Who here actually believes Aljermain is fighting Volkanovski if he beats O’Malley?

The ufc would not even let him challenge for a belt if he does not relinquish the belt (aldo style)

It's not impossible, Yair is the better and more dynamic striker but Volk is just a well rounded monster. If he is getting pieced up he won't hesitate to switch gears and put Yair on his back and pound him into oblivion.

Frankie did exactly that and whilst Yair has improved I just don't think it's enough to beat someone as good as Volk.
Yair is really active off his back, I doubt Volk will get much offense off on top tbh.

Last edited:
OI think Dana will make him move up permanently before a shot comes. And I think he'll have to fight a contender 1st. I get that energy from Dana that he'll make the guy jump through a few hoops

he obviously will

OI think Dana will make him move up permanently before a shot comes. And I think he'll have to fight a contender 1st. I get that energy from Dana that he'll make the guy jump through a few hoops
he wont have to fight a contenders fight but he will have to vacate the FW title and let merab fight for it. They wont let him hold both titles (rightfully so, in this case)

i just hope o'malley kos sterling so then this is all just a mute point.

Maybe... both will want something new to do, and depending on what's going on at LW, it might be the best option for both

i dont have any doubt, Aljo is going to move up after beating Omalley, why not.
Im pretty sure he will even be confident.

Aljo is not a popular champion and he's not Dana's special friend. Dana would much rather have O'Malley or even Vera as a champ, and he (Dana) would love it if Aljo relinquished the BW belt to move up. Furthermore, Aljo fighting Volk, regardless of outcome, would be right up WME's alley of "superfights" they so love to put on.

I think Aljo came in at 1 lbs under his last fight, 134 lbs. Never missed weight one time.

Oh for sure, I'm not doubting his ability to make weight. I just think it's gotta be a miserable cut for him, which will only get harder as he gets older. That, along with Merab also being at the top of the division makes me think 145 is in Aljo's near future.

I do. Why not?

If he stepped up and relinquished his belt at 135, I don't see why Dana would have a problem with it. I am pretty sure Aljo said he would move up permanently soon anyways due to age and the weight cut. Would give Merab the opportunity to fight for it at 135.
This is my point, I think Aljo’s plan is to move up, win the featherweight belt and then relinquish the bantamweight belt. Not the other way around.

Yes, I share the same view.

You all really believe dat our you just hitting keys..? Much respect to Alex he can try and maul, but he will just get stalled by a man that can play physically the same game of drowning you in the cage.
Alex? Volkanovski?
Wanna buy a handful of magic beans? Special Sherdog price for you I promise.

This is my point, I think Aljo’s plan is to move up, win the featherweight belt and then relinquish the bantamweight belt. Not the other way around.

Yep I believe that is his plan. He is not fighting his brother. He will relinquish when he goes up, and it will probably be for a title shot after he deals with O'Malley.

I don't believe anything anymore. I have lost all trust until both fighters have weighed and healthy to fight.

Dana White is clearly displeased by the fact that Sterling and Merab have expressed their reluctance to face each other in a fight. In various press conferences, he has repeatedly expressed his disapproval when fighters refuse to compete against one another. Aljermain Sterling has mentioned his desire to move up to the 145lbs weight class after defeating O'Malley. When asked about Aljo's plans to move up in weight, Dana showed little reaction and dismissed the question. I believe Dana will not allow Aljermain Sterling to fight Volkanovski without relinquishing his bantamweight belt, similar to what happened with Aldo and Pettis in the past. And to be honest, I don't even think they will grant him a title shot at 145lbs. The person who will likely face the most consequences from this situation is Merab. Aljermain isn’t relinquishing his belt and moving up to featherweight without a guaranteed title shot. And if Merab doesn’t want to fight him, he will likely be matched up against unranked opponents as a way to make a point. I anticipate that this situation will not have a favorable outcome.

Nope. Alex will rematch Islam after Yair. Plus the Goof doesn't even like Sterling, he wont let him get a big fight like that.

I don't think that fight happens. I don't see why Volk would want that fight if he beats Yair, and if Volk loses that's absolutely an instant rematch.

If Volk moves up again, I can see Aljo being half of an interim or vacant title fight.

Back