Where does Yoel Romero rank in MW History?

I rank Romero very high. He KO'ed Weidman and Rockhold. He TKO'ed Machida and Brunson. He had a close win over Jacare when both were the two best MWs on Earth. He had really close fights with Izzy and Costa. The only Middleweights I rank higher than Romero all time are Anderson, Izzy and Hendo.
In terms of competition he faced, I rank Romero high as well.
In terms of legacy, he's behind Rich Franklin, Weidman, with question mark for Bisping as well

Why were some of his fights soooo bad?

What was holding him back?

No where to be found on any greats list... .

Was never champion..

Lost to more then a few fighters ..

People just getting blinded by muscles and accents again ...

Romero's win over Jacaré was more of a "robbery" than his second loss against Bobby.

Head to head? I’d have a hard time betting on anyone other than Prime Silva beating him.

Accomplishment wise? Maybe like top 10.

He has a place in my heart for that Weidman flying knee. He's ranked very high here.

As the undefeated champion!

But in reality outside top 5. A could have been top 5

I like Yoel, but I wouldn't quite put him among the elite -- he got caught cheating in a couple fights and he never gained championship status (he missed weight for one of his attempts). He was a damn spectacle though and still is at his old age.

He's like a Poirier, beat many elite fighters in his division and challenged for the belt but never won it. He's still a championship level fighter, for him it was just timing and the guys he fought, he beat a few former champions.

I would place Romero in the 5-10 range at MW.

If you rank based on resume like I do he's in the 10-15 range.

He should be behind the following fighters.

Anderson
Izzy
Whittaker
Weidman
Henderson
Mousasi
Rockhold
Bisping
Franklin
Mousasi
Jacare(Maybe)

he's one of the best to never hold the belt. ill echo some of the other comments here and say he's solidly in the top 15 MWs to ever do it.

Yoel probably ranks somewhere in the 10-15 range. He had great ability, but his list of top wins is actually pretty thin, and he never held a belt.

Side note: I see people ranking Hendo as a top 5 all-time MW; they were either not around at the time or are rewriting history. Hendo was always better at LHW than he was at MW. He had some really bad losses at MW and won some VERY questionable decisions. People tend to conflate Hendo's overall resume (which is great) with his MW resume (which is very good but not great).
I have him in the 10-15 range as well. A lot of people seem to rank people more on perceived skill than actual results which I find really strange.

Why were some of his fights soooo bad?

What was holding him back?
That's just how he fought. Doesn't seem like he had the gas tank to push hard for 15 minutes so he'd lay back and explode when he had the opportunity.
Romero's win over Jacaré was more of a "robbery" than his second loss against Bobby.
It was a pretty close fight.
I'd rather fight Romero for the last slice of pizza then Aleks Emelianenko.
Romero would take the pizza from you to prove the point that he could but then he'd give it to you anyway while talking about Jesus Christ

Aleks would take the pizza and r*pe you.
I have him in the 10-15 range as well. A lot of people seem to rank people more on perceived skill than actual results which I find really strange.
True but results wise Yoel's record is nothing to scoff at. He beat four ranked fighters(Kennedy, Machida, Weidman, Jacare) in a row to get his title shot because of the shenanigans of Bisping's title reign. These days if a guy gets one or two ranked wins they will demand a title shot. He then went on to beat Rockhold. He missed weight but it was a short notice fight. If you count that win he got five ranked wins, three of which were former champions. He also beat Brunson who was unraked at the time but would go on to be ranked for years so arguably six good wins.

Back