Which is the best Lightsaber battle from Star Wars?

Best?

• Obi Wan vs Vader (Star Wars)

• Luke vs Vader (Empire)

• Luke vs Vader (ROTJ)

• Darth Maul vs Obi Wan and Qui-Gon Jinn (TPM)

• Dooku vs Yoda (AOTC)

• Anakin vs Obi Wan (ROTS)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Yoda vs Sidious was my favorite duel, but it sucks admitting he lost.

Mace did technically beat him until emo boy intervened.

Yoda vs. Palps is such a great scene. One of those things that is fan service but is awesome rather than hollow or contrived. McDiarmid was great in that third prequel. One of the best aspects.

LOL. Have to disagree that ROTS was a shitty movie but I'll give you the Anakin + Padme scenes literally sucked and their "romantic" lines deserved to be coming out of Vince McMahon's ass. But 80's ninja movies were fucking AWESOME. I also think they showed plenty of bromance scenes in AOTC and ROTS but yeah, could have done more.

Agree 100%. I still think the scene rocked and things like this were great:

View attachment 1026485

But yeah, the swinging from ropes and balancing on those lava skateboard things was pretty lame and detracted from the fight. All that came off like some parody fight between Peter and the chicken on Family Guy.
I'm fine disagreeing with that. I'm just old. 22 year old me went into theaters expecting prime Darth Vader to fight like 20 jedi who were over the age of 12.

And the reasoning for him turning to the dark side was fucking lame. Darth Vader was seduced and joined the dark side for power and glory in my eyes. Not to save fucking Padme.

The scene where mace Windu takes a big wind up to kill Palpatine was dumb beyond belief. He has the flaming sword of fucking death at his throat. He could have leaned forward and poked lol

And some of the editing was awful lol . The dooku fight in particular.

That movie was an atrocity to me. NOOOOOOOOOO

Maybe not the "best" but my personal favourite is Luke VS Vader RoTJ. Just that whole showdown. The way the Emperor goads Luke into giving into his darkness. Luke finally becoming more powerful than his father. And then at the end, realizing his mistake and being able to simply walk away from what he's done. I loved that movie as a kid. Haven't watched it in 30+ years probably.

Also, someone made a pretty interesting fanfic video with pretty good art and voiceacting about what if Ahsoka joined Maul.

There's 3 parts on that YouTube channel.

Maul is one of the series most interesting characters. He and his brother were actually incredibly gifted with the force, and Maul was incredibly gifted as a duelist having trained under Sidious his entire life.

What’s really interesting about him is that his loyalty to the dark side and it’s dogma changed quite a bit the older he got and the more he distanced himself from Sidious -so much so that Sidious recognized him as a legit threat and treated him as such. I believe even George Lucas has stated Maul was one of the very few who’s potential could have rivaled Luke and Sudious but his rage was a fatal flaw.

Ahsoka could definitely have learned quite a bit from him had she chosen that path.

Last edited:
Reactions: MT7
By the way guys, the last 4 episodes of The Clone Wars is the best Star Wars content Disney has produced during their ownership.

Don't have to know anything about any of the Clone Wars episodes, just know it overlaps with the events of Ep3 Revenge Of The Sith.

Season 7 is a masterpiece for sure but I’d argue that ‘Andor’ is right there too.

Andor is a phenomenal series, I can’t recommend it enough even if the person I’m recommending it to is not a fan of ‘Star Wars’. It’s sci-fi at its absolute best imo and could easily be viewed as a stand alone project even if you know nothing about the main franchise.

yeah it’s got some cringe but for most of it, it’s an awesome scene.

People mock the high ground moment incessantly but I will give it this: it was a creative way to have Kenobi deal out all that damage to Anakin in one swing rather than having to go Monty Python and the Holy Grail Black Knight style.

+100

The payoff from that fight scene was immense and packaging it up the way they did deserves a lot of credit. There's a lot of ways they could have ended it but pretty much everything else would either be too ridiculous or too macabre for a PG-13 movie.

I'm fine disagreeing with that. I'm just old. 22 year old me went into theaters expecting prime Darth Vader to fight like 20 jedi who were over the age of 12.

