News White to Aspinall: Defend Interim Title or Sit on the Shelf. You Don't Get Jones.

Aspinall takes short notice interim title fight to save ufc event when jones pulls out with injury

Aspinall is being denied title shot because jones won't fight him

Dana tells Aspinall he's not getting jones no matter what

Dana tells Aspinall to 'defend the interim title'

Why defend the interim title if he's never getting the title shot? Unbelievable disgusting corruption, shady, BS. Man i hope the sports world comes converges in on this POS for this, it's just sad

Good we aren't interested in aspinal.
He should fight pererira so Jones can skip asspinal and we get Jones vs Alex instead

Good we aren't interested in aspinal.
He should fight pererira so Jones can skip asspinal and we get Jones vs Alex instead
Alex would fight Tom and Tom would lose and then Jones would be like I want to fight Alex not Stipe?

<mma4>

They are shooting themselves in the foot. Nobody besides Dana, Jones and Stipe cares about that fight.

It doesn't even make sense business wise. Who gives a fuck about their legacy when both are going to immediately retire and leave the company anyway?
I think the point is their legacy has already been written and this is the farewell Fight they both want to go out on, people should just get over it.

its pretty delusional. Aspinall is in his prime and he has to wait out these two old dogs before he can realize his dream. If aspinall was a conor like figure Dana would change his tune.

at least tom is getting ppv points right ?

This is what it is. The most sensible thing to do is for Aspinall to ignore, support the interim, stay active, and receive the payments. Soon, this moment will pass, and everything will normalize. He has everything to overcome Stipe; he doesn't have to worry about these retired gentlemen.

They are shooting themselves in the foot. Nobody besides Dana, Jones and Stipe cares about that fight.

It doesn't even make sense business wise. Who gives a fuck about their legacy when both are going to immediately retire and leave the company anyway?

You guys sure bitch about legacy when fighters take fights they shouldn’t be taking. Now it doesn’t matter?

Which is it?

The fight with Tom means absolutely nothing because, at the moment, he still is nothing in terms of stipe or jones.

Sucks to hear it, but it’s the truth

Aspinal should defend his fake belt just so when he finally fights for the actual belt we can hear Bruce

"REIGNING, DEFENDING, INTERIM HEAVY WEIGHT CHAMPION OF THE WORLD!"
This actually happened with Barao.

It was different circumstances though as Cruz's injury got prolonged.

This time it's just a farce

Tom should be clever and fight opportunistically like Islam. Time fights so his opponents coming off a tough win with short camps. Beating Gane though would help put him at same record as Jones. Jones had easiest path to HW title and he waited for it.

You guys sure bitch about legacy when fighters take fights they shouldn’t be taking. Now it doesn’t matter?

Which is it?

The fight with Tom means absolutely nothing because, at the moment, he still is nothing in terms of stipe or jones.

Sucks to hear it, but it’s the truth

I would say the opposite. Beating Stipe at 42 and years past his title run mean very little as far as what you did at HW. It's like beating Fedor now, great win but don't act like you beat the "real" Fedor.

Beating Aspinall is beating the "new wave" of heavyweights. Aspinall has proven he is the todays heavyweights after KOing Pav. Jones cleared the LHW division and always talked about moving up to HW. Taking out Gane and Aspinall would be as close to clearing out HW as you could get in 2 fights.

I feel like it should've been a BMF match and the HW division could've moved on.

I think the point is their legacy has already been written and this is the farewell Fight they both want to go out on, people should just get over it.

That's half of the point. The other half is, it makes the HW belt worthless. This might as well be for a made up HOF belt.

No Dana, you want Stipe vs Jones. Us fans want Aspinall vs Jones. As a business man, I’m surprised about Dana holding up the HW division because of the wife beater.
Jones doesn't want Aspinall. Jones has been extremely smart with his entire career. He wont risk his 'undefeated' status (although he clearly lost at least once to one of Gus, Santos or Reyes). He wouldn't fight Chael Sonnen (coming off a KO loss to Anderson Silva) on a weeks notice and the card was scrapped. He left the LHW division once he had two of the toughest fights in his career. He conveniently decided to fight at HW once Ngannou was gone and Gane was the fight (who had a very glaring weakness in his ground game). There is no way he would risk his entire legacy to fight Aspinall, because while it would be a pretty good achievement and legitimize his champion status, it's a very risky fight as Tom is well-rounded and in his prime.

The fight with Stipe makes sense because Stipe is a top 5 HW of all time and at this point will be 42/43 years old when the fight is made. He also hasn't lost a bunch of fights in a row (only one KO to Ngannou) so people can't claim he's out of his prime. Reminds me of GSP moving up to MW to fight Bisping.

"Listen here, if Dan Severn wants to defend his lineal title, Tom Aspinall can sit on the shelf."

Stipe will likely retire win or lose. But I think Jon will continue to fight. He's contract is too good and it's now that he's gonna make serious money.

Jones doesn't want Aspinall. Jones has been extremely smart with his entire career. He wont risk his 'undefeated' status (although he clearly lost at least once to one of Gus, Santos or Reyes). He wouldn't fight Chael Sonnen (coming off a KO loss to Anderson Silva) on a weeks notice and the card was scrapped. He left the LHW division once he had two of the toughest fights in his career. He conveniently decided to fight at HW once Ngannou was gone and Gane was the fight (who had a very glaring weakness in his ground game). There is no way he would risk his entire legacy to fight Aspinall, because while it would be a pretty good achievement and legitimize his champion status, it's a very risky fight as Tom is well-rounded and in his prime.

The fight with Stipe makes sense because Stipe is a top 5 HW of all time and at this point will be 42/43 years old when the fight is made. He also hasn't lost a bunch of fights in a row (only one KO to Ngannou) so people can't claim he's out of his prime. Reminds me of GSP moving up to MW to fight Bisping.

If he beats Stipe, he will fight Aspinal. I know it's far away from now, but I am pretty certain he will. I know how Jon works and the signs all point to the fight happening. Besides, Jon's contract now is so good that he will continue to fight.

Back