Who at 155 beats Gillespie?

How do you know he is tough as nails. He dry humps for a living
There’s a big difference between dry humping and finishing fights, which he has done in 11 of 13 wins.

Enough with the "dry humping" BS. Gillespie has shown he has real MMA talent, and it's time he gets a real test. But does anyone ranked above him have the balls to take on the challenge?

lol you are painful. as TS said... only furg and khabib would be heavy favorites. he fuckin smokes dustin, lee, al, vick, geathje, barboza, conor.. gtfo
You could be right, but it's too soon to say he'd smoke anyone in the top ten. Beating Yancy and some cans doesn't make an elite fighter imo.

Everyone in the top 10 beats him. Islam would probably be the best fight for him at the moment.

At this rate, probably himself. He's only getting older, while refusing to call out anybody from the top 10.

He's had like 5 fights now? Meanwhile Hernandez fights Cowboy in his 3rd UFC fight. Point being that Gregor needs to talk more for his own sake. I really want to see him fight top competition now.
It sounds like you have a lot of experience and insight into managing UFC fighter careers...

Khabib, Tony, Al, Lee, and Cerrone all beat him. He's a tough out for the rest of the division. It's hard to really gauge where he's at, his level of competition hasn't been all that high.

Interesting, since Khabib seems to be a draw now from being a "boring grinder"
Khabib has a whole religion behind him though and that's why he's as popular as he is, who is Gillespie gonna have behind him? Americans don't support their fellow countrymen in the same type of way, unless he taps into some secret fisherman fanbase.

Last edited:
Khabib has a whole religion behind him though and that's why he's as popular as he is, who is Gillespie gonna have behind him? Americans don't support their fellow countrymen in the same type of way, unless he take into some secret fisherman fanbase.

Russians don't buy ppv, it's the American fanbase that matters.

I think he has a decent shot against almost anybody in the top 10, including Khabib. His wrestling is one of the best in the division, and anyone who doesn't see this knows absolutely nothing about wrestling, and is not even worth arguing with. His biggest challenges would be against top level strikers with good distance management, good defensive wrestling, and is good off their back. I think He would have the most trouble with Tony, Cowboy, and Al. I think Khabib and Lee would be toss ups, Primarily due to Gillespie's small stature. But I think he would wrestle fuck Connor, Vick, Poirier, and Barboza. Not sure about Gaitje, and Petis, but I think Gilespie has the advantage.

View attachment 508555
In all honesty, I only see him beating Vick and maybe Barboza, if he can get a lock on him. I'm discounting Pettis as he's moving to 170. He's talented for sure, but LW is a shark tank. Him vs Hooker is the fight to make imo.
March 5th will be the 3yr anniversary of Nate Diaz last win. How is he in the top ten? I’m not even taking away from his skill level but normally a contender list only has active fighters,

Gregor's relentless, very fun to watch. Hopefully he gets a top 5-10 guy next.

It is unbelievable how amazing LW is. Not long ago Dariush was a top 15, then Chiesa beats him out of the top 10 picture and Barboza sent him to the "was never that good" list. Then Chiesa was going up until Kevin Lee and then a Pettis (who half of sherdog assumed was in his way to retirement and some people were saying that "was never that good") made everyone think that Chiesa was "never that good". Afterwards Kevin Lee is supposed to be the new second coming, and a real state guy, who sherdog again dished like an amateur and "was never that good" after Khabib beat him for 25 minutes, stops him and Kevin Lee was another one of those "was never that good." Now Gillespi seems to be the new "second coming" in the LW after beating several guys, one of them, Medeiros who a few years ago was one of those same prospects, but now people is putting him in the "was never that good" list.

This division is fucking great.

Everyone in the top 10 beats him. Islam would probably be the best fight for him at the moment.

Aside from Tony and Khabib, I actually can't imagine him not being favored over the rest of the division. I understand level of competition matters, but his wrestling is absolutely relentless and the entire division is made up of guys who are obviously good fighters but who don't have stylistic answers for what Gregor brings.

