When was the UFC the worst, according to you?

I'd say it was getting worse a few months ago but thank god the Paul brothers have come to save fighting forever. Alhamdulillah.

In the early days, after Royce stopped fighting, things got predictably boring. Juicing wrestlers, starting with Severn, Frye, and Coleman, turned it into a grappler-fest with head-butts. It was like a single, 30 minute round with a grappler taking somebody down and being a wet blanket. It was horrid to watch. I remember Severn taking down Tank and pounding him for 30 minutes and there was no bleeding, no KO. They hit like wrestlers. It started out so fun to see, then wrestlers made it a dry-hump fest. Now, watching a wrestler get KO’d is a great pleasure.
In the early years you had the G-man.....

Throwing the early years out as they didnt even have enough rostered fighters to even put out a monthly ppv( let alone FNs...which hadnt come around yet)........ right now is the worst. 135, 145, and 155 are their money/ depth divisions.
I'm sure that's not what they had in vision not that long ago.
ESPN and new fans kind of camouflage the whole thing but it's right now.

People in this thread have no idea what they're talking about. I highly doubt people saying now have actually watched any Pre-TUF boom UFC. I'd say the worst was from UFC 17 to UFC 32 when Zuffa bought the company.

The early tournaments were/are carried by the Gracie mystique. Once Royce is gone and the weirder aspects are taken away by adding gloves and weight classes, it gets boring. Mainly because of the skill level.

People can bash this era all they want but if you're someone who studies martial arts and knows about fighting, the talent level today is miles ahead of what it use to be.

We just had a main event of Rozenstruik vs Sakai.... seriously...

As a fan for 20 odd years, I’d say right now. I still love the sport but we’ve had a wave of great fighters all retire (or badly need to) within the past 5 years or so. ESPN+ kinda sucks. Seems like we get one great card between 2-3 thin cards. Combat sports in general area being overshadowed by Paul brothers. Jones isn’t coming back. Or maybe he will.

it’s not a bad period of MMA, but it’s not quite as intriguing right now, for me anyway. It will bounce back within a year or so.

I sort of agree. At this point, there aren't any active fighters I care very much about, and the events never seem larger than life in the way that they sometimes used to.

When this guy gets involed, we are all in trouble. Just think, he convinced families that flying to Orlando, waiting on 3 hour lines to go on rides in 90 degree heat while paying outrageous prices is family entertainment. Just wait to see how he helps the UFC "grow" their business further. He was worse for Star Wars than Bill Cosby was for young actresses. I don't even want to mention his politics since that's a different can of worms...........
View attachment 859220
#MickeyBless

bitch.

Everyone on here is gonna give the answer of right now because they’re nostalgic for specific eras.

For me, the worst aspect of today's MMA is fighters going harder on Twitter than in training, holding out for more money, refusing fights, and doing WWF shit to gain popularity.

The production value is obviously better now, the amount of fighters and events is better, the overall skillset of most fighters is more advanced, and the exposure/coverage of the sport is outrageously superior.

There's always good and bad.

I sort of agree. At this point, there aren't any active fighters I care very much about, and the events never seem larger than life in the way that they sometimes used to.

Back in the day we'd only get one card every few months. It seemed way more significant and special. There wasn't 10,000 fighters on the roster spread out over 50 events a year, so it was easier to follow careers and build anticipation for each fight. There's a glimpse of that now, but nothing like it used to be. Price to pay for the sport growing and going mainstream.

All these people saying right now are fucking delusional - just next week we have two exciting rematch title fights, and a diaz return fight (probably going to get fucked up but it's still fun).
July is fucking stacked to hell - just UFC 264 itself is a ridiculous card.

I don’t know what’s the worst but I would say the best period was definitely around 2010.

In the early days, after Royce stopped fighting, things got predictably boring. Juicing wrestlers, starting with Severn, Frye, and Coleman, turned it into a grappler-fest with head-butts. It was like a single, 30 minute round with a grappler taking somebody down and being a wet blanket. It was horrid to watch. I remember Severn taking down Tank and pounding him for 30 minutes and there was no bleeding, no KO. They hit like wrestlers. It started out so fun to see, then wrestlers made it a dry-hump fest. Now, watching a wrestler get KO’d is a great pleasure.
You

You do realize jones and costa are under contract and the ufc isnt independant contract more of a temp employee contract were they can get sued for thier lives if broken maybe even prison time.

Therrfore they have 0 leverage or negotiating power and are only hurting themselves..

This is why dana can say hey they dont need to fight, they dont want to fight, there retired.. We dont need them..
(They can never fight anywhere else)

Because when they need a paycheck they will come out from hibernation and take what ever the ufc offers them for a fight.. God forbid they lose..

Now but I still watch all the fight nights. Some dull cards but I don’t know everything to be stacked just nothing with complete nobodies. My reason for now though is because how much the sport has evolved. Machida was one of my favs so I thought it was so cool how he used his Karate style against others and how it fared in contrast to other styles. The same way how I wanted to learn judo when I watched Karo Parisyan and played Undisputed 2010 with judo being a fighting style you could use for your CAF.

It just seems like now you gotta be a Jack of all trades everywhere just cause of how fast things are evolving. Everyone’s got some kind of a calf
Kick now, everyone’s tryna wrestle, a lot of people have decent hands and if we see them through a little 1-2 we call it good technical boxing. Felt like it was more exciting where someone would come in with one predominant style vs another.

Now. The current product is bland corporate garbage. About 15 years ago the UFC made it a goal to destroy the regional MMA scene in the US. It succeeded, and in the process destroyed it’s talent pipeline. Then it began homogenizing the product for mass appeal. Now most of the fighters don’t have any personality. The talent roster is bloated, with half the roster coming from some far flung Asian steppe, and the other half weighing under 155 lbs. There are no great rivalries, no great champions. Just a bunch of small, no name, unseasoned fighters.

Last edited:
I have been watching UFC since 1994, and for me the worst era was the "dark years" when they weren't televised anymore. Somewhere around UFC 20, when there were a lot of wrestlers. Since the UFC has become a household sport in the last 10 years or so though, right now is one of my least favorite era's. The fights are still good, but the star power now is very low. There are so many fighters from Russia and surrounding countries, all with names I can not pronounce, it's hard for me to remember who is who. Even when talking about them on Sherdog, nobody uses their full name, just their first name, because nobody can spell the last name. For instance, LHW championship is Jan fighting Jiri? Jan who vs. Jiri who? Even with Khabib Nurmagomedov, one of the best ever, most can't spell or even pronounce his last name. Still watching though!:)

Back