He did plenty of that after putting on the mask, which makes more sense. Prior to turning, he was just a pissed off prodigy who wasn't yet in direct conflict with the jedi - Obi Wan was rightfully the first grown up jedi he fought. Now I agree that offing the younglings was kind of WTF and could have been set up better - but it was an important scene because it established that he was now a full blown nutjob and had "turned."

And the reasoning for him turning to the dark side was fucking lame. Darth Vader was seduced and joined the dark side for power and glory in my eyes. Not to save fucking Padme.

The reasoning was consistent for the character. Losing his mother the way he did and then projecting that onto Padme made a lot of sense. The issue was the PT failed to establish a believable romance between Padme and Anakin and their "romantic" scenes came off like they were written by a 12 year old.

The scene where mace Windu takes a big wind up to kill Palpatine was dumb beyond belief. He has the flaming sword of fucking death at his throat. He could have leaned forward and poked lol

No argument here. No wind up was needed and Windu could have ended Palps with his saber already at his throat, much like how Anakin finished Dooku.

LOL

And some of the editing was awful lol . The dooku fight in particular.

Pretty much, I think it gets by mostly on having a bit more substance than the other prequels but its along way from a good film IMHO.

Technically the best fight is Maul in Menace but I would say Luke's fights with Vader in Empire and Jedi are much more sucessful overall, two of the great fight scenes in cinema history for me.

Darth Maul vs Qui Gon and Obi Wan

I loved the fact that the Jedi hadn't fought Sith in like a thousand years or something, so when Maul attacked Qui Gon, he was caught off guard.

But this second fight, Qui Gon was ready for him. And so was Obi Wan. Loved his line where he says "Sith lords are our specialty"

I love how fearless they were. It really demonstrated how much faith in the force they had. They're like, if it be the will of the force that I die, then so be it.

Keep in mind this is also the first movie where we see fully trained Jedi in their prime, so that context is important.

The fight itself was awesome. First time we've seen a double bladed lightsaber, first time we've seen martial arts in a light sabre duel, and Ray Park was simply amazing.

Then there's a really important symbolic moment in this fight as well. When they are caught on opposite sides of the force field for a minute. Maul paces like a caged tiger while Qui Gon sits down, closes his eyes, and meditates. This was the most perfect representation of the difference between the light and dark sides of the force.

At first I was thinking Qui Gon is dumb because Maul will get the drop on him as soon as the force field deactivates, but it was pretty cool how Qui Gon just pops up and is instantly back in fight mode.

He did plenty of that after putting on the mask, which makes more sense. Prior to turning, he was just a pissed off prodigy who wasn't yet in direct conflict with the jedi - Obi Wan was rightfully the first grown up jedi he fought. Now I agree that offing the younglings was kind of WTF and could have been set up better - but it was an important scene because it established that he was now a full blown nutjob and had "turned."
Nah. The people universally expected anakin to turn earlier and kill many adult jedi, as TOS lead us to believe, with it ending when Obi-Wan confronts him.

It was absolute shit writing that made him turn so quick from good guy questioning if the jedi way is right and good and honest and that the council kept secrets from him to killing babies unquestionably for an emperor who constantly kept secrets from and lied to him

The reasoning was consistent for the character. Losing his mother the way he did and then projecting that onto Padme made a lot of sense. The issue was the PT failed to establish a believable romance between Padme and Anakin and their "romantic" scenes came off like they were written by a 12 year old.
Nah. It wasn't consistent. It was shit writing

His descent to the dark side was one of the most crucial aspects of the series and was the worst execution imaginable.

Those movies don't exist to me when I watch the originals. Anakin became Vader for power and glory, seduced by the dark side, not extorted by the dark side thought his gal would perish if he didn't turn. There was no seduction here.

It was about as well executed as zombie Micheal Myers turning into a psycho because his mom was a stripper, his dad a disabled alcoholic and his sister a slut.

We didn't need an episode of Jerry Springer to rationalize Myers being evil. And we didn't need a rationalization for Anakin to not be seduced, but extorted to the dark side for bullshit reasons so he could become Darth baby killer and immediately trying to kill padme with a force choke after she was his reason for turning lol

The originals worked. Luke losing it when Vader senses leia is his sister and than taunting him worked.Luke getting his hand cut off was fluid and worked

It didn't work In the prequels. No more than Anakin standing there holding his arm out for 3 seconds while Dooku did a useless double spin before chopping it off worked. It took most of us out of the universe into groantown at how bad it was.

