Why does the locked hands rule exist in folkstyle wrestling?

I found some different explanations online of what the rule means and when one is locking their hands or clasping and when they are not. But I couldn't find anything that explains why the rule exists.

locked hands - Wrestling Talk Forums (usawks.com)
Because the mat wrestling aspect becomes tedious if it doesn’t exist because the guy on top can just hang on and do nothing. Do a live go allowing it and you’ll see why.

Also.. not being able to lock hands makes you have to be more technical and learn how to control opponent and use leverage

Basically just to speed things up

Because the mat wrestling aspect becomes tedious if it doesn’t exist because the guy on top can just hang on and do nothing. Do a live go allowing it and you’ll see why.

Also.. not being able to lock hands makes you have to be more technical and learn how to control opponent and use leverage

You're the expert ITT but I always thought there was a "potentially dangerous" rationale as well. Even though you don't generally see them in folkstyle, locked hands freestyle gutwrench turns can cause rib injuries.

And not arguing but curious about being able to "just hang on" with locked hands. I'm a mediocre former competitor but even now in BJJ, in no gi if other guy is in referee's position I feel more secure with navy or spiral ride than hands locked around waist or seat belt grip. With the latter two it's like I'm just asking for him to hit a switch.

If I've already broken down his base and have both hooks in, then absolutely locked hands feels more secure in no gi.

I found some different explanations online of what the rule means and when one is locking their hands or clasping and when they are not. But I couldn't find anything that explains why the rule exists.

locked hands - Wrestling Talk Forums (usawks.com)
Well, because the sport's main focus is essentially mat wrestling, locked hands would make it way too easy for someone to just hold a position on the mat and stop the progress of the match. But part of the point of folk style is to prove that you can control another man on the mat or conversely, that you can escape from another man's control on the mat. Not being able to lock hands assures that you are going to have to actively work to do both of those things; you're going have to actively work to either turn or ride your opponent, actively work to escape his clutches, instead of just being able to stop the action with a single hold and keep him in place indefinitely.

Locked hands is different in freestyle because of the stand-ups and the lesser emphasis on mat wrestling.

You're the expert ITT but I always thought there was a "potentially dangerous" rationale as well. Even though you don't generally see them in folkstyle, locked hands freestyle gutwrench turns can cause rib injuries.

And not arguing but curious about being able to "just hang on" with locked hands. I'm a mediocre former competitor but even now in BJJ, in no gi if other guy is in referee's position I feel more secure with navy or spiral ride than hands locked around waist or seat belt grip. With the latter two it's like I'm just asking for him to hit a switch.

If I've already broken down his base and have both hooks in, then absolutely locked hands feels more secure in no gi.
The potentially dangerous aspect is not a thing for why it’s a rule. And yes there still is options for bottom msn but locking hands still massively limits options

Thinking of the rule against locked hands makes me think of how cool it was when ZST's GTF and MMA rules barred closed guard. I know that it was the competitors in the classic days of ZST that made for all the great matches more than anything, but the rules were great too. Closed guard is sorta the equivalent of locked hands and it can definitely slow things down.

Last edited:
It's children rules wrestling. Literally.
Or it’s a function of the goals and culture that originally produced the style.

Because I know your not making some asinine “freestyle better” comment because you don’t like a different cultures style of wrestling.. right?

Back