Which BJJ gym to choose?

M0ller

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I have two options with choice of gym as a beginner

gym 1: Instructor just became a purple belt, rest of the guys at the gym is white belts, the gym is 2-3 years old. Its cheap and i will be able to train bjj classes 2-3 days a week.

gym 2: Instructor is a brown belt and world champion in his class, rest of the gym is blue and purple belts, its a little more expensive, and i will probably only be able to train bjj regular class once a week, and a fundamental class once a week. The instructor told be i could take up 1 or 2 no gi luta livre classes on the side though.

which gym should i choose?

Who speaks your language properly?

Well gym 2 sounds awesome, but guess what? As a complete beginner you will progress brilliantly at either gym

Also whichever gym you choose, you can always leave if you wish, it's not a marriage (which technically you can leave too, but that's a whole other story)

Go and train/learn

To start BJJ, gym one would do the job also

My gym was like that for the bunch that was there before me at my gym (that started BJJ about 2 years earlier than me), the coach was a purple belt also. So when I started (2 yeas later) we had a room full of 4 stripes white belts and blue belts, the coach was a brown belt and we had a couple of purple belts from other gyms.

So for me it was the perfect environment to learn, I had a lot of people not that far from my skill level to train with and some guys way above my level to get my ass kicked

Now seven years later the coach is a black belt, we have another black belt, about 7-8 brown belts and a huge number of purple belts and blue belts. The gym as now enough new guys that come in to keep our numbers high.

A suburb club with 50 adult regulars that started from nothing
We have 10 classes a week on the schedule, plus open mats

Small clubs are awesome too

Gym 1?

Cheap , BJJ 3 days a week

Also, should leave you some extra change to join another cheap gym for lifting and cardio the other 4 days

At this point I'd rather go with vibe than anything else. Are you wanting to be a world champ? If so, go with the more competitive place.
Otherwise, go with the one with people you like, because you will spend a LOT of time with these people on the mats.

There are an incredible amount of betrayals, passive aggressive bullshit, and toxic people in this sport. Steer clear from them.

There are an incredible amount of betrayals, passive aggressive bullshit, and toxic people in this sport. Steer clear from them.
LMAO at the overdrama there.
There are plenty idiots in most sports, 'betrayals' makes it sound like you were walking out of some dojo in a Van Damme film

LMAO at the overdrama there.
There are plenty idiots in most sports, 'betrayals' makes it sound like you were walking out of some dojo in a Van Damme film
You just don't have any friends and no one likes you, so you don't know what it feels like in the first place lmao
But seriously, I've trained at three or four gyms. I've seen my first academy get blown up by one person causing problems, and losing a few core team members over one asshole. My coach was half checked out and ready to move anyway, and the entire thing just fell apart. It's still technically an academy, but a shadow of what it was.
I've seen other gyms have similar rifts. Lots of backstabbing and passive aggressive shit that should be handled on the mats but isn't for whatever reason.

I stand by my first post. I'd rather train at a place I like with people I like than train with world champions that are shitty people.

But seriously, I've trained at three or four gyms. I've seen my first academy get blown up by one person causing problems, and losing a few core team members over one asshole. My coach was half checked out and ready to move anyway, and the entire thing just fell apart. It's still technically an academy, but a shadow of what it was.
I've seen other gyms have similar rifts. Lots of backstabbing and passive aggressive shit that should be handled on the mats but isn't for whatever reason.

I stand by my first post. I'd rather train at a place I like with people I like than train with world champions that are shitty people.
Sounds like a lack of discipline off the mat. Etiquette and respect is one thing I think sometimes missing from a lot of BJJ schools when compared to Judo, that behaviour wouldn't be tolerated or seldom even arise. I can't imagine one dumbass bringing down an academy, he would have been asked to leave long before.

Sounds like a lack of discipline off the mat. Etiquette and respect is one thing I think sometimes missing from a lot of BJJ schools when compared to Judo, that behaviour wouldn't be tolerated or seldom even arise. I can't imagine one dumbass bringing down an academy, he would have been asked to leave long before.
It was a chick 🤣

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back