Obi-Wan vs Anakin in ROTS should be the best, but there were some real cringe-worthy moments during that duel. Some of the effects weren't up to par as well. Swinging on ropes, "I've got the higher ground", etc...
Yeah I love that duel but there are some dumb parts. Right after they begin fighting there's a sequence where their kicking each other for some stupid reason, and every kick looks awful. It's like some WWE jobber level kicks.

Anakin v Obi Wan in ROTS by a margin larger than the grand canyon. Yeah maybe the arcobatics were a little extra but everything else is perfect. The stakes, the impact, the one liners. That duel even has wild little details like Anakin trying to use the same move he used to kill Dooku and it not working because Obi Wans a defensive master.

The Darth Maul duels impact is lessned by the fact neither Maul nor Qui Gon actually died. Also the Naboo palaces generator room is probably the most random and least logical place in the entire franchise. It feels like that power plant(which must be like half the palace) exists so theres a place they can have a long drawn out fight because fighting in the hallway wasn't dramatic enough.

Yoda v Palpatine is a great duel but it feels pointless. If you take that duel out of the story absolutley nothing changes.

The original and sequel duels shouldn't even be considered tbh.

Season 7 is a masterpiece for sure

Oh I'd argue against that.

There was an arc that introduced the 'Bad Batch' what I'd say shouldn't even be considered Clone Wars episodes.

And there was some episodes with some new female characters that had haircuts commonly seen on drug-addicted college feminists. I literally can't remember anything else about those episodes. That's for forgettable they are.

But the last 4 episodes is the absolute best Star Wars content of the Disney era, and by a wide margin.

Nah. The people universally expected anakin to turn earlier and kill many adult jedi, as TOS lead us to believe, with it ending when Obi-Wan confronts him.

It was absolute shit writing that made him turn so quick from good guy questioning if the jedi way is right and good and honest and that the council kept secrets from him to killing babies unquestionably for an emperor who constantly kept secrets from and lied to him

Nah. It wasn't consistent. It was shit writing

His descent to the dark side was one of the most crucial aspects of the series and was the worst execution imaginable.

Those movies don't exist to me when I watch the originals. Anakin became Vader for power and glory, seduced by the dark side, not extorted by the dark side thought his gal would perish if he didn't turn. There was no seduction here.

It was about as well executed as zombie Micheal Myers turning into a psycho because his mom was a stripper, his dad a disabled alcoholic and his sister a slut.

We didn't need an episode of Jerry Springer to rationalize Myers being evil. And we didn't need a rationalization for Anakin to not be seduced, but extorted to the dark side for bullshit reasons so he could become Darth baby killer and immediately trying to kill padme with a force choke after she was his reason for turning lol

The originals worked. Luke losing it when Vader senses leia is his sister and than taunting him worked.Luke getting his hand cut off was fluid and worked

It didn't work In the prequels. No more than Anakin standing there holding his arm out for 3 seconds while Dooku did a useless double spin before chopping it off worked. It took most of us out of the universe into groantown at how bad it was.

Lol you do raise some fair points but IMHO you're irrationally hating on the PT dude. Of course from Obi Wan's perspective, Vader turned for power and glory (and that WAS part of it) so that's what he told Luke. He couldn't exactly tell Luke that Vader turned for some chick who ended up giving birth to him and his twin sister. I do agree the PT did a terrible job of selling the romance angle but I chalk that up to writing and Christiansen and Portman having zero on-screen chemistry. Properly written and cast, I think that angle could and should have worked very well but as it was, it was merely passable.

Anakin was like a kid brought up in a cult until he was old enough to question why that cult was making him do stupid shit. They planted seeds of that in AOTC and especially the excellent sequence where his mom dies. I wasn't a fan of TPM and AOTC in general but the way they tied everything up in ROTS was pretty excellent even with its flaws.

Empire and the Obi Wan series had the best setting.

