Why are athletic commissions so arrogant

I mean, I wouldn't be mad about a DQ or an NC. But Copeland would have had to warn prior for a DQ to make sense..and he did not. I guess it comes down to that "double eye poke" where teh Chris was obviously more at fault but they were treated equally. That's why I say a point should have been deducted.

Do you have the short term memory of the guy from Memento? He very clearly warned Weidman twice, after he'd gouged Silva's eye on both occasions.

Do you have the short term memory of the guy from Memento? He very clearly warned Weidman twice, after he'd gouged Silva's eye on both occasions.
I was just editing to say he did, but that the warning was a dual warning. Again, a point should have been deducted. I'm a couple drinks in tonight, if I'm being honest.

And refuse to reverse bad/wrong decisions.

I mean it's clear as day referee Copeland fucked this one up 6 ways from Sunday yet the bogus decision remains.
Commissions are just so damn stubborn and arrogant

side note
Maybe if that ref keith Copeland spent less time injecting steroids into his 5ft3 frame and more time to the rules he may make better calls

How do uou know they won't reverse it? Have they released a statement? Normally it takes a while before a decsion is overturned I think.

Correct. If any fighter does what Weidman did he / she / they should be disqualified.

They weren’t though. There’s been far worse eye pokes than what Weidman did. Bruno probably could have continued, his vision came back just fine.

It was basically an eye poke that should have halted the action, probably a point deduction, and then they fight on for another 2 mins after Bruno gets like 3 mins to recover.

Weidman probably wins via decision. You can’t DQ Weidman there when there’s been far worse eye pokes.

The ref messed up, fairest way is to score the fight. You can’t overly punish Weidman for the refs mistake even if he did foul.

They didn’t give Weidman a win, they gave the person who was winning the fight up to that point the win, which was Weidman.

Had Silva been winning 1 and 2, he’d have gotten the win.

Weidman was winning 99% of the fight anyway

Winning via eye pokes, pawing at his eyes, and eyepoke combos. Lol
They weren’t though. There’s been far worse eye pokes than what Weidman did. Bruno probably could have continued, his vision came back just fine.

It was basically an eye poke that should have halted the action, probably a point deduction, and then they fight on for another 2 mins after Bruno gets like 3 mins to recover.

Weidman probably wins via decision. You can’t DQ Weidman there when there’s been far worse eye pokes.

The ref messed up, fairest way is to score the fight. You can’t overly punish Weidman for the refs mistake even if he did foul.

They didn’t give Weidman a win, they gave the person who was winning the fight up to that point the win, which was Weidman.

Had Silva been winning 1 and 2, he’d have gotten the win.

Incorrect.

Winning via eye pokes, pawing at his eyes, and eyepoke combos. Lol

Incorrect.

Has anyone ever been DQed over an eye poke? I can’t recall it ever happening.

The nuance here is important, they didn’t give Weidman a win, they gave the person who was ahead of the scorecards a win.

Weidman should have lost a pt., and then scored. Results still the same though.

No one has ever been DQed over an eye poke.
Rulings need to stay consistent for there to be Justice, if you don’t rewrite the rules, they remain the same as apply to all.

You can’t screw over Weidman when no one else got DQed in the same spots.

I always thought you can’t do a no contest after a certain point, dunno.

That's because it's rare that eye pokes are so obviously intentional. Weidman waved his fingers in Bruno's face all fight, landed two previously (1 in each round) and then landed a 1-2 eye poke for the finish.
He intentionally hit those eye pokes because Bruno was coming forward and trying to finish him. He was confident he was up and could risk a point deduction.

DQ are for intentional illegal shots. Those eye pokes were intentional. His fingers were open, outstretched and he brought the second one across for absolutely no reason after reaching with the first.

NC can happen at any point. Otherwise teams could just bank two rounds and then have a cornerman jump into the cage if there fighter started losing in the 3rd.

The very fact the fight was a TKO and then over ruled to a tech decision, should invalidate the result to a NC. Even the commision screwed the result. NC means something happened that invalidates a fair and even contest. The ref wasn't given a chance to deduct points for 2 intentional fouls. You could easily argue that was a 2 point foul (previous example Jones for Smith), resulting in a draw if scored. Everything about the fight screams NC or DQ.

Weidman intentionally cheated, the ref was useless (all night) and Bruno Santos should appeal that decision. If they let it stand, why wouldn'y you just eye poke someone when you are up two rounds and somebody is coming for you? They will just score the fight and you win by default.

How do uou know they won't reverse it? Have they released a statement? Normally it takes a while before a decsion is overturned I think.
I dont know. But what I do know is that it is extremely rare if they do. As a matter of fact, I cant think of one ufc fight that was changed days after the event. I've seen them changed in the octagon the night of, but days after... not so much.
This one very likely ain't changing and it definitely should

No one has ever been DQed for an eye poke.
You can’t go against precedence, it would be unfair to Weidman.

With all due respect I don't think I've ever seen someone land two eye pokes, get warned about it and then literally land a combination of eye pokes leading to the end of a fight before. I think that should allow for a new precedent to take place

I was just editing to say he did, but that the warning was a dual warning. Again, a point should have been deducted. I'm a couple drinks in tonight, if I'm being honest.

He warned Chris alone in the first round, prior to them both jabbing one another's eyes. Two warnings altogether. Anyway, he was obviously in the opposite position at the moment and didn't see what happened when Weidman landed his 1-2 combo, so it is what it is.

With all due respect I don't think I've ever seen someone land two eye pokes, get warned about it and then literally land a combination of eye pokes leading to the end of a fight before. I think that should allow for a new precedent to take place
Exactly. This one is terrible. Double eye poke for the win??
No fucking way. This #1 bullshit

Copeland got the eye poke call wrong but it's so hard to see them in live time that the replay is seriously necessary.

