Who would take it and how...Gray Maynard vs BJ Penn

zxyss25

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Its surprising that these (2) never fought, as they were top LWs at around the same time, then both dropped to FW around the same time to chase Frankie

Its also surprising that neither of one these fighters fought Gilbert Melendez

I would actually favor Gray over both of these (2)
Then I think BJ would decision Melendez

If BJ hadn't have been robbed at UFC 112 vs Frankie, this was probably the next matchup for the LW title.

That said, I have no interest in seeing either fighter ever fight again.

Both need to stop. BJ moreso. Grey's not getting KO'd by drunk Hawaiian bums.

Prime Penn would absolutely murder Maynard.

Gray shoots for a takedown and knocks himself out in the process.

giphy.gif

Gray was on team BJ in TUF, and they trained together I believe. I don't think they would have fought each other.

THat being said, Prime BJ would have had his way with Gray.

Styles make fights. Edgar's speed allowed him to beat BJ. Gray was not fast, more of a plodding wrestler.

No way, unless it was on the ground prime Maynard would have ko'd bj after bj gassing in the later rounds.

What? No.

Maynard had a horrible tank. That's all those guys talked about after that second Edgar fight. Gray gassed out in the third of their third bout and was subsequently knocked out because of his tank issues. Xtreme Couture couldn't stop talking about how Gray had to take it easy and not punch himself out, lol.

Penn ate boxer- wrestlers alive. He got robbed at UFC 112. He wasn't going to get dropped repeatedly like Frankie was, walking into punches. Penn also had a phenomenal, hall of fame chin at one point. He would've beat Gray's ass.

My God. What an ill conceived and ill informed post. Fucking Fight Finder users.

Maynard was a slow, mediocre striker. Penn would have lit him up.
He had no problem laying an absolute beatdown on Frankie in both of their fights early on directly after the Penn fights. It was Nate Diaz who broke Gray and made him want to retire. He knew after that fight the skill gap was too far.

He had no problem laying an absolute beatdown on Frankie in both of their fights early on directly after the Penn fights. It was Nate Diaz who broke Gray and made him want to retire. He knew after that fight the skill gap was too far.

Frankie broke Gray in their third fight. He was never the same again.

It took him 3 fights and countless concussions? Nate layed an asswhoopin down to the maximum effect when they fought, that’s wassup. Grey was never the same again.

He beat Gray's ass but Gray had nothing for him. Not even wrestling. He was shot. That Frankie KO effectively ended his prime and rendered him a journeyman. Nate beat up on a guy who was a shell of himself.

Gray would have to implement 3-5 rounds of lay n pray to win, and that's not happening. BJ puts Gray to sleep any way he wants. Or however Gray wants based off his history of putting himself to sleep.

They're somewhat buddies - as far as I know - Penn brought Gray in to train I do believe.

At the primes (Penn like 10yrs ago) vs Gray (8 or so years ago). Gray would get KO'd within two.

Gray would have to implement 3-5 rounds of lay n pray to win, and that's not happening. BJ puts Gray to sleep any way he wants. Or however Gray wants based off his history of putting himself to sleep.

Lol

Back