The worst setting was ROTS way too green screen. The fight should have been the best of all (despite Luke being Vaders son they didn’t have the same level of connection as Obi and Anakin). IMO the emotions for ROTS should have been higher than ROTJ as far as the personal issues go (master and apprentice). ROTJ was more a combo of Palp using Luke’s friends and the rebellion as bait. Like Anakin’s rage was deep and personal with Obi. Luke’s issues were more external and on the surface with a variety of things.

In terms of combat the Maul fight where someone actually dies and avenges a death in one seen is amazing.

Dooku and Yoda was great also.

Obi has all the best scenes overall. Even his fight with Jango and Grievous) were dope.

The scene with Luke in Mando vs the Death Troopers when he boards Moff Gideons ship is amazing.

Palp vs Maul and his brother in TCW was awesome.

Ashoka and Vader in Rebels

Obi and Maul 2 in Rebels.

Lol you do raise some fair points but IMHO you're irrationally hating on the PT dude. Of course from Obi Wan's perspective, Vader turned for power and glory (and that WAS part of it) so that's what he told Luke. He couldn't exactly tell Luke that Vader turned for some chick who ended up giving birth to him and his twin sister. I do agree the PT did a terrible job of selling the romance angle but I chalk that up to writing and Christiansen and Portman having zero on-screen chemistry. Properly written and cast, I think that angle could and should have worked very well but as it was, it was merely passable.

Anakin was like a kid brought up in a cult until he was old enough to question why that cult was making him do stupid shit. They planted seeds of that in AOTC and especially the excellent sequence where his mom dies. I wasn't a fan of TPM and AOTC in general but the way they tied everything up in ROTS was pretty excellent even with its flaws.
I still disagree.

The novelization of ROTS was actually far superior to the movie. It did little things the movie SHOULD have done, but didn't.

A quick example off the top of my head is the Dooku fight. Rather than Anakin just beating him, Dooku is wondering how Anakin is getting stronger through the fight. When he takes out Obi-Wan and Anakin kicks him off that bridge to the floor, there is a moment when Dooku understands Anakin was half Sith already and is using his anger. He begins taunting Anakin while losing about losing his jedi composure and Anakin starts thinking too hard to control his anger and starts losing again. At that moment, Palpatine from his chair shackled begins coaching Anakin. "Don't fear your anger Anakin. Use it." Etc, that fit Palpatine like a glove and would have made that scene way more meaningful.

Once he cut off his hands and hesitated, Palpatine orders him to kill Dooku as Chancellor and reasons Dooku is the head of the enemy army. He gives anakin what he was waiting his whole life for. permission to do something like that.

It was so much better done in the book. And that's just an opening scene. The entire book was full of better than we got on screen.

In the book. Yoda mid fight with the emperor, realizes the Emperor is stronger and he can't win. Palpatine actually kicks his ass and he has to run.

Which was way better than the fight ending with Yoda slipping and losing his grip.

If you haven't read the novel, you should. Because you will spend a lot of time going "Why the fuck didn't they put this in the movie and translate it to the screen?????"

The novel was 10x better than the movie and made the turn seem much more organic. It also emphasizes far more just how much like a father Anakin thought of Palpatine, same as he thought of Obiwan like an older Brother. Padme aside, he was actually closer to Palpatine than Obiwan. Palpatine was the only one who knew about him and Padme. Palpatine was the guy who wouldnt betray his secret love life to the jedi. Anakin was actually shocked when he realized Palpatine knew and covered for him. Palpatine thought the jedi chastity rules. Were archaic and silly, so no he wouldn't betray a friend. That's how Anakin saw it. He was put in an impossible choice between his father and brother basically.

THAT they should have translated to the screen. Mace windu now had suspicion about Palpatine and was actively trying to wedge him away from Anakin while obviously not trusting Anakin and keeping secrets from Anakin. The whole council was.

it translated 100x better in the novel because the novel was done differently

And I made the mistake of reading it first before watching the movie.

Luke/Vader - ROTJ easily. And it's not even close

Darth Maul with Duel of the Faiths just hasn't been topped. There's a lot wrong with the prequels but that scene alone was the definition of epic.

The set up and follow through though was pretty poor but as a standalone duel devoid of context it was great

Vader wrecking everyone at the end of Rogue One was also an epic light saber moment

Back