Why do you live in your state?

1. Born and raised in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

2. Born here. Great place to live other than our climate in Melbourne, can vary wildly on the same day even. We get heaps of sporting events and all the big bands come here, diverse culturally so you can get authentic cuisine from any culture pretty much

3. I could probably get my equivalent house in Tasmania for less than half the price of my house, but I don't want to live there!

4. I'm not American but i way preferred Texas to California when I went to the US, it's kinda like country Victoria (with more guns)

New Mexico. Born and raised. Staying here because my field pays relatively well compared to other states. However, we do have high drug use and crime rates. I fucking hate the weather during the summer months though. I'd someday like to move up north.

My corner of the state is culturally closer to Texas than the rest of New Mexico tbh (more conservative people, blue-collar economy, etc).

It's a double-edged sword because Californians are avoiding this state due to those same high crime rates and no beaches, thank God. I don't think I've ever met a person from California that I liked.
las cruces?
if so how do you like it?
I've driven through it but I always feel like it'd be too small to be there for a long time (although I feel that way about Dukes City as well)

las cruces?
if so how do you like it?
I've driven through it but I always feel like it'd be too small to be there for a long time (although I feel that way about Dukes City as well)
Nah, I've lived in Carlsbad/Hobbs/Lovington area. I've personally never liked Cruces either the few times I've been there. Also, I used to work at a prison and a huge chunk of the inmate population was from Cruces lol. ABQ obviously lead the statistics in population. Fentanyl is fucking shit up left and right.

The jobs. There's a strong blue collar labor market here. You can just show up broke with little industry experience like I did and get a job making 50 to 60k a year. I don't like much about Nevada, but that's more than enough.

Almost all my family is here like well over 60 of us. We get together a lot do surprise parties during Xmas. I’d move but I’m not leaving my family. Even the ones who do move their number one complaint is how they miss all the get togethers.
Wow that is so cool, you're a lucky man to have all your people close like that.

Born and raised in eastern Indianapolis, Indiana.
While in the military I lived in:
North Carolina - 2 years
Louisiana - 2 years
Washington - 2 years
Texas - 1 year
Georgia - 4 years
Kansas - 1.5 years

Enjoy living back in Indiana now. Overall its a nice safe state with life cost of living. Although I spend every other month in Medellin, Colombia with my gf.

How cheap would it be to move in an undesirable state? Not sure.

And for your last question, I guess I'm more of a Texas guy. Got some family living there also.

Born in Fl, and it’s a black hole. Even when you think you are “out”, it pulls you back in somehow. Some way…
Go to FL on vacation, leave on probation, come back because of violation..

Though I’m trying to stay in Bangkok. I don’t want to go back to the states.

Born and raised in eastern Indianapolis, Indiana.
While in the military I lived in:
North Carolina - 2 years
Louisiana - 2 years
Washington - 2 years
Texas - 1 year
Georgia - 4 years
Kansas - 1.5 years

Enjoy living back in Indiana now. Overall its a nice safe state with life cost of living. Although I spend every other month in Medellin, Colombia with my gf.

How cheap would it be to move in an undesirable state? Not sure.

And for your last question, I guess I'm more of a Texas guy. Got some family living there also.
That's interesting if you don't mind me asking how did you end up with a gf in Colombia?

2 strokes in califonia? I thought for sure you’d be given life in prison for that. I would see the guys on their dual sports in the hills around th Lake Hughes area where I used to spend a lot of time.
2 strokes & you're out!!

I live in euphoria. It's a state of mind. Small population.

giphy.gif

Wow that is so cool, you're a lucky man to have all your people close like that.

Thanks man. I never really knew how lucky I was until I was older and started understanding how important that kind of stuff is. Especially when I started meeting some ex's with horrible families.

I live in Bay Area California because I just like it here. I moved to Napa from Hawaii in 2004 to complete my internship. I thought for sure I would move back home right away, but I was offered a job, made friends, and I still had the option to move back home anytime I wanted. Back then it was much more affordable too compared to Hawaii. Stayed here ever since. Met my wife in 2008 and had 2 kids within the past decade. We enjoy it here since there is so much to see and do in California and the area we are at is very affordable for us. Sucks to see cities like SF go downhill and the overall sentiment of many of the big cities have turned more sour over time. Even so I don’t see us moving elsewhere with the exception of Hawaii, however that would require many pieces falling into place at the right time or we would need to win the lottery.

IMO overall HCOL/VHCOL is what pushes most people away from California because if were being real California is the GOAT state!

I live in Ca because I was born here. Work on the beach and love the mountains away from the cities. Gonna live here the rest of my life hopefully move to the lower Sierra to ride dirtbikes. Ca is beautiful away from the cities

I'm not the stereotypical liberal Ca person
View attachment 1022268

More power to you homes.

People who've never been to California have no concept of the vastness of it.

It's like the size of Western Europe in one state.

It's very diverse, environmentally as well as philosophically.

I've noticed that Americans change their state quite often.

California, Texas, Florida, NY, Pennsylvania, Illinois are the most populated, from what I see.
Places like Alaska or Wyoming have the smallest population density.
I guess nobody wants to live in Alaska, because it is colder than a witch's tit.

So

1. Do you live in the state you have been born or decided to move?

2. Why did you move to your actual state? What do you like about your state?

3. How cheap would it be for someone to move to a state that mostly nobody wants to move into?
For example, Louisiana and Mississippi are the least desired states, from what I've read.

4. Are you a Texas kind of person or a California kind?

1. yes

2. i've never moved outside of my state. i was born and raised here, have my family here, and based my education and work in the area i'm in. i'm in the san francisco bay area

3. with much work being done remotely, i don't see how it would be difficult for anyone to move anywhere, really. it just depends on the amount of money you make, and where you decide to move to. a lot of my work still needs to be done on-site, so i probably wouldn't qualify, though i could if i chose to move in a different direction work-wise.

4. i enjoy the openness and acceptance of california. you normally come across of lot of very nice people in california. welcoming and very interested in different cultures. though i also like the, "live and let live" attitude of texas. california has a lot of regulations and within unspoken society as well. if you don't accept all cultures and in what they believe, you're seen as a bigot. it's a slippery slope when it comes to that around here.

That's interesting if you don't mind me asking how did you end up with a gf in Colombia?
June 2021 Colombia was one of the first countries that had opened up for tourism during covid era. Met her on Tinder while in Medellin. The fact that she is a demon the the gym/fitness category is what attracted me to her. In the looks category she's got some of those fitness magazine cover models beat. Good sense of humor and good attitude as well.

Reading the comments and Lake Michigan looks great.
Same for San Francisco Bay area.
I am talking about the surrounding nature, not the architectural style of the city.

What is your definition of a California person?
I got a sneaky suspicious that most people are pretty ignorant about what most "California people" are really like, theres a lot more to this state than the two major cities

Being an ignorant European, all I have is this old meme

ulkx0xokk3091.jpg

It was the only state that allowed immigration of Sexual Tyrannosaurus.

Back