Whats with fighters of all combat sports getting fat?

Ogata

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I have noticed that fighters from all forms of combat sports put on tons of weight immediately after their career or in between fights? I mean, their eating regimen is nowhere near as difficult as bodybuilders and yet they have no discipline when it comes to food???

Example:

Boxing:

1.jpg

Kickboxing/Javier:

javier-w-belt-wall-print-692x1024.jpg

daniel-cormier-immediate-light-heavyweight-title-contender-says-javier-mendez-375x413.jpg

With MMA Ronda is an example:

12069.jpg

Rousey-UFC-Chubby.jpg

Not running 5 miles a day and burning 5,000 calories daily?

Years and years of hard training to stay in physical shape burns you out and when you retire you just want to relax and not worry about it again. Let them be fat bro.

Can you blame them?

They live most of their lives training hard, with a strict diet and can't enjoy food like most normal people.

For every one example you have, there's many who stay fit their entire lives. You know? GSP still lives in the gym despite being retired for 4 years now? Evander Holyfield still lives in the gym the same way. A lot of those old Thai fighters are still in amazing condition and out there holding pads and beating up the young bucks in training.

I think athletes in general spend such a long part of their life being healthy and disciplined that when some retire they're fucking over it and want to indulge in all the life pleasures they had to exclude themselves from to become the great athletes they were.

Cause alot of them keep the same eating habits as when they workout 4 hours a day, then all the sudden they stop working out/burning calories and it catches up quick.

Did you expect them to maintain that level of fitness forever?

Because people who put on muscle when theyre young get fat as they get older. People who stay lean and thin fill out in their 30s and 40s... it's common sense

I can understand not putting themselves though the same strict diet once they retire. It's hard enough when you train, I can't fault them for enjoying life when they hang them up.

Those who get very fat between fights (like Hendricks) are a different matter though. Plenty of guys who always stay in shape even between fights, never miss weight and are ready to step in on short notice if needed.

I used to train mma 5 days a week and weighed 175lbs. I dropped to 1 day a week recently, kept the same diet and now weigh 200. It's scary how quick you put on weight if you stop training.

For every one example you have, there's many who stay fit their entire lives. You know? GSP still lives in the gym despite being retired for 4 years now? Evander Holyfield still lives in the gym the same way. A lot of those old Thai fighters are still in amazing condition and out there holding pads and beating up the young bucks in training.

I think athletes in general spend such a long part of their life being healthy and disciplined that when some retire they're fucking over it and want to indulge in all the life pleasures they had to exclude themselves from to become the great athletes they were.
Georges has always been more of a fitness guru than fighter

They're humans and bodybuilders which you cited as a counterexample are so vain, they're practically a different species.

Back