Why does Joe Rogan selectively forget the Mercer-Sylvia fight? MMA vs Boxing

Mercer was nearly 50 years-old and couldn't even get anyone to license him in boxing anymore, which is why he gave MMA go. Yeah, he lost to Kimbo Slice but the fact he had any kind of success what-so-ever is embarrassing. Let alone beating a guy who just a year previously was competing for a heavyweight title. There is no way of sugar coating it.
Mercer himself won in boxing just the year before. Fought for a fringe title as well. Tim was a 330 lb mess looking for any way to get paid. As mentioned there are many more examples where the boxer is just a fish out of water.

All boxers have a punchers chance against mma fighters. Don't forget Ray Mercer got pummelled with ease by Kimbo Slice lol.

LOL. The fight only lasted a few seconds and Sylva was attempting to take him down, which you can see in the replay.

Total BS
Silva himself said he doesn't know what he was thinking standing

He keeps mentioning Randy Couture vs James Toney fiasco, "forgetting" that Ray Mercer put Tim Sylvia to sleep.

Can someone explain to me why he selectively remembers only one of the fights when discussing Connor-Floyd parallells?

Ive heard him mention it a couple times on his podcast

I literally went to YouTube after reading this quote and saw no attempt from Sylvia to take Mercer down
i remember this fight. this was supposed to be a mixed card. they were the main event and it was supposed to be boxing with boxing gloves. the commision came back like the day before and said no mixed events. these two apparently made a gentlemans agreement in the back before hand that they would only box while wearing mma gloves. then timmy throws a kick...

No he won't. Once Conors amateur, half bent kick lands he will be more exposed than by just boxing. It won't make any difference. Maybe if he has a superior clinch, then I can imagine Conor dominating Floyd.
Holy shit

"There's an unsanctioned fight Saturday night in Alabama between over-the-hill boxer Ray Mercer and former UFC heavyweight champion Tim Sylvia, the kind of ridiculous fight that gives combat sports a bad name. But the fight just got even more ridiculous, because just two days beforehand, the promoters have changed it from a boxing match to an MMA fight. "

There.
there it is!! ray even talked about afterward, how they made an agreement backstage. he was furious when timmy threw the kick

Because Sylvia was so bloated, out of shape, concussed and injured that multiple boxing and MMA commissions wouldn't even sanction him to fight. The fight was finally scheduled as a boxing match in New Jersey, who refused to sanction it under MMA or Boxing right before the event, so they moved it to Alabama a week later because of Alabama's incredibly lenient sanctioning rules as a Boxing match, and even despite their lenient rules they decided the day before the event that they STILL wouldn't sanction Sylvia for boxing, only under MMA rules on the basis of Tim's previous MMA accolades despite his failing health. They made a gentleman's agreement to box with MMA gloves, and you can even see Mercer give him a look when Sylvia throws that first leg kick and Sylvia looks at him like "my bad, I forgot" and then gets KTFOed.

It's just not a legitimate comparison when you consider how fucked up Sylvia was at the time. He wasn't even allowed to train by commission ruling for 180 days after fighting Fedor, then further injuries after stopped him from training at all against Mercer. He openly admitted that he didn't even care about the fight, and just took it for money, saying that he figured it was free money, and losing to Mercer in boxing wouldn't hurt his MMA reputation. He just didn't give a fuck and showed up when they told him to. So not only was he so injured and out of shape to the point that most commissions in the country wouldn't sanction him to fight, he didn't even attempt to train.

Because Sylvia was so bloated, out of shape, concussed and injured that multiple boxing and MMA commissions wouldn't even sanction him to fight. The fight was finally scheduled as a boxing match in New Jersey, who refused to sanction it under MMA or Boxing right before the event, so they moved it to Alabama a week later because of Alabama's incredibly lenient sanctioning rules as a Boxing match, and even despite their lenient rules they decided the day before the event that they STILL wouldn't sanction Sylvia for boxing, only under MMA rules on the basis of Tim's previous MMA accolades despite his failing health. They made a gentleman's agreement to box with MMA gloves, and you can even see Mercer give him a look when Sylvia throws that first leg kick and Sylvia looks at him like "my bad, I forgot" and then gets KTFOed.

It's just not a legitimate comparison when you consider how fucked up Sylvia was at the time. He wasn't even allowed to train by commission ruling for 180 days after fighting Fedor, then further injuries after stopped him from training at all against Mercer. He openly admitted that he didn't even care about the fight, and just took it for money, saying that he figured it was free money, and losing to Mercer in boxing wouldn't hurt his MMA reputation. He just didn't give a fuck and showed up when they told him to. So not only was he so injured and out of shape to the point that most commissions in the country wouldn't sanction him to fight, he didn't even attempt to train.

Show me where the gentleman's agreement was made to box only

Show me where the gentleman's agreement was made to box only
Do you not know what a gentleman's agreement is? It's not a written contract. But there was a video back when the bout happened where it was talked about. This was 8 years ago, I probably can't find it.

Do you not know what a gentleman's agreement is? It's not a written contract. But there was a video back when the bout happened where it was talked about. This was 8 years ago, I probably can't find it.

Why does Sylvia say he didnt know what he was thinking standing if that was the exact agreement? Makes no sense.

And why does Mercer dive after him if it was stand-up rules agreement?

Just accept it dudes, a 48 year old boxer won in MMA. 48..

A guy who got humiliated in K1. All he needed was one punch with those gloves.

it was talked about but never agreed upon

LOL my mistake. He seriously tries to box with him!

Dude you need to put perspective on Sylvia vs Mercer. The fight was promoted in Alabama which is usually very relaxed on sanctioning fights. It was supposed to be a boxing fight in a MMA cage. The rules got switched at the last minute to full MMA and Tim got washed because he stood up with him. It wasn't like Tim was practicing double legs and ankle picks for months prior to the fight with a smart game plan. He was supposed to box Mercer in a MMA cage and he didn't adapt when the rules switched. Nothing really groundbreaking about the fight. Sylvia is styliistically one of the easiest guys for a pro boxer to face in a cage. on top of this you had a perfect storm of the rules getting switched last min and Sylvia not being smart about the fight as well.

Always laugh at how Rogan thinks in his own little mind that he's the straight shooting Grand Poobah of UFC despite having never fought and being a UFC hype man all the time even on his own podcast.

Back