I think he has a decent shot against almost anybody in the top 10, including Khabib. His wrestling is one of the best in the division, and anyone who doesn't see this knows absolutely nothing about wrestling, and is not even worth arguing with. His biggest challenges would be against top level strikers with good distance management, good defensive wrestling, and is good off their back. I think He would have the most trouble with Tony, Cowboy, and Al. I think Khabib and Lee would be toss ups, Primarily due to Gillespie's small stature. But I think he would wrestle fuck Connor, Vick, Poirier, and Barboza. Not sure about Gaitje, and Petis, but I think Gilespie has the advantage.

Good analysis. Gathje was taken down here and there in the WSOF (although he showed good ability to get back to his feet). Those guys were LEVELS below Gregor's grappling. I think he'd handle Justin fairly easily. Same with Barboza.

I agree, we need to see how his top control stacks up against someone with a truly dangerous guard before we really believe he's a threat for the title. Gregor vs Cowboy is a GREAT fight to make next. Either Cowboy takes out yet another up and coming prospect and shows it's time for a top 5 fight, or Gregor "arrives" with a win over a big name guy. And we see how Gregor's top game stacks up vs a guy with a truly elite MMA guard.

For me, he reminds me of Frankie Edgar earlier in his career when he was a grinder and didn't develop his striking yet.

WHAT??? Frankie Edgar had good hands even early in his career. And a lot of his TDs came of his boxing. He didn't have power, but he certainly had good crisp, precise boxing.

Aside from Tony and Khabib, I actually can't imagine him not being favored over the rest of the division. I understand level of competition matters, but his wrestling is absolutely relentless and the entire division is made up of guys who are obviously good fighters but who don't have stylistic answers for what Gregor brings.
Most of the guys at the top all have underrated wrestling/ground game. That's why I think he gets beat. Poirier, Lee, Gaethje, Al all have good skills on nullify the wrestling. Gregor is relentless in what he wants to do but he's very patient once he got there. Didn't really try to much to pass or create opportunities to win until Yancy was soften.

Good analysis. Gathje was taken down here and there in the WSOF (although he showed good ability to get back to his feet). Those guys were LEVELS below Gregor's grappling. I think he'd handle Justin fairly easily. Same with Barboza.

I agree, we need to see how his top control stacks up against someone with a truly dangerous guard before we really believe he's a threat for the title. Gregor vs Cowboy is a GREAT fight to make next. Either Cowboy takes out yet another up and coming prospect and shows it's time for a top 5 fight, or Gregor "arrives" with a win over a big name guy. And we see how Gregor's top game stacks up vs a guy with a truly elite MMA guard.

While I think Gregor vs Cowboy would be a great fight, and I would like to see it, I don't want them to make it. Cowboy has done so much for the sport and the organization that he doesn't deserve another high risk low reward match up. I want them to make Cerrone vs a top 5 opponent, followed by a title shot if he wins.

If they want to test Gregor against submison artist with great striking how about Pettis? That seems like the fight to make. And that way Cowboy doesn't get fucked over.

Gregor doesn't get tired and he doesn't mind riding out certain positions against the fence. For me, he reminds me of Frankie Edgar earlier in his career when he was a grinder and didn't develop his striking yet. He also came up with the same regional promotion as Frankie. Gregor is a bit older and he doesn't want to call out anyone. I don't see him fighting Raging Al since they are both from LI and there is a bit of cross training that goes on. He is human bookbag but he has a lot of finishes so I don't mind.
He's ALOT better wrestler than Frankie . There are currently only three NCAA champs in the UFC, and they are Askren, Brock and Gregz. Not even DC was an NCAA champ (tho he had a good excuse in Cael bering in his bracket). Out of the three, one of them was a UFC champ and fighting for the title next; the other is 18-0, the lineal Bellator and One champ and the hottest signee in the UFC; and Gregor is now 13-0 and has absolutely steamrolled everything in front of him.

There is no question about what the best base for MMA is, and the better the wrestler, generally the better the fighter.

Cejudo: Olympic Gold
TJ: College wrestler but just beat by the Olympic Gold
Max: only non wrestler
Khabib: elite Daga wrestler
Tyron: All American wrestler
Knuckles: Australian champion wrestler
Jones: JUCO champ (and many say would have been NCAA champ with ease)
DC: Olympic wrestler

Super impressed with this guy. Top notch wrestling and is tough as nails..

Khabib and possibly Ferguson are the only two I would favor over him. I think hes number 3 in the division right now...

Thoughts..

you forgot dustin and al.

Back