Who's your 5 greatest rappers of all-time?

They were just fun. I wish we had an hour for the Super Bowl half time, only seeing Eminem for a short time was a shame.
I have friends in Detroit, they're trying to get me over so we can go to his Mom's Spaghetti diner.
eminem-moms-spaghetti-detroit-2-696x442.jpg
Lol it'd be so cool and nostalgic to eat here, I'd love to pull up to the drive-through blasting some:

Honestly I listen to rappers based on how much I enjoy their music as a whole, not necessarily how skilled they are as a rapper or lyricist. For example I know nas is much more skilled than three 6 mafia, but I still prefer three 6 mafia's music
And some weed with your hennesy?

Overall Mainstream Rappers:

Jay
Nas
Pac
Big
Eminem

Lyricists:

Kane
Big Pun
Canibus
Black Thought
Andre 3000

Storytellers:

Nas
Scarface
Cube
BIG
DMX

Honestly, there are so many factors at play. A top 5 can change based on mood or what element of hip hop you are discussing. Nas is probably my favourite overall hip hop artist of all time. I think he had the best combination of everything thats important in making a true emcee.
Fun Fact: Ice Cube used to pay his cousin, Del the Funky Homosapien to write lyrics for him when he left NWA for Da Lench Mob, and Cube also wrote practically the majority of all of NWA songs when he was a part of NWA

DJ Quik
X Raided
RA the Rugged man
Big L
MF DOOM

Special mentions:
GZA and Nas
BIG LAMOOOONT, IMO Jay-Z wouldn't be famous today if Lamont never got shot by gang bangers when they confused him for his twin brother. Or maybe he'd be even more famous and skilled because I thought his shit today doesn't compare to what he was doing with Big L

Lol it'd be so cool and nostalgic to eat here, I'd love to pull up to the drive-through blasting some:

That would cheer him up! He always looks so sad the last few years. For someone who didn't have the greatest upbringing, he's a clever wordsmith.

I loved the Linkin Park Jay Z mash up album and gig as well though, I would have loved to have had that surprise. The crowd didn't know till he came on.

Fun Fact: Ice Cube used to pay his cousin, Del the Funky Homosapien to write lyrics for him when he left NWA for Da Lench Mob, and Cube also wrote practically the majority of all of NWA songs when he was a part of NWA

If my mother knew what I was listening to with NWA on my Walkman she'd have had a fit.

Too hard to choose mang

Big pun
Biggie
Big L
Cage
Vinnie Paz

Or:
Eminem
Vakil
Necro
Goretex
Brother Ali
Aesop Rock
Krs-one
Big daddy kane

Non USA :

Chester P Hackenbush (British)
Kool Savas (German)
Even if Ali never gets the recognition he craves, whether it be for this or that, this song will forever be timeless for Americans

How do you judge something like this? Does rapping really lend itself to mastery? I'm sure some of you will talk about the lyrics, but how serious of a writer can you be with a 5th grade reading level?
So you ain't ever heard of Lil B huh? Dude has a cult following; protect the based god at all costs homie

It's about having fun, representing yourself in your lyrics, and hoping a few other like minded individuals will fuck with it

I'll make it clear, homes
I'm all about how it sounds
I deal with audio
My graffiti looks like shit
I dress how I dress and can't really dance a lick
The chance is this shit might never catch on
But my friends like my songs, and I like my songs
Life-long endeavors for the pleasure
Measure of ??? comin' weak, that's the treasure
I'm just a simple man
I like basic things
I'm a simple man, really
I'm a smart man [Yes, I am]
I like pretty things; I like dope things
I'm just a simple man
I like music fresh
I'm a simple man, get it?
-The Grouch- Simple Man, " We hate on fools for biting on Big Pun"

D.O.C also had some writing credits for NWA.

In fact, it was DOC who helped mold snoop and schooled him on writing lyrics when he was first brought into Deathrow.

DOC could have easily been a top 5 guy if the accident never happened.

2pac
Rakim
Nas
Ice Cube
DMX

HM . COLT FORD

Last edited:
So you ain't ever heard of Lil B huh? Dude has a cult following; protect the based god at all costs homie

It's about having fun, representing yourself in your lyrics, and hoping a few other like minded individuals will fuck with it

I'll make it clear, homes
I'm all about how it sounds
I deal with audio
My graffiti looks like shit
I dress how I dress and can't really dance a lick
The chance is this shit might never catch on
But my friends like my songs, and I like my songs
Life-long endeavors for the pleasure
Measure of ??? comin' weak, that's the treasure
I'm just a simple man
I like basic things
I'm a simple man, really
I'm a smart man [Yes, I am]
I like pretty things; I like dope things
I'm just a simple man
I like music fresh
I'm a simple man, get it?
-The Grouch- Simple Man, " We hate on fools for biting on Big Pun"

Well the album cover is hilarious so I will give him that. I dont know what happened but I just cant get into rap anymore. I was a big Nickatina fan back in the day though, loved how low fi and 90s his shit sounded.

If my mother knew what I was listening to with NWA on my Walkman she'd have had a fit.
Something about moms and NWA doesn't vibe, and I don't know why. My dad went to a concert in San Diego, I think for College kids, but they gave out Straight outta Compton Records, and my mom saw that in the attic and threw it in the trash.

They were the first rap group I ever listened to lol because my dad related to their music and actually encouraged me to listen to them because they worked so hard to fight for all musicians in their fight against censorship, which is why we have those explicit labels today on music albums. I think Eazy E was the 2nd rapper I ever knew of as well thanks to my dad and my buddy from the 6th grade.

Lmao I played Dope Man for my dad one day and I was surprised that was one of his favorite songs by them apparently. Who would've thought some NWA would have influence on a first-gen Indian man lol

Well the album cover is hilarious so I will give him that. I dont know what happened but I just cant get into rap anymore. I was a big Nickatina fan back in the day though, loved how low fi and 90s his shit sounded.
Yeah I feel that, the new house music style is just shit to me. There's no flow, they just ride the beat, instead of their voice, and delivery being its own product in a sense.

Something about moms and NWA doesn't vibe, and I don't know why. My dad went to a concert in San Diego, I think for College kids, but they gave out Straight outta Compton Records, and my mom saw that in the attic and threw it in the trash.

They were the first rap group I ever listened to lol because my dad related to their music and actually encouraged me to listen to them because they worked so hard to fight for all musicians in their fight against censorship, which is why we have those explicit labels today on music albums. I think Eazy E was the 2nd rapper I ever knew of as well thanks to my dad and my buddy from the 6th grade.

Lmao I played Dope Man for my dad one day and I was surprised that was one of his favorite songs by them apparently. Who would've thought some NWA would have influence on a first-gen Indian man lol

I think NWA were the first rap group I ever heard as well. Someone at school had it and it spread like wildfire with everyone borrowing it and recording it. My mum freaked out into a meltdown when she heard me singing Like a Virgin so the horror NWA would have brought would have been catastrophic. Thank goodness for headphones :D

I could still dig Straight Outa Compton, my metal/rock ass is a bit more rap/hip hop than I give myself credit for apparently.

This will be mixed with people's favourite rappers vs who they perceive as goats.
e.g Big L is one of my favourite rappers but I don't have him as one of the goats.

Back