What's the worst emotion to endure?

Probably heartbreak. As gay as that sounds that was the worst feeling for me. I would rather have my ass kicked. I've never really struggled depression or anxiety though. I get anxiety after I binge drink, but it always passes once my hang over goes away.

I'm talking about rejection as a student of psychology. Rejection is beyond simply being shot down by a Boise 4.

Truly rejection is one of the biggest traumatic experiences for a human.

It's the object of my research, so I may be biased.
So elaborate what is truly rejection?

So elaborate what is truly rejection?

Rejection and the fear of it developed in social animals as a behavior regulating mechanism of sorts. If you're truly interested, read up. If you're just talking... then:
tenor.gif

https://www.psychologistanywhereanytime.com/relationships_psychologist/psychologist_rejection.htm
Interpersonal rejection ranks among the most potent and distressing events that people experience.
The desire for acceptance, the opposite of rejection, is a driving force that keeps many people from being an authentic human being. They are so driven by the need for acceptance of others that they lose their own identity in the process.

https://www.goodtherapy.org/learn-about-therapy/issues/rejection
The feeling of rejection is believed to have developed as an evolutionary tool to alert early humans who were at risk of being ostracized from the tribe they belonged to. A painful rejection from others in the tribe was likely to encourage an individual to modify any problematic behavior in order to avoid further rejection, or ostracism, from the tribe. Those who were able to avoid further rejection were more likely to survive, while those who did not find rejection to be particularly painful may not have corrected the offending behavior, making them less likely to survive. In this way, humans may have evolved to experience rejection as painful.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/the-real-story-risk/201211/the-thing-we-fear-more-death
Early humans survived by their wits and their ability to collaborate. Those that worked together well, helping others in their group, probably survived and passed on traits that contributed to social behavior. Failure to be a part of the social group, or getting kicked out, probably spelled doom for early humans. Anything that threatens our status in our social group, like the threat of ostracism, feels like a very great risk to us.

Ostracism appears to occur in all social animals that have been observed in nature,” says Kip Williams, a professor of psychological sciences at Purdue who has studied ostracism. To my knowledge, in the animal kingdom, ostracism is not only a form of social death, it also results in death. The animal is unable to protect itself against predators, cannot garner enough food, etc., and usually dies within a short period of time."

Severe anxiety and severe depression are by far the worst emotions I've experienced.

Existential despair.
The felt meaninglessness that pervades your entire being.
Destroying not only the present... but staining the past and making previous joyful memories instruments to torment you further once you fall into that kind of despair.

But... this 'dark night' once it passes helps to accentuate the beauty of the 'bright morning'. God be praised.

Rejection and the fear of it developed in social animals as a behavior regulating mechanism of sorts. If you're truly interested, read up. If you're just talking... then:
tenor.gif
This is interesting asI have my own theories on rejection vs. the scholarly view. I'll take a gander at it

Guilt. Misplaced or not, it eats you up.

I know my mother would feel terrible that I felt this way but I feel so guilty that I couldn't be with her as she was passing away. More than that I feel guilty that I didn't take the fact I had the same disease that was killing her at the same time seriously enough to emotionally comfort my husband when he was worried sick that his wife might die. It was like I was just remotely looking down on everything and going through the motions.

Anyone that suffers from panic attacks will agree. I have only had one but it’s crippling. But those aren’t emotions so I’ll say extreme anxiety. Can feel like a heart attack, constant Nausea, heart palpitations, headaches, cold sweats, weight on chest, stomach issues, dizziness all at once.

I've gone through depression, anxiety, boredom, loneliness and a myriad of other bad states of emotion. For me it was when I had a panic attack. I felt like I was going to die and was frozen unable to do anything to relieve it. The others were really bad but I don't remember thinking I was going to die except maybe at the worse parts of my depression.

Butthurt

Depends what you mean by worst.

The worst to feel is Grief. Bar none. No other is close.

The worst to have in your life is Shame. No benefit, all detriment.

Back