Who Got F'D The Hardest By Their Rival? (Pause)

LeBron

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Which fighter's legacy took the biggest hit/would be much greater if it weren't for someone else fighting in the same era? Where would Max be without Volk, Whittaker without Adesanya etc? Both those guys would have been champions for another couple of years with an extra handful of title defenses which is huge. Not to mention the amount of money they could have made getting those champion payouts all these years.

Any others?

Aldo losing to Conor
Cormier would probably be the GOAT if it wasn’t for JJ
The Gracie’s losing to sakuraba - lost the aura forever

I think Aldo's legacy was almost cemented but yes, it took a hit. DC is huge, probably would have been the GOAT.

Big Nog without Fedor.
Nobody ever talks about Jon Fitch but without GSP he might have been considerred an all time great.

Fitch is one that won’t get a lot of attention, good pick. He certainly wouldn’t have been champ aslong as GSP but I could definitely see him getting his hand on the strap.

wonder how Gray Maynard would have faired if he never met lil guy Frankie Edgar?

Machida/Shogun

Cormier/Jones

Aldo/Conor

Gonzaga/Cro Cop

On the last one, it's easy to say Cro Cop was always a bit overrated, but a lot of his success came from sheer intimidation and confidence, and it got shot to hell that night. I've never seen a fighter go from fearless killer, to scared and gun shy so fast. Every fight after that one, Cro Cop looks absolutely terrified to engage, and pretty much became a point fighter, who either scraped out fights by the skin of nuts, or got viciously KO'd.

Mirko without Fedor and Nog
Gus without Jones and DC

They would have at least gotten to be champ.

Which fighter's legacy took the biggest hit/would be much greater if it weren't for someone else fighting in the same era? Where would Max be without Volk, Whittaker without Adesanya etc? Both those guys would have been champions for another couple of years with an extra handful of title defenses which is huge. Not to mention the amount of money they could have made getting those champion payouts all these years.

Any others?
Aldo/ McGregor

Cormier would have gone down in history as the best LHW ever who won the HW title as an old guy to boot if Jones didn’t exist.

DC still won the HW belt so it's not him

I'd say someone like Joseph Benavidez. Probably would have won the belt if it wasn't for Might Mouse. And by the time he was out of his prime he got ran over by Figgy.

Back