Why do middle age dudes fell such a desire to go on political rants?

I've got a feeling that this isn't just linked to the middle aged anymore.

Social media and the internet age has made it very easy for young people to be swept up into it, as well.

It may have been a sad thing, but I'd never dream of picking up a newspaper as a kid. Only bought the Gamesmaster, Official Dreamcast and Official Saturn magazines, that was about it. Only started picking the free Metro papers up when commuting to work.

I kinda already accepted you guys think our generation is a bunch of weirdos for not being fans of small talk but whats up with the outta nowhere political rants?
Every time im gonna talk to a client 40 years or older i know at some time he will get to " THIS FUCKING COMMIES IN OFFICE " conversation. jezz dude im just trying to do my job here can't we have a more normal conversation? Whats your explanation for this type of behavior middle aged guys?
Honestly, dudes over 40 were far less political than your typical 25 year old today when they were that age. I know multiple people who didn't even know who the president was when 911 happened.

As you get older though, you begin to hate the way the world starts to change. The millennials are going to lose their fucking minds over whatever these fuckhead teens are called now.

I hate politics. Whenever someone starts talking about politics , I just turn up my aspergers and make the conversation super awkward .one time i actually cut a fart and told the person I was talking to I had to use the can

Because they're a bunch of boring cunts with no hobbies, interests, or much of a life and they realize they're inching towards their grave yet do nothing to enrich their lives.

I stopped asking my dad what's new when we talk on the phone because all he does is bitch about the men around him who very much fit op's stereotype. I don't care at all and I'm tired of hearing about or from them.

I kinda already accepted you guys think our generation is a bunch of weirdos for not being fans of small talk but whats up with the outta nowhere political rants?
Every time im gonna talk to a client 40 years or older i know at some time he will get to " THIS FUCKING COMMIES IN OFFICE " conversation. jezz dude im just trying to do my job here can't we have a more normal conversation? Whats your explanation for this type of behavior middle aged guys?

Wait, isn't it Gen Z and millennials that need safe spaces, invented cultural appropriation and tell you over again that everything is racist?

Happens to you when you get to middle age. I care about shit i would have found boring as hell when i was 20

More like when people hit their 40s, they have an idea of what their remaining career arc is going to be and need someone to blame to protect the ego. It is hard for white middle aged guys with poor career prospects and little networth to not blame something. When I hear someone bring up politics at work, it is never from someone that is killing it. It is pill to swallow to realize that you'll never be this or that or that you were never capable of being a star or rich or whatever. I suspect a very large portion of the republican party is not really attracting racist but more so people that feel like the system or someone has cheated them out of what is owed to them. The ultimate "The World Owes Me". Most xenophobia, racism, homophobia and whatever I believe is misdirected work class anger.

Some good point here.
It's hard to find fault with your observations.

Those that are killing it have other topics to discuss.

A bunch of war room posters are seriously in this thread bitching about people talking politics?

<Manning1>

To be honest, I don't think about your generation unless I'm hiring, checking out a woman, or watching a fighter on the ufc.

As for the ranting people, I don't like it either. But, my company and similar companies are trying to shove the new tech cult philosophy down the employees throats. American entertainment and media is trying to do the same. So they might be ranting because the things follow them everywhere too.

it's an easy way to build up the idea of ones self and there's a fairly good chance that other people can connect with the topic one way or the other so it makes them feel relevant.

I blame Obama. If you have four hours, I'll tell you about it.

But seriously, go fuck yourself. I'm 52 and, like most people I know who are my age, I don't worry much about politics. It's not that important. It's all the young idiots who think every little issue is the end of the world and requires extensive discussion.
This. It's the other way around.
Also, TS contradicts himself with the smalltalk part.

Love you, sherbro.

JIRtULI.gif

More like when people hit their 40s, they have an idea of what their remaining career arc is going to be and need someone to blame to protect the ego. It is hard for white middle aged guys with poor career prospects and little networth to not blame something. When I hear someone bring up politics at work, it is never from someone that is killing it. It is pill to swallow to realize that you'll never be this or that or that you were never capable of being a star or rich or whatever. I suspect a very large portion of the republican party is not really attracting racist but more so people that feel like the system or someone has cheated them out of what is owed to them. The ultimate "The World Owes Me". Most xenophobia, racism, homophobia and whatever I believe is misdirected work class anger.

TS is from Brazil. I wouldn't assume they are all white guys.

you kids don't make smalltalk? I've heard you guys babble about nothing many times, guys and girls. Talk about nothing to make yourselves feel like you belong i guess.

as far as old men, i don't know, we often get weird, the older we get the weirder we get, i've seen it with some of my older friends. women get weird too, oftentimes it's because they can't handle the fact that they have no purpose and aren't attractive anymore, that makes them do some strange shit.

Probably because their wives have banned them from talking about it at home.

I find this to be false. In my late 20s / early 30s I was much more passionate about politics. College does that to alot of people. So were most of my friends and I had a really big group of friends. Around that age I could probably call at least 100 people good friends. Some of us would get in pretty heated arguments around the end of Bush and beginning of Obama period. But we always stayed friends because at the end of the day we valued hanging out and socializing with each other more. Now, recently turned 40, my friends and I never argue politics. But the sad thing is we drift apart and tend to be closer to the friends that we align with most. It really is sad but that’s life. If someone is too vocal politically either way, everyone is less likely to invite those guys to functions. We just tryin to have a good time
bro, stfu with that shit for a day or you’re not coming.

And as far as work, I’m glad I work in an environment where everyone is smart enough to keep their politics to themselves, especially people 40+ (because we just want to get our work done, we want to have good working relationships with our coworkers, and we just have better manners than to rant at work). We have mortgages and families to take care of. “Owning” someone at work does nothing but cause problems and we know this. Younger people wear their politics on their sleeves.

One of my closest buddies at work probably has the complete opposite political viewpoints than I do across the board. But we get a long great, I’m joining his fantasy football league this year. We get along well enough that he’s invited me into his circle of friends that he’s had for 30+ years. That’s a lot of trust imo. At our age, me at 40 and he at 50, we know how to talk about current events without arguing. We both probably save the real bitching for our wive’s ears who ignore our rants anyways. That’s something younger people can’t do or haven’t learned to do yet. My coworker and I can agree on the good and critique the bad without blaming a political party. We don’t try to change each other’s viewpoints and we don’t try to win arguments.

tldr…I don’t accept TS’s premise.

Back