Who's career and character do you respect more? Jon Jones' or Francis Nganou's?

Why not post with your 2004 account?

There is little debate over Jones' resume having better names on it, but it does come with a lot of asterisks.

Between the PED's, blown up MW's, and aging fighters, there will forever be arguments made against him. He fought in a weight class which afforded him the ability to possess and use effectively his physical advantages against most of his opponents, and while it was not wrong, it makes people ask questions. There will also be the impression that his return to the UFC's HW ranks was entirely situational, and that Jones conveniently waited until Francis Ngannou had left the organization and is cherry-picking his fights. I may be in the minority here, but fighting Miocic now does not do shit for making Jones' legacy any better. If this fight happened 5 or 6 years ago, then maybe... but certainly not now. It's just the UFC and Jones choosing the safest opponent and likely the easiest win at HW for him.

As far as his character goes, Jones is a selfish narcissist and a gigantic steaming piece of shit. Fighting dirty, cheating, drinking and driving, abusing your partner, and lying show how little he cares of others, but when you get in an accident (which happens to even the best of us) but your first thought is to run away instead of helping someone else who might really need it, then going back to grab your drugs and then run off again... that's a degenerate fuckhead. If Jon was literally on fire, I probably wouldn't even piss on him to put it out.

I do admire Ngannou for rolling the dice and believing in himself. Things certainly could have gone the other way and ended badly,but it is what it is. I respect the fact he stood his ground and did not want to let himself be taken advantage of, it came at what some people would consider a risky or poor decision. Big Frank has also lobbied to get his opponents paid better as well. McGregor's opponents got a huge bump in pay too and it was directly as a result of fighting Conor, but Francis never used it as a means of active glory-seeking on his behalf.

So, as far as a character comparison goes, Ngannou and Jones aren't even in the same league. Not even remotely close.

I don't think any real boxing fans ever really thought Ngannou had a fighting chance against Fury, I certainly didn't, but he put on a good showing all things considered, and didn't embarass MMA fighters trying out the sweet science. He landed a solid payday, and set himself up for an even bigger one. HIs boxing matches don't really impact his legacy on MMA outside of the fact that at least he's not trying to fight scrubs or social media darlings. His MMA resume isn't terrible, but not on Jones' level yet.

Ngannou still does have time to add to his MMA resume, not sure if he will, and I think Jones is getting ready to walk off into the sunset.
Ask the mods lol

The thread premise seems like a dumb question because of obviousness but everyone picking jones' career, what about all the failed roid tests?

I would argue both for Francis also because he's had the balls to kick that scumbag dana to the curb and make more money than ever.

Proving you can walk away from their toxic working relationship and also no failed tests.
It's not a dumb question, threads like these will build interest in their future possible fight that's if jones has the courage to

Did you see the messages from Dana and Lorenzo about Jones? Jon has to take that shit and continue to work with them. So did Couture, GSP, Stipe and a bunch of other greats. They had to take Dana's bullshit and swallow it.

Francis doesn't, though. He stood up for himself and broke free of his repressive and soon to be illegal contract. For that he deserves the ultimate respect – maybe even a Harvard Business case study about how he did it.
I like the part where you left out that Francis was literally only able to do what he did because the champion's clause had changed over the years to only being a 1 year extension.

Which Francis got to exploit because he was injured and couldn't fight during that year anyways.

He also admitted he lost $7M by fighting those fights anyways on his old contract, but who doesn't need more money for something you're doing anyways right?

I like the part where you left out that Francis was literally only able to do what he did because the champion's clause had changed over the years to only being a 1 year extension.

Which Francis got to exploit because he was injured and couldn't fight during that year anyways.

He also admitted he lost $7M by fighting those fights anyways on his old contract, but who doesn't need more money for something you're doing anyways right?
You mean Francis was only able to do this because the UFC realized that it's illegal to have a perpetually renewing contract?

You mean he lost 7 million by not locking himself into a new contract like Jones and having eat shit from Dana for years to come?

You mean he gained 30 million + and counting – not sharing a cent with the UFC, and gets to fight the top boxers in the world for not signing that contract?

Yeah, what a dumbass.

You mean Francis was only able to do this because the UFC realized that it's illegal to have a perpetually renewing contract?
AKA Francis was in a completely different position from the other fighters you cited, thus making your point stupid.
You mean he lost 7 million by not locking himself into a new contract like Jones and having eat shit from Dana for years to come?
The $7M is what he himself admitted he lost by not taking a new contract since Stipe. Not Jones. That was nother $8M.

AKA fights he fought anyways for far less pay.

So yeah, pretty fucking stupid move there.
You mean he gained 30 million + and counting – not sharing a cent with the UFC, and gets to fight the top boxers in the world for not signing that contract?
You do realize fighters get paid for actually fighting the fight, not for signing it, right?

Francis is at $10M until his fight with AJ actually starts, where he gets another $10M, and anything can happen in 2 months that could prevent their fight actually happening.

As to not "sharing with the UFC" I'm guessing it's the dumb talking point that he doesn't have to give a cut to the UFC like Conor did. In which case please never manage either yourself or anyone else's finances as Conor's $130M pay from doing so was much, much, much higher than Francis is making off multiple fights.

