Who can beat Islam at LW?

2560px-Flag_Blank.svg.png

Is there anyone?

Sure, I think Oliveira could beat him if he fought with a little more discipline. Gaethje, Chandler, Fiziev and Poirier might be able to catch him. Arman needs to get better but will have a chance soon. We’ll see how Volk looks with an extra ten pounds. Dariush could be interesting.

But let’s be clear — Islam should probably be -300 or more against anyone right now.

I think Volk matches up better than a lot of the current LWs do.

That said, I'd wish he'd take 1 or 2 LW fights before taking on a massive grappler like Islam. You are correct, size matters, and a giant wrestler is the worst way to find out.

Agree. It would be better for Islam too, if he wins and Volk is untested at LW it’ll be easy to write it off.

What makes you think a gatekeeper like Chandler can beat a transcendent fighter like Islam?

When you have KO power and you can throw (like Chandler can) there’s always a good chance.

gspserra2.gif

Fitch was around -300 favorite. Got KTFO in 12 seconds.

12hendricks11.gif

Last edited:
The only 3 people that IMHO would be able to give Islam a good fight are Dariush, Chandler and Volk. honorable mentioned to Armen Sharukyan.

I’m not picking these guys to beat him but on paper

Chandler: He may able to counter grapple enough to keep this fight standing and he has better striking/power imo than Islam.
But he likely gasses and falls victim to the pace.

Dariush- he can give Islam problems everywhere, but I also fear he could be nullified by the strength of Islam

someone else will show up

I don't see anyone on the horizon who is skilled enough to beat Islam, but there is a Greco-Roman wrestler on the US team named Kamal Bey that I think could give Islam a serious run for his money if the trained in MMA. He has a really exciting style and is almost always involved in absolute barn burners.

Back