Who had a flukier title win, Serra or Topuria?

Neither win was a fluke, but if it has to be one it's Serra vs GSP. Georges overlooked Serra and showed he has the ability to dominate him in the rematch. Volk was very aware of the threat Ilia brings, and what his gameplan would be yet he was helpless to stop it.

It wasn’t some random punch by Topuria, he punished Volk’s tendency in the fight to back straight up with his chin up off his jab. Trapped him against the cage and dropped the bomb on him. Nothing flukey about it.

Honestly I don't consider either win to be fluky. Both landed with shots that were intended to inflict damage and both won. However, of the 2, I think I'd go with Serra over GSP since Topuria won the first round before his 2nd round finish.

Volk actually won the first round, at least on the judges' cards. I do agree with your take on the use of the word "fluke" and how it gets mistakenly tossed around in MMA circles, though.

Henderson's win over Michael The Count Bisping. Ping proved it was a fluke in the rematch.

Volk actually won the first round, at least on the judges' cards. I do agree with your take on the use of the word "fluke" and how it gets mistakenly tossed around in MMA circles, though.
Bingo! Good post. He clearly won the first round period including every single judges score card.

I agree fluke does get thrown around too often, but certainly applies here.

Serra was a fluke. Ilia was planned and expected.

Bingo! Good post. He clearly won the first round period including every single judges score card.

I agree fluke does get thrown around too often, but certainly applies here.

I don't know how "clear" it was as it was a very competitive round with arguments to be made for either man taking it, but there is definitely no issue with giving it to Volk. In any case had the fight gone to Decision their cards are the only ones that would've mattered.

No, fluke does not apply here, but I know you're just doing your thing trying to get the torches and pitchforks brought out so I'll let you cook.

Serra hit GSP behind the ear causing what happened next. Then took FOREVER to defend the title and got the shit beat out of him. He got lucky its plain as day. I read that Topira guy fought a good fight. I didnt watch it tho so eh.

in hindsight it would not have been a fluke if serra crushed gsp a second time, so even if this ilia win was a fluke (it wasnt)
there would be no way to determine if it was till after the second fight.

Topurria (or whatever his last name is) by far. Serra beat GSP fair and square (then he got beaten in a very suspect performance by GSP). Volk just got caught after he was winning the fight. Topurria was lucky Volk's chin isn't the same anymore.

Last edited:
lots of people were picking topuria to win. look at the odds.

volk -130 favorite over topuria
gsp was -1300 over serra

Serra was a fluke. Ilia was planned and expected.
This is something I had not considered until right now. It could have been planned and the fight was pre determined. If that is the case, yes certainly not a fluke. You might be onto something.

If only Volk had used the interlocking fish smash, he wouldn't be in this mess.
Much like GSP vs Serra, I don't think Volk took hand sanitizer boy seriously. He's been saving the IFS for the big fish. Had he done it, we likely would have witnessed the first death in the octagon. Nobody wants that.

Serra hit GSP behind the ear causing what happened next. Then took FOREVER to defend the title and got the shit beat out of him. He got lucky its plain as day. I read that Topira guy fought a good fight. I didnt watch it tho so eh.

in hindsight it would not have been a fluke if serra crushed gsp a second time, so even if this ilia win was a fluke (it wasnt)
there would be no way to determine if it was till after the second fight.
You guys are saying the rematch proved it was a fluke and because the Volk rematch hasn't happened yet, we can't say it is a fluke. I disagree with that, but I respect your opinion. When the rematch does happen, and Volk dominates Topuria, will you then agree with me that it is an all time fluke?

This is something I had not considered until right now. It could have been planned and the fight was pre determined. If that is the case, yes certainly not a fluke. You might be onto something.

Much like GSP vs Serra, I don't think Volk took hand sanitizer boy seriously. He's been saving the IFS for the big fish. Had he done it, we likely would have witnessed the first death in the octagon. Nobody wants that.

You guys are saying the rematch proved it was a fluke and because the Volk rematch hasn't happened yet, we can't say it is a fluke. I disagree with that, but I respect your opinion. When the rematch does happen, and Volk dominates Topuria, will you then agree with me that it is an all time fluke?
Ill be honest I was rooting for Volk but after I found out he was friends with zuckerberg that ended that.
Eh zuckerberg probably paid him to walk out with him.

Back