It's like the UFC helping co-promote a fight to the 2nd biggest PPV of all time helps with pay or something.
Yeah, what a dumbass.
I've literally already pointed out he fought fights for less money than he had to regardless and lost $7M in the process but okay, nobody made this point but here you are bitching about it.

Jones as a fighting career, Francis as a businessman for his career

Jones has done a lot of dumb/shitty rich guy stuff outside of competition but is the MMA GOAT, Francis seems like the more solid dude and it's awesome that he put he birds up to Dana and the UFC and is getting paid.

Both would crush Fedor.

AKA Francis was in a completely different position from the other fighters you cited, thus making your point stupid.
The quality of UFC PR people is just rock bottom. You get what you pay for.

These are ridiculous straw man arguments. The UFC's illegally perpetually renewing contracts are illegal for everyone. When the UFC changed these clauses anyone with these contracts could have done the same thing. Instead they all resigned and Francis did not.
The $7M is what he himself admitted he lost by not taking a new contract since Stipe. Not Jones. That was nother $8M.

AKA fights he fought anyways for far less pay.

So yeah, pretty fucking stupid move there.
Yeah, stupid move not locking yourself in a contract where you get paid less and have to take shit from an abusive narcissist.
You do realize fighters get paid for actually fighting the fight, not for signing it, right?

Francis is at $10M until his fight with AJ actually starts, where he gets another $10M, and anything can happen in 2 months that could prevent their fight actually happening.
You mean like all the fights the UFC promised him including fighting Jones? You seem to be adding those up. I guess the UFC offered him $0 then because those fights didn't happen and "anything can happen".
As to not "sharing with the UFC" I'm guessing it's the dumb talking point that he doesn't have to give a cut to the UFC like Conor did. In which case please never manage either yourself or anyone else's finances as Conor's $130M pay from doing so was much, much, much higher than Francis is making off multiple fights.

It's like the UFC helping co-promote a fight to the 2nd biggest PPV of all time helps with pay or something.
You mean the UFC fumbled the bag by not co-promoting this fight? It would have made $100 million if they did and they would have got a huge bag? No? Francis can't sell a PPV even with the UFC's help? The UFC dodged a bullet? I guess Francis is happy he didn't have to split his purse then.
Make up your mind you low cost shill – sorry, "nano influencer". With how often you post I guess you get paid by the post.

obviously jones’s career obliterates francis’s, just as he would obliterate francis in a fight. easy call.

but frankly, i am not that impressed with francis’s character. he’s not terrible, just meh. he’s got pretty simple motivations, but pretends to stand for something bigger. he’s way overrated on the basis of where he came from (as if being born in a dump makes you a better person). jones has acted like a tool, but he’s also a more complex person, so i view him differently. if he ends up overcoming his demons like mike tyson, i’d say his character is superior to francis’s as well.

No but beating his woman in front of their kids, being a fake man of god while coke falls out of his nose, and knowingly cheating in fights and with PEDs does sir.
That's not fair. Whatever coke Jon puts up his nose stays there. CSO

Jones has been a cheater and an asshole on so many levels across much of his career.

Yeah, stupid move not locking yourself in a contract where you get paid less and have to take shit from an abusive narcissist.
He literally already was locked into the contract. He might as well have made an extra $7M fighting fights he did anyways.
You mean the UFC fumbled the bag by not co-promoting this fight? It would have made $100 million if they did and they would have got a huge bag? No? Francis can't sell a PPV even with the UFC's help? The UFC dodged a bullet? I guess Francis is happy he didn't have to split his purse then.
Make up your mind you low cost shill – sorry, "nano influencer". With how often you post I guess you get paid by the post.
Like I said, please don't ever be involved in handling finances.

obviously jones’s career obliterates francis’s, just as he would obliterate francis in a fight. easy call.

but frankly, i am not that impressed with francis’s character. he’s not terrible, just meh. he’s got pretty simple motivations, but pretends to stand for something bigger. he’s way overrated on the basis of where he came from (as if being born in a dump makes you a better person). jones has acted like a tool, but he’s also a more complex person, so i view him differently. if he ends up overcoming his demons like mike tyson, i’d say his character is superior to francis’s as well.
All these people pretending Francis is some saint sure have crickets about the fact he completely connned and screwed PFL.

Weird how that story didn't get anywhere near as much traction as the stories about his boxing... which he's doing at the expense of the PFL contract he'd signed.

Strange!

All these people pretending Francis is some saint sure have crickets about the fact he completely connned and screwed PFL.

Weird how that story didn't get anywhere near as much traction as the stories about his boxing... which he's doing at the expense of the PFL contract he'd signed.

Strange!
well, francis is too busy lobbying for fighters’ health care to fight in mma anymore.

I appreciate Francis due to his character, honesty & straightforwardness. Also for not being a continuous P.O.S. like Jones.

There really isn't an argument against Jon having the better MMA career of the two.

Him doing a lot of shitty stuff outside of the cage isn't his MMA career. It's his personal life.

Francis hasn't done all the shitty things Jon has so as a character, Francis is obviously the choice.

Back