Movies What's the most intelligent, thought provoking movie?

Persona

Persona_Poster.jpg

Not my favorite Ingmar Bergman film, but it's probably his most cerebral.

Also, most David Lynch films are worth mentioning, but I'll go ahead and single out Mulholland Drive

Mulholland.png

He knew Sammy Jankis before he ever had an accident.

We don't know to what degree Teddy is telling the truth. We don't know what actually happened to his wife. Ultimately the film leaves a lot of unanswered questions that are fun to think through and analyze. But no, not a plot hole.
Absolutely is a plot hole, among others in the movie. They even showed the wife surviving the invasion and the prick from the insulin needle.

Here's another one- his condition is wildly inconsistent. He can remember certain things seemingly for hours, minutes, or seconds, depending on what the plot needs. He remembered everything Teddy told him, even after leaving the scene and driving away, but he couldn't remember the bartender spitting in a drink right in front of him.

It's still an entertaining movie and the stuff I mentioned doesn't really take away from the central them that someone like that can easily be manipulated.

Last edited:
Conan - the meaning of life

lLohfqb.gif

Office Space - What we want in life
Yes, those were two cool flicks.
Throw in Goodwill Hunting - Damon & Robin were both fantastic characters.

Great call on One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, Jack sure AF was great there. Mental health care in USA was super tough then, and still is now.

Last edited:
My brother used to have it on a loop playing in his room when we were in high school

Back when Alex Jones was cool and interesting and not just a puffier, fatter Republican talking head

miss them days

I might be older than you, as I seen it when it came out and I was in my early 20s lol.
I can see that being a "loop" kind of movie for sure.

Back