Movies What's the 3 best acting performances by Philip Seymour Hoffman?

What's your picks?

• Total voters
Is it wrong that despite all of his serious, academy award winning roles I think Mission Impossible is still one of his best? He was downright terrifying as a villain.

He’s so calm and menacing and then the “DO YOU THINK I’M PLAYING?!” Shift is chilling

i voted for this as well

Say what you will about Abrams (I’m a fan) but he delivered the ideal opening to that film. And with the awesomeness of Hoffman and the always reliable Cruise, that scene was, in my opinion, the turning point for the MI series. The series only got better (or at least stayed on that level) from that point on.
Cruise will tell you 3 saved the franchise. I'll tell you it was McQuarrie (who came in on 4), but Tom's right.

Boogie Nights of this list

My favorite performance by him was Owning Mahowny. Probably the best movie on the subject of gambling addiction

The other film starring him that will really just gut you is Owning Mahoney. That movie is everything Wahlberg's The Gambler wished it could be. Extraordinary acting from Hoffman.

Coke a cola and Ribs all night long

Magnolia is one of the best films ever! He was great in it but probably wasn't his best performance...

I guess I need to watch more movies, I've only seen Boogie Nights and Almost Famous

Im pleasantly surprised to see Charlie Wilsons War getting so many votes
Thats a great movie but I didnt think mamy people knew about it

I'm just here to say that sydenoche new york is the ultimate in crappy art trash film and I hate everything about it.

It was crazy how good he was in that role.

Say what you will about Abrams (I’m a fan) but he delivered the ideal opening to that film. And with the awesomeness of Hoffman and the always reliable Cruise, that scene was, in my opinion, the turning point for the MI series. The series only got better (or at least stayed on that level) from that point on.

i voted for this as well

Kevin Smith said it best. PSH as the Penguin doing that performance in a Nolan Batman movie would have been the tits.
“You got a wife? A girlfriend, Bruce?”

Cruise will tell you 3 saved the franchise. I'll tell you it was McQuarrie (who came in on 4), but Tom's right.

Really though I think the franchise shifted with the 4th film, before that it seemed like they were adapting to go with a different style for each film were as from that point onwards there was much more of a standardised style.

Capote, The Master, Magnolia, Boogie Nights and Before the Devil Knows You're Dead.

In that order.

In my opinion, lol.

Happiness
Boogie nights
Capote

I haven't even come close to watching all of his movies. But of the ones I have seen I'd probably say M:I III, Magnolia, Moneyball.

M:I III is seriously underrated. His badguy is amazing. I genuinely felt threatened by him. That doesn't happen often.

His favorite role has to be the one humping fully nude Marisa Tomei.

One of the early films I saw him in was called Flawless, with Robert DeNiro. The fim was shit and Hoffman played a crossdresser or something, but he played the role very well, much as he did a good job in Boogie nights.

Back