volkov beat the piss out of him

His leg was definitely feeling it, he switched stance very briefly. But yeah, wasn't close to being finished tho. Tai should probably be at 185, Volkov is what a real HW looks like. 6'7 with an 80" reach. Tai being 6' even with a 74" reach as a striker... He's like the size of Whittaker and Strickland but with 60lbs of fat.

Yeah commentary is quite biased most of the time.

Volkov looked humongous. He looks like the final boss in a video game.

Tai looks like he could make 205 based on his frame size. The guy is literally carrying an extra 40-50 pounds in his gut.

In all the embedded videos it was Volkov training and Tai just walking around. I always thought Volkov would win but seeing that just made it seem like he was much more engaged and ready for he fight than Tai. Granted those are just a few glimpses into their preparation, but Volkov looked hungry

It still amazes me that some people actually still haven't caught on that media members are ordered to stick to a predetermined narrative about every person or situation they cover and completely ignore anything that contradicts it, no matter how glaringly obvious it is to everyone watching.

yea def felt like they wanted tai to win, kept "highlighting" what he was doing. dude could def drop to 205 and probably do OK. 205 is for the taking.

It still amazes me that some people actually still haven't caught on that media members are ordered to stick to a predetermined narrative about every person or situation they cover and completely ignore anything that contradicts it, no matter how glaringly obvious it is to everyone watching.

Sometimes, sure. Like nuthugging Izzy vs Blachowitz. But in this fight? I just don't see it. I think this was due to DC having a friendship with Tai because they have trained a lot together and that's what caused the bias here.

Big Tai fan and I wanted to believe the leg kicks were going to decide the fight, but I didn't see it at all.

He landed some good ones but he was clearly over paying for them.

His leg was definitely feeling it, he switched stance very briefly. But yeah, wasn't close to being finished tho. Tai should probably be at 185, Volkov is what a real HW looks like. 6'7 with an 80" reach. Tai being 6' even with a 74" reach as a striker... He's like the size of Whittaker and Strickland but with 60lbs of fat.

Tai is huge. He is not undersized, at all.

Wiki says 6'2" 188cm. I'm 187cm and ive met him, guaranteed he is well over 6'2".

from start to finish

sure he ate some leg kicks, checked a lot of them, and also kept moving fine

Volkov's movement definitely stopped and he was being forced into more dangerous exchanges with Tai. Volkov was still winning those exchanges, but that's really all that happened.

Then Volkov got on top lol.

Volkov's movement definitely stopped and he was being forced into more dangerous exchanges with Tai. Volkov was still winning those exchanges, but that's really all that happened.

Then Volkov got on top lol.

I think he just realized he could tee off on him willy nilly and wasn't as worried about those big winging shots anymore because he had already seen them all at that point

I think he just realized he could tee off on him willy nilly and wasn't as worried about those big winging shots anymore because he had already seen them all at that point

I can't imagine Volkov would want to completely throw away his reach and give Tai the only sort of fight he had any chance of winning, but maybe.

Sometimes, sure. Like nuthugging Izzy vs Blachowitz. But in this fight? I just don't see it. I think this was due to DC having a friendship with Tai because they have trained a lot together and that's what caused the bias here.

I can respect that take <mma4> Besides, what you and I said could both be true.

I can't imagine Volkov would want to completely throw away his reach and give Tai the only sort of fight he had any chance of winning, but maybe.

You're probably the one correct since my theory is more on the ludicrous side, and Occam's razor and all that shit

Big Tai fan and I wanted to believe the leg kicks were going to decide the fight, but I didn't see it at all.

He landed some good ones but he was clearly over paying for them.

Tai is huge. He is not undersized, at all.

Wiki says 6'2" 188cm. I'm 187cm and ive met him, guaranteed he is well over 6'2".
I must have mixed his height and reach up with Justin Tafa. Still tho he's way overweight. 6'2 and 75" reach... Ngannou is 6'4 with and 83" reach. Volkov 6'7 and 80" reach. Gane 6'4 and 81" reach. Aspinall 6'5 with a 78" reach. Sergei 6'3 with and 84" reach. Jones 6'4 with and 84" reach. Stipe 6'4 and an 80" reach. Another thing all those guys have in common besides being tall with a long reach is they aren't fat.

If you are a striker you don't want to be at a big reach disadvantage, you also want to be lean.

Back