Which one of you did this...

So, officially Haney lost his belts and they went vacant?? I was under the impression that in this cases the champ gets to keep his belts, but if he wins he doesnt get a title defense either, i have only seen that in Bellator with champs doing that for a title defense against a fighter that missed weight, was it the case here or Haney was still rocked? He said, im still the champion, i think he is, i might be wrong.

So, officially Haney lost his belts and they went vacant?? I was under the impression that in this cases the champ gets to keep his belts, but if he wins he doesnt get a title defense either, i have only seen that in Bellator with champs doing that for a title defense against a fighter that missed weight, was it the case here or Haney was still rocked? He said, im still the champion, i think he is, i might be wrong.
Ryan missed weight therefore the title wasn't on the line for him to win. That's how Haney is still technically champ.

Haney’s belt is now vacant because he lost. So Ryan couldn’t win it, but that doesn’t mean Haney can’t lose it with the L.
Like others have said, thats new to me, im watching Luke Thomas results livestream and he just said the same thing, titles dont go vacant in this case, it was never on the line.

Like others have said, thats new to me, im watching Luke Thomas results livestream and he just said the same thing, titles dont go vacant in this case, it was never on the line.

I came across this article for some context:

All reports ahead of the fight were that Haney could still lose the championship, with the title going vacant should Garcia win. However, WBC president Mauricio Sulaiman tweeted after the fight, "Congratulations to Ryan Garcia defying all obstacles and winning a huge fight. Congratulations to Devin Haney for showing his huge heart and class. Just as in Corrales vs Castillo 2 , with the challenger not making weight, Haney remains WBC champion."

So you guys were correct, my mistake. Cheers to a fun fight.

Imagine if Rollie still had his belt. What a paper division lol both guys losing their last 2 fights and being champions.

Haney’s belt is now vacant because he lost. So Ryan couldn’t win it, but that doesn’t mean Haney can’t lose it with the L.

If Garcia missed weight then the belt isn’t on the line as far as I’m aware?? Haney should’ve lost his belts against Loma, fuckin horrible hometown robbery. I don’t think he should lose them here because Garcia didn’t bother making weight

His title is now vacant? That's news to me.
How could the belt orgs charge sanctioning fees of the belts weren't on the line?
Seriously, they did say over all night that Garcia couldn't win the belts but Haney could lose them.

How could the belt orgs charge sanctioning fees of the belts weren't on the line?
Seriously, they did say over all night that Garcia couldn't win the belts but Haney could lose them.
They could charge Haney but they didn't Garcia since it wasn't on the line for him. It only counted for Haney. I tuned in late so I didn't hear that discussion. If the title is vacant now then it's vacant. It makes no difference to me.

I have heard it both ways. I heard the broadcast team say all night that Ryan couldn't win the belts but Haney could lose them.

But then post fight everyone said Haney retains his titles.

I'm a bit disappointed that none of us knows this by now.

We are all familiar with the scenario of a champion losing the belt on the scale and not eligible to win it while his challenger is.

But I'm blanking on the last time a challenger missed weight but won the fight.
You shouldn't lose the title for that weight because the guy didn't make weight.

Probably agreed to Haney retaining his title as part of accepting the 3 pound miss. Then never conveyed it to the broadcast team????

Seems weird to have your title vacated when you technically didn't fight an opponent at the contracted weight.

Back