Who wins Prime Shogun vs Prime Anderson???

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I'd take Prime Silva over Shogun fairly easily at 205 or 185, I don't think it makes a difference.

Considerably better agility and speed, better striking, and I legitimately don't think he would be dumb enough to try to clown around against Shogun. In their 3 common opponents (Griffin, Henderson, and Sonnen), Silva went 4-0 with 4 finishes (and against better versions of the fighters in my opinion) yet Shogun went 1-4 finishing only Griffin. I don't believe I missed any other common opponents.

None of that statement is meant to discredit Shogun in any way, he was a beast in his prime and tough as nails.

Silva... Shogun was never on Silva's level....

If it's the Shogun who won the Pride GP vs the Silva at the peak of his UFC championship dominance, that would be an intriguing fight.
I'd bet my money on Shogun to win with some (but not too much) confidence.

At least give Shogun some better photos. The Paul Craig fight wasn't anywhere close to his prime years.

jackson_original.jpg

ccdc56926a43434aab64db991e819ea5.jpeg

Big fan of both fighters but I think Silva wins.

I think Shogun is a teensy bit overrated, but obviously still pretty damn awesome. I got Silva.

Shogun UD or GNP TKO

Prime (PRIDE) Shogun had awesome wrestling. Ragdolled Rampage who had some of the best TDD ever and Shoguns GNP is some of the best ever too. He has better grappling in general and an adamantium chin

This. Prime shogun actually could strike and grapple well. I think he would take Anderson down. Winning by UD.

The biggest travesty in mma history. But it happened. Shogun got submitted by Forrest Griffin.
So maybe Anderson.

True but shogun was on a 2 year layoff from knee injuries when he went to UFC. Forrest was active. Shogun ended up winning the title once he became consistent.

Also shogun in pride was in his early twenties, way different fighter physically than his run in the UFC.

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I'd take Prime Silva over Shogun fairly easily at 205 or 185, I don't think it makes a difference.

Considerably better agility and speed, better striking, and I legitimately don't think he would be dumb enough to try to clown around against Shogun. In their 3 common opponents (Griffin, Henderson, and Sonnen), Silva went 4-0 with 4 finishes (and against better versions of the fighters in my opinion) yet Shogun went 1-4 finishing only Griffin. I don't believe I missed any other common opponents.

None of that statement is meant to discredit Shogun in any way, he was a beast in his prime and tough as nails.

Do you think prime Shogun fought any of those guys though? I’d say no.

yeah, Prime Silva beat Prime Shogun, even 2012 a little older Anderson beats Prime Shogun

Shogun of Pride gets picked apart and sniper'd. He was too wild.

The Machida Era Shogun was very good. Calculated, technical. Anderson would have a hard time @ LHW with him, but would still win. Styles. Shogun was always too open for counters and would come forward very aggressive leaving himself open frequently. Silva by late TKO.

I will never forget the time Shogun admitted that even when Silva's career wasn't going well when he was at Chute Boxe, he was still clearly the most talented guy in the entire gym which was full of beasts back then. Rua wouldn't say that for no good reason.

You favor the version of shogun with blown out knees and no gas tank over the one that massacred everyone with an iron chin and could go for 20 mins

Shogun is bigger and stronger, Anderson at 205 is not the best Anderson

Silva wins imo. He's the superior striker imo and if he can survive Chael Sonnen's grappling for 4.5 rounds and win via sub, then he can survive Prime Shogun's grappling.

At that time Silva likely could have become LHW champ if not for his buddies Machida and Shogun being in LHW. Of course I'm talking about prior to Jones and later DC joining LHW.

chute box sparring videos would sell like hot cakes or cold beers<28>

I love Shogun, but he gets his ass whooped. Anderson picked wild brawlers apart throughout his career and Shogun got put on his ass a couple times in Pride.

Do you think prime Shogun fought any of those guys though? I’d say no.

No, Shogun was already pretty shop worn from his Pride days. And as much I as I try to pretend the first Griffin/Shogun fight didn't happen, sadly the result never goes away.

That being said... I did take into account that I believe Silva fought both Sonnen and Henderson when they were younger than when the two of them faced Shogun. Also, Shogun also never faced Henderson until he was into his 40's. When you're a mid-late 30's fighter, every fight could be your last fight... much more so than in younger fighters.

Silva and Shogun are both awesome fighters, but both at the peak of their game, in my opinion I would give the edge to Silva. I know there are a lot of Sherbros that enjoy discrediting Silva, but to put things into perspective, Shogun at the moment is 39 and Silva lost his title when he was 38, after reigning for about 7 years. And that feels like an eternity ago.

Since dropping his title, Silva subsequently broke his leg, came back and though he did not string together another long string of wins, he took the younger future MW champ the distance. He stepped in on 2 days notice to fight the LHW champ, who only accepted the fight with the condition it not be a 5 round title fight. As much as I dislike Daniel Cormier, I will admit that as a fighter, he's no chump and that was a tall order for Silva to take on 48 hours notice.

Back