Why do people act like poirier is a good boxer?

I love you bro, but.....idk
1252995769.jpg.jpg

-1x-1.jpg

Dustin-Poirier.jpg

6c37c55bfc1f01fe03b87a024c44417b

Yes I get it, he won all of these fights (har har), but I hope you see what all of these have in common. The Ryan Garcia special.

He's a little more than that, but he does always get sad when Teddy doesn't tell him what he wants to hear. In fact I'm almost certain Teddy has praised other MMA fighters boxing in front of DP, one of them being Max Holloway, lol. Even after he beat him at LW.

Excellent list. Would be interested to see the way you tier even then these guys.
I was talking about a low level trash belt holder, not one of the main belt holders. I get it though. 😁

Dustin established the TD threat early in both rematches. He didn't win with pure boxing or even striking. Conor's TD sucks and he had to fight around that.

Dustin was also feinting TD attempts and landing strikes thanks to that.

Yes this is MMA and Dustin is the better MMA fighter, but I don't think he's a better pure boxer than Conor.
Dustin didn't initiate any take down attempts in the 3rd fight with Conor, Conor was the one who initiated the clinch after he got lit up.

Last edited:
He's a very good MMA boxer. I don't care how he'd do in a boxing ring against a professional boxer. I don't understand why people can't grasp that they're two different sports.

he is a good mma striker, dont get me wrong

but people here talk about him like he's some great boxer when all he does is blitzes throwing looping hooks

he also has old fedor levels of head hunting, cant throw a body shot to save his life
He has good MMA boxing. If he didn't have to worry about takedowns or kicks, he's probably show better pure boxing as well.

Dustin didn't initiate any take down attempts in the 3rd fight with Conor, Conor was the one who initiated the clinch after he got lit up.

He feinted take down attempts. That allowed him to have more success in the striking.

He got pieced up and finished in the first fight, he got beat soundly in a pure boxing round until the leg kicks sunk in in the 2nd, and the third was weird cause mcgregor wasn’t fighting normally and initiated grappling

man vs boy, max on 6 weeks notice with love handles, poirier gassed and pushed max against the fence to save himself from getting finished
Completely agree. A lot of people don't analyze that fight properly and see that poirier won by being the better MMA fighter but got stunned and Conor was getting the better of him early when they were just boxing

Completely agree. A lot of people don't analyze that fight properly and see that poirier won by being the better MMA fighter but got stunned and Conor was getting the better of him early when they were just boxing
Poirier himself said Conor flash KO'd him with the left again in the rematch, but simply never followed up to finish him.

Conor's still the better striker. He's just also overall regressed as a fighter, which everybody's been saying for years but pretends "for some reason" doesn't count for the Poirier rematches.

Because he has some of the best boxing in MMA. What a lot of people consider great boxing wouldn't work well in MMA because of things like takedowns and kicks.

Hmm Teddy Atlas thinks he is a good boxer, or as it applies to MMA. Most trainers will agree I'm sure, it's basically an advertisement that fundamentals do work when watching him fight. Being flashy is fine but he is a good bread and butter example.

he is a good mma striker, dont get me wrong

but people here talk about him like he's some great boxer when all he does is blitzes throwing looping hooks

he also has old fedor levels of head hunting, cant throw a body shot to save his life
GOod boxer is in an MMA context. Nobody thinks he could hang with a pro boxing in a ring. But he has very decent fundamentals, good defense, etc. Yes he s a good MMA boxer.

you answered your own question, in the first sentence. he's good by mma standards. i haven't heard anyone saying he would actually do well in boxing.

If you have ever sparred, that sound can only come from body.

I did.
I watched it without sound... 0.25 speed. it didn't seem like it landed to me.
I'll watch it again.

He’s been working with a former world champion boxer for a decade. Dude can box

I assume that anyone who says this is talking about it in context to MMA, not pure boxing. That solves the mystery.

Back