What's your favorite and least favorite weightlifting exercise?

thehighking

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Which weightlifting exercise do you most enjoy doing /progressing in?
Which do you dislike the most?

I'm really liking upright rows at the moment. I have a love hate relationship with squats, I hate doing them but love the after effects of a good leg workout.

Weightlifting? My favorite is the clean and jerk. My least favorite is the snatch. But it's close.

^Dickhead response.

Upright rows are actually one of my favorites too. They're just awesome for hitting almost everything in the upper part of your torso. I like deadlifts better though.

I don't really have a least favorite because of the terrible habit of not doing lifts I don't like, regardless of whether or not I should be doing them.

I'll always love the power snatch even though I suck at it now. Fuck full cleans. Fuck em.

Hate: bench.

Love: deads, squats, sledge slams.

I generally like most exercises but I actually look forward to pulling movements like hang cleans, pull ups, and meadows rows.

If I had to pick one I don't care for, it's the bench press. After a shoulder injury I sustained(unrelated to lifting) a few years ago they just don't feel safe anymore.......I had a pretty weak bench prior to my injury too.

Favourite: deadlift and bench

Least favourite: none, really?

Least favorite: abs.

Always forget to do 'em and then tell myself squats/deadlifts "work the core" as an excuse. Kinda dislike any sort of dumbell fly movement as well.

Favourite: squat

Least favourite: squat.

I depends on how often I stall and switch movements up. There was a time i i had squatting, up until quarintine I loved them

But typically it's
Love: OHP, front squats
Hate: BB Rows

Deadlift, snatch are the favs

Squats and benching suck.

Favorite: Strict Press
Least Favorite: Bench Press

My leverages aren't great for either of these movements, but the strict press feels like a more natural and athletic exercise. I've only recently started mixing in some incline bench press, and it "feels" better than the flat bench for whatever reason.

In the lower body department, I have good deadlift leverages and poor squat leverages, so my preferences there are what you'd expect.

Favorite: OHP, Deadlifts or Muscle Snatch

Least favorite: Bench

Bench has to be my least favorite(350 for 6 is my best here since shoulder rehab).

Ever since I fucked up the left shoulder, the bench has gone down on my list of favorites, even changed my technique to be more tricep dominant to compensate for the lack of confidence in my shoulder.

OHP though doesn't hurt my shoulder at all in comparison. Once I'm near my 100% max though I feel a loss of strength on my left shoulder and while I can lock out the right the left just isn't following suit.

Favorite is the deadlift. Before my lower back injury I could pull 525lbs at 195lbs bodyweight. It's been a slow road back but the deadlift seems to help with the lower back issues in comparison to bench hindering my shoulder injury.

I was planning on hitting 600lbs by the end of the year but now I'm not so sure given this time off from the gym.(Should have invested in my own equipment a while back)

So short answer....Deadlift is my favorite, bench is the least favorite because of unhealthy shoulder.

My body was not made for weightlifting. If I was capable of doing them without guaranteed injury. The actual Olympic lifts would be my favourite all day.

As it is, my favourite 'lifts" or strength exercises are any type of single arm pressing. Be it bench or overhead.
Natural stone or sandbag lifting.
Sumo deadlifting.

I am not great at any of those. One I am decent at and very enjoyable is rope climbing.

Least Favorite: Overheard press
Favorite: Laying shoulder raises or side cable raises. Simple form wise but brutal if done with good form... good R.O.I. as well. Once I incorporated them all my shoulder pain went away.

Favourite: Trap Bar Deadlift or Safety Bar Box Squat.

Least favourite: Bench.

I think OHP is my favorite. Or rows. That’s my favorite push/pull I guess. Can’t forget deads and squats though. Hard to pick a favorite.

My least favorite is any kind of flys. The only ones I ever do are bent over flys.

One of the less basic ones. I hardly ever do any of them, I just stick to deadlift, bench, squat and ohp.
I think glute ham raise might be a candidate for least favourite. When I do them I always feel like my hamstrings are on the verge of snapping, especially in the eccentric phase.

Of the exercises I actually do, it varies over time. The ones where I'm currently nursing any kind of injury or discomfort are the least favourite. At the moment, bench and ohp. In general, my least favourite is squats. Partly because it is the one where injuries are most often bugging me, partly because I can never get the technique right under heavier loads, partly because it makes me the most whoosy, and partly because of the risk of accidental discharge.

Favourite: Normally, bench. It is the least taxing.

Last edited:
Back