His other calls were fine. I know a lot of people called the Bill Algeo stoppage bad but I watched the replay and he was just getting wobbled, cracked, wobbling around more, getting hit again, not firing back with anything, that's a TKO

Herbert Burns stoppage was fine. Aslan vs Turkalj stoppage was fine. Taking a point for the low blow Burns did was great too

Honestly it should've been on the commission to overturn that with the replay. Copeland is actually one of the better refs in my opinion, maybe a competitor to Jason Herzog in the future

The “double” eye poke might as well be the same as a single one, it was basically part of one motion.

There’s been more than 3 eye pokes in a fight.

Edwards vs Belal was really terrible, Edwards poked Belal, got a hard warning from Herb, still keeps his fingers out there and scrapes Belal’s eye bloody.

Has anyone ever been DQed over an eye poke? I can’t recall it ever happening.

The nuance here is important, they didn’t give Weidman a win, they gave the person who was ahead of the scorecards a win.

Weidman should have lost a pt., and then scored. Results still the same though.

The nuance you have missed is the most important one

That's because it's rare that eye pokes are so obviously intentional. Weidman waved his fingers in Bruno's face all fight, landed two previously (1 in each round) and then landed a 1-2 eye poke for the finish.
He intentionally hit those eye pokes because Bruno was coming forward and trying to finish him. He was confident he was up and could risk a point deduction.

DQ are for intentional illegal shots. Those eye pokes were intentional. His fingers were open, outstretched and he brought the second one across for absolutely no reason after reaching with the first.

NC can happen at any point. Otherwise teams could just bank two rounds and then have a cornerman jump into the cage if there fighter started losing in the 3rd.

The very fact the fight was a TKO and then over ruled to a tech decision, should invalidate the result to a NC. Even the commision screwed the result. NC means something happened that invalidates a fair and even contest. The ref wasn't given a chance to deduct points for 2 intentional fouls. You could easily argue that was a 2 point foul (previous example Jones for Smith), resulting in a draw if scored. Everything about the fight screams NC or DQ.

Weidman intentionally cheated, the ref was useless (all night) and Bruno Santos should appeal that decision. If they let it stand, why wouldn'y you just eye poke someone when you are up two rounds and somebody is coming for you? They will just score the fight and you win by default.

Plenty of people do the outstretch fingers in your face. Weidman didn’t do it any worse than any of the other fighters that keep extended fingers in your face.

He wasn’t even flicking his fingers at the eyes like DC was doing against Stipe. You can’t prove intent to poke eyes just by outstretched fingers towards the face or basically 80% of old school eye pokes are intentional.

Also, it’s not like eye pokes are easy to land, and trying to intentional poke someone in a fight isn’t easy unless you are sparring eye pokes.

Unless Chris is actually sparring to land eye pokes, he ain’t trying to implement that shit as a strategy in round 3.

Plenty of people do the outstretch fingers in your face. Weidman didn’t do it any worse than any of the other fighters that keep extended fingers in your face.

He wasn’t even flicking his fingers at the eyes like DC was doing against Stipe. You can’t prove intent to poke eyes just by outstretched fingers towards the face or basically 80% of old school eye pokes are intentional.

Also, it’s not like eye pokes are easy to land, and trying to intentional poke someone in a fight isn’t easy unless you are sparring eye pokes.

Unless Chris is actually sparring to land eye pokes, he ain’t trying to implement that shit as a strategy in round 3.
It literally a rule you can't do it.It changed due to Jones doing the same thing intentionally.

- Fingers outstretched toward an opponent’s face/eyes constitutes a foul.

The position Chris's finger were in all fight was enough to deduct points at any point. He was even warned, when he should have lost points.
The second the first one landed and he continued the action he should have had points deducted by a competent referee.

Chris reached out with his finger as Bruno lunged forward, he then randomly reached his other arm across and again raked his eye. At no point did he attempt a strike until both those eye pokes had landed. He 100% was intentional in those actions which constitutes an intentional eye poke and DQ loss. He had been warned multiple times and should have already lost points before the pokes had the chance to land.Weidmans eye pokes were worse than anything DC tried. Weidman wasn't even trying to hide as he put his fingers into Santos eye area. His outstretched finger didn't move from that line at any point.

You don't know the rules of MMA and you clearly haven't trained if you think eye pokes are hard to land. It's easy to do in MMA if you extend your hand with an open fist. All you have to do to prevent it is close your hand when you reach towards your opponent.

He spent 3 rounds with his only distance management strategy being to reach with his fingers outstretched. He did it all fight and actively moved his hand across the eye area, everytime Santos moved into striking range.

The best Weidman should hope for is a NC due to commision incompetence. If they let this win stand, watch eye pokes define fights more regularly. Everyone will just go back to that strategy to manage distance until it's enforced again.

No one has ever been DQed for an eye poke.
You can’t go against precedence, it would be unfair to Weidman.

Edwards didn’t get DQed after he was hard warned by Herb Dean and then blinded Belal.
"You can't actually enforce rules because the rules have not been enforced before."
That's what you're saying. Anything other than a DQ loss for Weidman is just plain wrong.

"You can't actually enforce rules because the rules have not been enforced before."
That's what you're saying. Anything other than a DQ loss for Weidman is just plain wrong.
It's probably some of the most flawed logic I have seen on Sherdog in a while.

Weidman landed the most egregious eye pokes we have seen since a prime Jon Jones.
Nobody has been that blatant with reaching with outstretched fingers and intentionally poking someone for years.

He fingers didn't leave eye level and he was reaching with his fingers actively everytime Bruno tried to enter.
It was the primary reason Weidman even had success on the feet after his wrestling resulted in control time only.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
obrad
Back