Why are we pretending Gaethje is a bigger win than Volk?

You always see these types of posts after a fight is over with and how sure people were of the result.

Decided to check what you said before the fight and here it is:

Max all the way huh?
Yup I said that as well at one point, but the more I seen people on Justin's nuts the more silly it became to me and before the fight I was picking Max by decisive decision.

Cuz Volk is 35 and came back way too soon after being knocked out. You're acting like that doesn't matter for some strange reason.
It matters, and Volk being one of the most dominant champs in UFC history also matters. Gaethje is not a championship level fighter, Volk is a bigger win, and yes even coming off a knockout loss, especially considering that it was vs another dominant champ and on a week's notice.

Yup I said that as well at one point, but the more I seen people on Justin's nuts the more silly it became to me and before the fight I was picking Max by decisive decision.

So it wasn't Max all the way then?

That post was made in January so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt

.....Although here's a post 3 days before the fight where you give the same take

To me this fight is a tossup, the amount of people sure of Justin's victory is ridiculous.

Can't seem to find any decisive victory for Max posts tho...

You know whats funny? When pereira got knocked out cold and 3 months later he became champ he is called goat but when volk got TKO (he was not out cold against islam) he is washed and not same fighter thats why ilia beat him? Lol. These casuals are funny 😭 if you ask them fighters skill is nothing he has to beat king kong only then he is good
He got knocked out twice bro. And age is a real thing for small weights. And he doesn't hold 3 victories vs Ilia and Islam. Actually 3 losses.

And Volk didn't come back to be champ again. Alex won 3 fights since.

So it wasn't Max all the way then?

That post was made in January so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt

.....Although here's a post 3 days before the fight where you give the same take

Can't seem to find any decisive victory for Max posts tho...
Damn sherbro your investigative prowess is on full display, keep looking I'm sure you'll find it, I'm also due for a colonoscopy one of these days, can you look into that for me as well.

I understand how susceptible sherdog is to recency bias and now that Max just had the biggest moment of UFC 300 everyone is ready to crown him p4p goat, but y'all must have forgot that the guy had no answer for Volk and failed in 3 attempts to defeat him.

Topuria is like a quicker younger Volk that will hit him much harder, I don't get this narrative that Max is just gonna go back to 145 and take the title.

Gaethje is definitely a solid win, but it's been done before, he's been finished by several dudes before, and he's good but he's simply not a championship level fighter.

I didn't understand all the people saying Max was gonna get dusted in that fight, I was picking Max all the way, one of the most dominant FW champions vs a fringe top 5 LW who never touched a title.

Now I couldn't predict the way Max would beat him of course, I had Max by cruise control decision and we were a second away from exactly that.

I definitely enjoyed the way it went down in the end as much as the next guy.

That said, if Max tries that with Ilia, it will be him that gets sent to the realm of shadows.

That performance does make the fight a bit more interesting because before that I wouldn't even give Max another shot at that title, but I still don't see him winning that fight. Ilia will put his lights out standing and Max is not outgrappling him, forget the final 5 seconds of Max/Justin and snap yourselves back to reality... Max had a great run, but Topuria is the present and the future in that division.
this is like usman koing khazmat. even if he lost to leon twice.

Probably because most were expecting Max to get murdered and winning via KO was also not considered very likely.
I took Max straight up at +200 as I liked how he matched up with Justin given his better boxing and pressure. Then I saw he was also +800 to win by KO so said why not and tossed that in too.

The mad motherfucker delivered with 1 second left.

Sherbro, it's not there. <lol>
Ok, maybe "picking Max all the way" was a bit of an exaggeration, but I was arguing against the narrative that Justin is somehow the favourite in this fight for months. I was thinking Max but the overwhelming amount of sherbros telling me this is a mismatch made me question my own judgement so I said tossup because I accepted that Gaethje might catch him with something. I don't like to make bold predictions about who will win a fight on here because MMA is so fucken unpredictable, but if you put a gun to my head I would have picked Max no doubt.

I guess you missed all the "Topuria looked scared when Max called him out" threads.

There's a difference between "Topuria looked scared" or even someone picking Max, and someone saying "Gaethje is a better win than Volk".

I can see an argument that it was more high profile because it was at 300, or bigger in terms of a physically larger man, but I haven't seen anyone say that stopping a long reigning world champion and taking a divisional belt is a lesser accomplishement than having a spectacular KO over a top guy one class up.

I'm sure some asshole has said such a thing, but the collective "we" of the MMA fanbase is not saying that IMO.

There's a difference between "Topuria looked scared" or even someone picking Max and saying Gaethje is a better win than Volk.

I can see an argument that it was more high profile, or bigger in terms of a physically larger man, but I haven't seen anyone say that stopping a long reigning world champion and taking a divisional belt is a lesser accomplishement than having a spectacular KO over a top guy one class up.

I'm sure some asshole has said such a thing, but the collective "we" of the MMA fanbase is not saying that IMO.
It may not have been said outright, but people are acting that way.

It may not have been said outright, but people are acting that way.

I can't think of a better outcome for both guys that for a large swathe of the fanbase to think that the challenger represents a genuine danger to the champ. Fans generally don't buy PPVs for a squash match. Both guys are riding high, and the winner will gain a lot of clout from the other guys seeming like a harder fight.

I don't think it was Justin's best performance but they threw down. Justin was somewhat close to a title shot at 155. Max moved up and fought a 155er.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicenhot
Back