Opinion Why are college educated people more liberal?

blaseblah

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Do you think it's due to liberal professors brainwashing students? Or that people with more knowledge tend to have more nuance and sympathy for others who are different from them?

It’s interesting because data shows the more educated you are the more you tend to lean left. The more wealthy you are, the more you lean right. The more educated you are the more wealthy you tend to be. Kind of a oddity that those 3 statements are all true. Maybe college is more popular these days and more young people are going because younger people tend to lean left but maybe they haven’t had a long enough to accumulate wealth or college is just less valuable these days with respect to making good money.

Experiences, travel, and education tend to open your mind, which is what we used to call being liberal. Today, Western [higher] education inculcates its pupils, feeding them an ideological diet that is decidedly anit-Occidental. Educators tend to be highly self-assured (aka righteous) who are not skilled enough to make more money or effect change in other ways. It's a perfect honeypot for the victim crowd who can use their position of authority to mold minds. There's a reason middle aged white women make up the bulk of the woke crowd and teachers. We are reaping what Western teachers have been sowing for the last 40 years and it's only going to get worse.

i was told by me ol momma that in college i would get marked on how well i wrote and not on my opinion. May have been true when she went to university.
I got a zero on a 2,000 word essay regarding how the government should treat natives. My prof wrote 2,400 words in red ink, not one of them to do with grammar, sentence structure or punctuation. Funny thing was i was a big liberal then, and i was writing as though i were my ‘bigoted’ uncle to test out how my mom’s words would hold up.
Anyways, it didnt bother me, then, as i wasnt enjoying school anyways, and i forgot about it, but when i hear the Jordan Peterson’s of the world speak now, it makes me wonder if that was one prof or the way things were.
That was 1994.

Do you think it's due to liberal professors brainwashing students? Or that people with more knowledge tend to have more nuance and sympathy for others who are different from them?

They are, at that age.
I’d like to see college educated people over age 40, over 50, and over 60, and see how things change.

I dont agree with this assertion, as the statistics flip every decade according to pew research. The political stances of each party have moved also, most 90s democrats could easily be described as libertarian today. Same for 90s republicans.

The working mans party used to be the left, now its the right.

Because the Republican party of today exists for the sole purpose of ensuring the ultra-wealthy maintain and increase their wealth. In order to bamboozle people who aren't ultra-wealthy to support this, against their own self-interest, the Republican party uses dog whistles for white grievance.

EOfoJH4WoAAeM-K.jpg

If you're able to exercise some critical thinking, which education - not just from college - will help you with, there is not much to be attracted to there.

Not so long ago college students had to learn Greek, Latin, and a third language to be considered educated. They did complex mathematics without a calculator.

their penmanship was superb and they could actually write papers.

non of these people would be liberal today

Many people in college today do not get any real education. They just get social indoctrination and told they are smart Bc they vote Democratic. Nobody is impressed with “polls” about the “educated”

Did you go to college? They don't exactly give you both sides and let you decide for yourself, and people who are dug in are a lot more likely to seek out affirmation than to change their mind, which is the entire reason they go after kids so heavily. Not sure what you're claiming they have "more knowledge" of that would push them to the left, but I can assure you university credentials =/= knowledge. If the bulk of your life's knowledge is gained between 18-22, that's just sad for you.

Social conditioning and indoctrination. If people want to fit in they have to embrace the left's radical ideology.

Last edited:
Young and indoctrination.
Let’s see the numbers 10, 20 years after graduation.

There “hero’s “ ie teachers say they should be.

I think people are just naturally more liberal about things. The issue is that college now teaches you what to think instead of how to think. It's no longer a debate of ideas. Once people get out of college, they feel threatened if someone challenges their world view because it's never been done before. Social media has amplified this time because it puts people into bubbles and echo chambers.

It's human nature to want to be around people that think like you do. You also get confirmation bias. You have to go out of your way to want to be challenged and broaden your world view and most people aren't willing to do that.

Back