Who does the UFC stat tracking?

OleBuffalo

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I was trying to look into the Max Holloway knockdown/not officially a knockdown vs Gaethje thing and have found it hard to figure out who/what records the stats and the criteria used. For boxing I’ve always heard Compubox, as an example.

The amount of times I’ll see what looks to me like a sub attempt or takedown or knockdown etc etc not get recorded in the official stats post-fight is annoying shit since not much info seems to be available about how it’s being done. Seems highly sketchy especially now that there’s so many betting services that do prop bets on specific stat lines, but that’s a whole different thing..

Anyways, do you guys happen to know more about it or have some resources to share?

<EdgyBrah>

Looks like in 2010 they signed with some company named FightMetric, pretty original name if you ask me, who knows if its a UFC company just to try and pass their stats as legit.

It’s all BS, they lie about strike numbers too, in the 5th round of volk max 1 I had the strikes tallied live at something like 42 to 26 for volk but they had it 37 to 36 for max, complete lies the whole way through and people fall for it

It’s all BS, they lie about strike numbers too, in the 5th round of volk max 1 I had the strikes tallied live at something like 42 to 26 for volk but they had it 37 to 36 for max, complete lies the whole way through and people fall for it
I’m a degenerate gambler at times, so im not the most unbiased, but I’d not be surprised even a little bit if the stats were being manipulated at the margins to advantage the house when it comes to betting. Something like significant strikes seems ripe for manipulation

I dunno, but even Max said he got dropped.

I assume it's something similar to how takedowns aren't counted the same way they are in wrestling. If someone pops back up in a second with no problem, it's not as big of a deal as a full blown takedown with control established and shouldn't be counted the same.

Just guessing - I have no idea who does it or where (if anywhere) the rules can be read.

I assume it's something similar to how takedowns aren't counted the same way they are in wrestling. If someone pops back up in a second with no problem, it's not as big of a deal as a full blown takedown with control established and shouldn't be counted the same.

Just guessing - I have no idea who does it or where (if anywhere) the rules can be read.
Definitely, and I'm sure that what we'd assume would be pretty close to what the stat people are going off of, it's just lame that we have to assume instead of having easily accessible(or accessible at all?) guidelines. Thankfully the judges aren't working off of whatever stats are gathered live, so whether or not a takedown is counted in terms of stats isn't relevant to how the fights are scored, but still just feels not right

Here's an inside look of the counting room in action.....
200w.gif

Just rewatched the last round on YouTube and I counted 33 landed strikes for Max. There was a few that I couldn’t tell for sure it landed bc of the angle so I didn’t add them.

Edit:
Just paid attention to Volk and I counted 39 strikes he landed there were a few leg kicks Volk landed that wasn’t visually shown but can hear it land that I counted. Maybe they didn’t count those?

Last edited:
I've always kinda disliked the live stat displays because they're generally inaccurate, and they even used to point out on UFC broadcasts earlier on after they acquired and started using FightMetric that the stats displayed weren't final. But the official reason for that was nothing corrupt, it was simply that they tallied what they could see live, and afterward they'd watch it back with the benefit of replay, slow-mo, etc. and make their revisions for the final stats that you see up on the UFC stats website. I wonder how much if any actual manipulation goes on to meet agendas, but ultimately I'm not gonna fully trust anyone tallying strikes live, whether it's the UFC, some other dude watching, or even myself. It's way too easy to miss things live.

Also there's the factor of total strikes vs significant strikes, which adds another layer of ambiguity to the whole thing.

I've always kinda disliked the live stat displays because they're generally inaccurate, and they even used to point out on UFC broadcasts earlier on after they acquired and started using FightMetric that the stats displayed weren't final. But the official reason for that was nothing corrupt, it was simply that they tallied what they could see live, and afterward they'd watch it back with the benefit of replay, slow-mo, etc. and make their revisions for the final stats that you see up on the UFC stats website. I wonder how much if any actual manipulation goes on to meet agendas, but ultimately I'm not gonna fully trust anyone tallying strikes live, whether it's the UFC, some other dude watching, or even myself. It's way too easy to miss things live.

Also there's the factor of total strikes vs significant strikes, which adds another layer of ambiguity to the whole thing.
Yeah there's just too much ambiguity and not enough transparency, especially for something that people can bet money on. This isn't a perfect example, but imagine if the NBA erased the three point line then had people decide behind closed doors which shots were 2s or 3s. Imo the ambiguity should be a bigger deal regardless of what shadiness is or isn't happening. If they were to add some transparency we might find that it's less ambiguous than it seems and there's a clear and defined standard to it, but at present seems like we can only speculate

Back