Which path should Holloway choose?

Shay Brennan

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I mean, he just beat the number 2 LW in the world, that should've earned him a title fight with Makhachev.
Yet, for some reason, he is only ranked 9th at LW.

Topuria is supposed to rematch Volk next but lets be real, nobody cares about that fight. The ending will most likely be the same.
So why not have Max fight Topuria and let Volk fight the winner?

The there is also the option of defending the BMF title. If that's the path Max choses then a rematch with Oliveira makes the most sense.

Max has so many options now, it's really awesome.

So which option would be the best for Holloway?

They won't want to feed him to Islam .. thats why they ranked him 9 at LW.... Topuria is the fight to make

Reactions: HHJ
They won't want to feed him to Islam .. thats why they ranked him 9 at LW.... Topuria is the fight to make
Agreed, but if Topuria rematches Volk, then Holloway would have to wait, and I'm not sure he'd be willing to wait. So in that case, Oliveira rematch for the BMF title might make sense?

I personally think Armaan and Olivera are a genuine tier above JG. Not sure if Max can handle their ground games and at the feet, they can also scrap and are overall more well-rounded than max and JG.

That being said, I think Dariush and Gamrot would be better matchups for Max. So fighting them and then making an arguement for a lw title shot after islam fights Poirier and Armaan is an option.

Eitherway, I think Volk should get his rematch before Max though just due to how long Volk locked down that division, even Max agrees with that notion. So Max fighting Ilia could happen after that regardless who the victor is after that rematch.

All in all, the best option for max would be to genuinely do whatever he wants. I personally think his chances are best FW because LW is still full of killers that we haven't seen fight against Gaejthe yet too so their rankings are still up in the air for example: Dariush, Gamrot, Rafa (maybe),Hooker (maybe on the rebound) and you can never count out RDA.

Last edited:
I personally think Armaan and Olivera are a genuine tier above JG. Not sure if Max can handle their ground games and at the feet, they can also scrap and are overall more well-rounded than max and JG.

That being said, I think Dariush and Gamrot would be better matchups for Max. So fighting them and then making an arguement for a lw title shot after islam fights Poirier and Armaan is an option.

Eitherway, I think Volk should get his rematch before Max though just due to how long Volk locked down that division, even Max agrees with that notion. So Max fighting Ilia could happen after that regardless who the victor is after that rematch.

All in all, the best option for max would be to genuinely do whatever he wants. I personally think his chances are best FW because LW is still full of killers that we haven't seen fight against Gaejthe yet too so their rankings are still up in the air for example: Dariush, Gamrot, Rafa (maybe),Hooker (maybe on the rebound) and you can never count out RDA.
How many times did Gaethje drop Charles? Charles only survived because he was able to lay on his back and recover, which didn't work against Islam.

The FW title fight vs Ilia is the best path. Volk should be out at least another 6 months. Max only real damage from Justin was the leg kick. Ilia said he wants to do it sooner rather than later. So what about in 4-5 months?

Max already beat Oliveira (by throat punch).

I agree that his path is limited at 155, because there are so many killers--and Max won't have his usual size advantage.

But Max absolutely should not go back to 145. I believe he put on the weight properly and it can only harm him to take that weight back off again. He is crazy enough to do it though, just to overtake Volk and Aldo as the undisputed GOAT at the weight class.

The UFC is going to push Max v Topuria. It's a business decision.If they had Max stay at lightweight then Topuria has to face Evloev and it wouldn't sell nearly as well.

I like the Topuria fight. Islam already has his next fight and a challenger waiting in the wings. Topuria doesn’t have anybody lined up. I’ve seen some float the idea of Conor if he beats Chandler but he’d probably be waiting forever if that happened.

Should go back to FW and win the belt back. He can't bet islam

If he is smart he'll wait to see the winner of Chandler vs Conor, that's a gigantic potential payday if Conor can pull off a miracle. If Chandler wins that's still a gigantic BMF fight against an old and aging Chandler, you beat up Chandler and then maybe he can finally get revenge on Dustin.

Use the BMF belt as leverage to get some PPV points, and fight Conor or Chandler in a sick rematch that will sell at ton of PPVs.

Topuria is a better option than Islam, but cutting those 10 pounds after getting his body prepared for LW is terrible and might not be worth the risk. Max has all this juice and hype after 300, he has to parlay this into a Conor fight, the only issue is the UFC doesn't want Conor to fight out his contract so soon, but they might just let him if the potential PPV return is high enough.

It's honestly better to wait and see who Topuria wants to fight, let him fight and expose holes in his game before cutting the weight and fighting him.

Last edited:
I like max vs topuria

Volk needs more rest - give him the win er

And as deadly as toouria is , max actually is the toughest fight for him at 145 …. Very interesting fight

Max is live , don’t care what anyone says

Topuria, butttttt Max looks so physically good at 155 I hate for him to make that cut to 145 again. This is one case. I wish they would say screw the belt and fight at 155. lol

He should fight ilia, it’s a good match up for him, plus if he loses his fans can make excuses about how he’s drained at 145, so he can just perma move up to 155 then

Ilia will stand and trade with him and Max has a lot of physical advantages coming into that fight.

Islams ground game is too much for Holloway

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fullmetalharts
Back